New King Edward Grammar webpage with on-line sample test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

OldTrout

New King Edward Grammar webpage with on-line sample test

Post by OldTrout »

Dear all:

Last year most of us found out about important dates/ information from KE Grammar schools via: http://www.kingedwardthesixth.org/

But I've stumbled across this new website for the King Edward VI Grammar Schools in Birmingham: http://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk/ - it includes both free State funded grammars and the two independent grammar schools.

This new web-site has an on-line version of the familiarisation test (sample 11+ CEM type exam): http://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk/ ... tion-exam/

So for parents heading toward this in September 2014 and maybe doing this at home and a little unsure how their child is doing - this may be helpful and will automatically score this small sample test.

HTH
rabbie burns

Re: New King Edward Grammar webpage with on-line sample test

Post by rabbie burns »

I think I found this last year and it was good in that it raised my ds confidence levels when he could do most of them. I have heard it said by others that it is much easier than the real thing. No idea if thats true though.
um

Post by um »

In fairness, that is a familiarisation test (as in familiarisation with some question type formats) and bears no relation to the complexity of the real examination.

I say this not to scare anyone, but to ensure that no-one is lulled into a false sense of security/understanding of the level required.
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Just to say in response to rabbie burns:

I agree it can give both your DC and uncertain parents a bit of confidence - little fish got this as a paper copy with her registration pack for the 11+ - she scored 6/8 (75%) - kind of borderline but made a simple maths error in one case. In the end she scored 213 (basically kind of borderline) - and is now off to our local comp - so we did find it a good indicator. She also felt that the questions style was similar to the actual exam - more than bond/ letts.

Personally um I think we all know there are no guarantees but if your child sails through this with a score of 7 or 8 out of 8 questions - that's a good indication they're up to the task. Not clear from your post whether your indicating from your DCs experience that this sample test was harder or easier than the actual 11+. I obviously don't know myself - but little fish said that she thought it was of a pretty similar standard.

Equally if your child doesn't score a 7/8 - that doesn't mean you shouldn't 'go for it' - but I think it is fair warning that your work is cut out for you.

Personally - and psychologically - what was useful (and I suspect what did it for little fish) - was in all these practice papers/ sample tests it is important to ensure that they take the time to follow the instructions and think through what is being asked. A good example is the 75% off question from the sample test with the link above - not sure if it was exactly this question on our sample test but certainly similar - and little fish calculated what 75% of the price would be - rather than absorbing they were after 25% of the price. I suspect a common mistake for most 10 year olds. So in essence she could more than do the maths - just somewhat lacked the comprehension skills to understand the question.

We found as we practiced (we went DIY prep for 11+) that often the issue was not doing the work but really understanding what you were being asked to do or in what form they wanted the answer (i.e. measurements given in a mixture of ways - mm/ cm/ m but answer in cm). My advice would be that it is worth the time going through wrong answers with your child (on the sample test/ practice papers/ 10 minute tests/ mock tests etc...) and making sure they understood where they went wrong and how to avoid it in future.

Can't say I totally solved that problem - but with a score of 213 she came jolly near.

HTH
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

I think OldTrout has a valid point.

Bham 11+ requires competency in the raw skills and speed, but also an attention to detail. That is why I think it's alleged to be untutorable. It requires a certain attitude, which I suppose carries through into the level and pace at which classes in the grammar schools are taught.

I often think of the 11+ as a kind of sorting game - like the hat in the first Harry Potter: who should go where. It's all a game, serious, to be played, but a game. And you start it from early years or before, with your own attitude, and it doesn't stop at 11+, GCSE, A'Level or Uni. Mind you a few genii are born to obscure families and sail through all regardless of circumstance, but they're rare - I've never met one - most of us have to work at it somehow.
um

Post by um »

Just to clarify that from my experience, I am saying that this online test is 'easier' than one would expect the examination to be.
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Hi all:

responding to another post where a newbie was confused about how and where to apply - I went to the new website advertised above and realised it doesn't have a link to the on-line application for the 11+ exam with the KE Consortium and directs you to schools. Trying out KEFW - I didn't find a link to on-line applications - but now have found this website where you can apply for your child to sit the 11+ for KE Consortium grammar schools.

http://www.birminghamgrammarschools.org/

Hope that helps
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Looking at the web-site last night to apply for the exams i notice that there is only the facility to apply on-line, does anyone know if we can print off the application forms and send off...just a bit fiddly taking a passport size picture and up loading it...
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

According to the website you can request a brochure with application form using the contact form

http://www.birminghamgrammarschools.org/contactform.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

You could probably phone to request one.

We usually pop in to the office itself (in front of KES) and pick one up, fill it in and return it immediately (having already taken a passport photo with us). Saves two trips. They give you a receipt when you hand deliver an application.

I did this last week and already have the paper acknowledgment with test location and candidate number!
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Thanks Moseleymum thats really useful to know...i think i'm going to do the same...much more easier :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now