KES edgbaston entrance exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gcpa

KES edgbaston entrance exam

Post by gcpa »

Hello All,

My son is in yr5 and we are relocating to Birmingham from Northants in a couple of months. He is sitting for the 11+ exams in September with the consortium. But we also want to try KES Edgbaston (without scholarship) to keep options open and not put him under any pressure.

We are quite familiar with the requirements for the entrance exams to the grammar schools. But completely lost when it comes to KES. Can anyone advice on the pattern of the exam for KES - is it the same as 11+? Is it very difficult to secure a place?

Thanks in advance.
Natalie74

Re: KES edgbaston entrance exam

Post by Natalie74 »

Hi there,

Well this is my first post in a supporting role. Last year my son was sitting the 11+ and took the KES exam in January of this year. The KES exam is slightly different. You have to apply separately and there is a fee (£25). The exam
Took place on a Saturday and was from 9-3 if I remember rightly. They provide lunch. My son said there wasn't a verbal reasoning test but there was a 'creative writing' section where they had a period of time to continue a story as the first paragraph was done for them. His was about the war. When you apply they send out an example of a test paper. If you're applying for an assisted place and your son has done well enough, he will then be offered an interview.

Hope that helps. Sorry it's a little vague. Time has flown since he was offered his place can't believe he's only got about 6 weeks of junior school left. Very best of luck to your son.
JaneEyre

Re: KES edgbaston entrance exam

Post by JaneEyre »

gcpa wrote:But we also want to try KES Edgbaston (without scholarship) to keep options open and not put him under any pressure.
Hi gcpa,

Just a quick note to clarify something.
You did not mean 'scholarship' but 'AP' (= assisted place).

Your DS will get a scholarship if he does brilliantly in the entrance exams and the interview (whether you like it or not, but most people like it!! or even dream of it!). The scholarship is not linked to your income and its aim is to attract very bright students into the school.
Traditionally, in order to prompt consideration for a scholarship, the child must demonstrate outstanding potential in the Maths section and their English skills would have to be reasonably good. But that was three or more years ago so things might have evolved...

please read here for more in depth understanding:
about AP: http://www.kes.org.uk/assisted-places.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

about scholarships: http://www.kes.org.uk/academic-scholarships.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

about music scholarships: http://www.kes.org.uk/music-scholarships.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hope this helps

good luck for your DS' !!+ route
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now