Open Evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sbarnes

Re: Open Evening

Post by sbarnes »

This year there were several parents playing up and insisting on year 11's taking them around the school; on such an evening where young boys have given up their Friday evening to show off their school and to have this kind of behaviour; I suppose indies are welcome to them...
FairyDust13

Post by FairyDust13 »

succeed wrote:'The issue, which you fail to identify, is the lack of access for actually disadvantaged pupils, with white working class boys being failed the most by the system. PP will go a way towards this IF it can manage to get them to aspire to it.'

This is the group that are most certianly being left behind in Birmingham and no-one is fightng their corner, I'm afraid. I doubt any will even take the test so the PP will have no effect - ChB is making little or no effort to reach these kids and their parents are far less likely to be 'informed' about it in the same way the local Asian parents are -furthermore, most of the links made with primary schools are within the areas highy populated with muslim children - some of these will be 'genuine' PP contenders, but I'm afraid I also suspect many of the successful ones will not. This is also the few of many Asian parents I have spoken to.Add into the mix the concerns about being in a minority and the problem is perpetuated. These are uncertain times and I have to say, i've never known Birmingham feel such a divided city as I do today.

Edited:
I am not a fan of censorship but need to point a few things out here.

Firstly you say: 'CHB is making little or no effort to reach these kids'. There is no evidence whatsoever that this is the case.
You say that most of the links made are with primary schools in areas highly populated with Muslim children. There is no evidence that this is the case.
You also seem to insinuate that Asian parents are more likely to 'cheat the PP system' which appears to be a racist statement made without evidence.

Gosh what an interesting thread……and appears to have made up for the lack of activity on the Birmingham forum this year!! :)

I just wanted to point out that both myself and DH on a visit to one of the Birmingham Grammers, (incidentally whilst discussing the demographics and cultural mix at the school), were informed by a member of staff that they had targeted and had links with schools in particular parts of Birmingham, or as the staff member put it ‘we ran a successful campaign in primary schools in ‘said areas’. This has led to an increased intake in 2014 from those areas and schools, resulting in fewer pupils coming from areas which would previously have provided a larger number of the cohort.’

These ‘said areas’ happen to have a large Asian/muslim populations. If the above is true then Succeed’s comment on this issue is a valid one

My own personal view (I may be wrong) is that due to government cut backs, this is to attract more PP children, hence funding. So regardless of race, culture, values, etc the overriding factor is cold hard cash.
allnew

Open Evening

Post by allnew »

I do not understand the comments of PP cheating. How is this done? If you qualify for PP you must have documentation to prove it and the school probably asks for it. How can someone cheat?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

allnew wrote:I do not understand the comments of PP cheating. How is this done? If you qualify for PP you must have documentation to prove it and the school probably asks for it. How can someone cheat?
Yes, schools do ask for documentation, so one would suppose that any cheating would have to be one stage back, e.g. successfully concealing income when applying for the relevant benefit.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

The most disadvantaged groups in the world of work are the following;
1.Disabled people
2.People over the age of 50
3.Lone parents
4.Ethnic minorities
5.The lowest qualified and
6 those from the most deprived local authority wards.
What additional rules should we have to level the playing field for the children of these groups? We have introduced additional rules and policies to address some disadvantages for some of these groups with the PP at KE.We have some Universities considering the types of schools children go to and their social backgrounds before making offers and the levels at which they make their offers.I noticed at KE High school for Girls a number of girls last year for courses like Medicine and Dentistry despite having the grades having to take a year out and reapplying a year later.Not all the girls were from wealthy backgrounds.Did I get this wrong? A number of parents for this reason are taking their children out of Independent education at the age of 16 and educating them in Grammar schools or sixth forms in the State sector.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Quasimodo, a lot of kids who apply to do medicine / dentistry / vet med don't get in first time round - they simply don't get a place when there is huge competition for places , UKCAT / BMAT scores and interviews etc etc .
It makes no difference what type of school they are at - loads get really good grades at A2.

Some decide to do something else instead while others have another go, improving their PS, getting some work experience and generally growing up.
succeed

Post by succeed »

FairyDust13 wrote:
succeed wrote:'The issue, which you fail to identify, is the lack of access for actually disadvantaged pupils, with white working class boys being failed the most by the system. PP will go a way towards this IF it can manage to get them to aspire to it.'

This is the group that are most certianly being left behind in Birmingham and no-one is fightng their corner, I'm afraid. I doubt any will even take the test so the PP will have no effect - ChB is making little or no effort to reach these kids and their parents are far less likely to be 'informed' about it in the same way the local Asian parents are -furthermore, most of the links made with primary schools are within the areas highy populated with muslim children - some of these will be 'genuine' PP contenders, but I'm afraid I also suspect many of the successful ones will not. This is also the few of many Asian parents I have spoken to.Add into the mix the concerns about being in a minority and the problem is perpetuated. These are uncertain times and I have to say, i've never known Birmingham feel such a divided city as I do today.

Edited:
I am not a fan of censorship but need to point a few things out here.

Firstly you say: 'CHB is making little or no effort to reach these kids'. There is no evidence whatsoever that this is the case.
You say that most of the links made are with primary schools in areas highly populated with Muslim children. There is no evidence that this is the case.
You also seem to insinuate that Asian parents are more likely to 'cheat the PP system' which appears to be a racist statement made without evidence.

Gosh what an interesting thread……and appears to have made up for the lack of activity on the Birmingham forum this year!! :)

I just wanted to point out that both myself and DH on a visit to one of the Birmingham Grammers, (incidentally whilst discussing the demographics and cultural mix at the school), were informed by a member of staff that they had targeted and had links with schools in particular parts of Birmingham, or as the staff member put it ‘we ran a successful campaign in primary schools in ‘said areas’. This has led to an increased intake in 2014 from those areas and schools, resulting in fewer pupils coming from areas which would previously have provided a larger number of the cohort.’

These ‘said areas’ happen to have a large Asian/muslim populations. If the above is true then Succeed’s comment on this issue is a valid one

My own personal view (I may be wrong) is that due to government cut backs, this is to attract more PP children, hence funding. So regardless of race, culture, values, etc the overriding factor is cold hard cash.
succeed wrote:I am not a fan of censorship but need to point a few things out here.

You also seem to insinuate that Asian parents are more likely to 'cheat the PP system' which appears to be a racist statement made without evidence

Just noticed this comment. Can I make it absolutely and unequivocally clear that I did NOT insinuate(or indeed, believe) one ethnic group was more likely to cheat the benefits system than another. What I did imply was that more Pakistan/Indian children would be taking the test than any other group. You are able to infer from that what you will, but really I am not going to dignify that accusation with any further 'justification'.

With regard to your other points, I'm sure this information is publicly available from the foundation office, so I will be back to you, affirmative or otherwise, in due course.
Just an update - I have called the foundation office who were reluctant to give information over the phone. However, I explained I was an interested tax payer and have put a request for information in writing, to which they have said they will respond.I'm already aware of several primary schools chb are 'supporting', which prompted my comment, but would like irrefutable evidence to present as this is obviously what the Birmingham mods are looking for. :wink:
Fairydust - I agree entirely it's all about funding and 'pure, hard cash' - which is what prompted my earlier comment about CHB being 'lazy' .
succeed

Post by succeed »

Never enjoyed any of the open evenings I went to. Far more interesting to visit the school during 'real time' in order to pick up the 'vibe',so to speak.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now