Obtained pass mark but decision not to send to grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
daveg

Re: Obtained pass mark but decision not to send to grammar

Post by daveg »

Because the ICT qualification that they make compulsory is (a) compulsory and (b) the CIDA, not GCSE.

GCSE ICT is also pretty close to worthless, and schools which make it compulsory are not doing their more aspirational pupils any favours.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Thanks. Never knew that although still can't see why a proper gcse should be regarded as redundant. At DS1's school RS is compulsory - is that seen as worthless too do you think? I personally think it is a very important subject.
UmSusu
daveg

Post by daveg »

A Level RS (in its various philosophy, ethics, etc variations): top class facilitating A Level for the most selective universities.

A Level ICT: not even accepted as a third A Level, not even for computer science, by those same selective universities.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-le ... mbinations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
slimchance

Post by slimchance »

Hi in answer to your original question my son didn't get in to the grammar school of his choice. Two of his friends did, but neither went. Both are at the local comprehensive with him. I thought their parents were crazy at the time but neither boys wanted to go and all boys, including my son, are doing very well in a good comprehensive. Do what's best for your children. Good luck
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

We have a ds that got grammar places in Brum and warks but we decided independent was best for him.

It is tough decision but go with your gut feeling. If the comp is good, then u have them both at the same school.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Each school is extremely different from one to another. Even grammars are extremely different and actually it has been an enormous surprise for me.

Unfortunately, one can not realise all aspects of a particular school from prospectuses or says of other parents as each person has his/her own views and his/her own child.

Guest 55, mystery and some others have tried to guide you very well concerning results concerning the upper stream at the comprehensive (Mike is always the star for giving statistics and factual facts!). Reread them carefully and try to understand their full meaning.

So personally, I would just put the two children in the respective school they have obtained... In one or two years, you will have a better understanding of the whole situation, be able to know the two schools properly... and judge what is best for your twins and they will have also their say... but also with parental guidance...

For stories of twins when one was accepted to a GS and not the other, I know so far just a case and the parents have put them in their respective school. After GCSE, the twin at the comp joined the school of his brother. The two brothers are studying medicine now but not at the same uni...

Good luck with your decision. Tony Blair once said it is harder to be a parent than a prime minister! (wink)
Last edited by JaneEyre on Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

'We have a ds that got grammar places in Brum and warks but we decided independent was best for him.'

Independent schools are another option for some. Certainly great in term of pastoral care, number of children per class, facilities... and maybe the capacity of indies to get rid of bad teachers (?). My last argument is a question really. Can head of indies fire teacher easily if the level of teaching is not adequate?
Last edited by JaneEyre on Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

No idea jayne eyre.
I guess if there is no lea involved, moving staff on would be easier but there are still employment regs.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

yes, employment regs. I wonder how the first contracts are made between indies and teachers. Maybe for one year only and they are renewable?
tabimum

Post by tabimum »

Hello OP, if you're still around I thought I would register as I have a child at Idsall and also have a child in Y6 who has got a 'strongly encourage' letter from Adams Grammar School, so we are in a similar situation - apart from the twins that is, and I can see that must be difficult.

We really love Idsall for our dd. She has flourished there - she has an SEN and has been supported so well and her grades are looking good in Year 9. I'd heartily recommend it to anyone. It's a happy place - they are very quick to intervene with any bullying (we had some in Year 8, they sorted it out very quickly) and encourage her so much. She loves it.

With our boy, we don't know what to do!! I feel the same about possibly turning down an Adams' place - it would be mad, right? We went to see it last week and we liked a lot of it, but parts of it we were not so sure about - it was incredibly rugby heavy for eg and ds is not into rugby or sport much really. His thing is IT, and Adams are not at all strong on IT. He loved the Idsall IT however, so he is incredibly torn - he sees the advantage of Adams and is attracted to the house system etc, but likes a lot about Idsall too. To put another spanner in the works, there is a brand new school opening in 2015 right on our doorstep so we need to consider that too (you probably know the one!) So I appreciate your dilemma. I hope I can set your mind a bit at rest about Idsall though - I would be more than happy for our son to end up there.

Any advice for me would be welcome!! Does anyone know much more about AGS, especially the sports focus and how that plays out for aun unsporty child?