King Edward the Sixth High School for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Camphillian

Re: King Edward the Sixth High School for Girls

Post by Camphillian »

mike1880 wrote:So far the main changes are (1) the over priced lunch is compulsory for Y7s and (2) blazer is now compulsory for Y7 and I think also 8-9 (but not actually available at time of writing!) and (3) probably most significant and definitely the most saddening, the very popular vice principal is leaving soon.

I anticipate (but can't remember having seen it suggested) that non-uniform in 6th form will go in favour of "business dress" (although that would be a grossly retrograde step of course given that very few businesses now require "business dress").

Miss Evans was a Quaker and consequently had a very different approach to her position than most heads. "Conformity" was never on her agenda, that's the aspect I think is unfortunately being lost.

Mike
Thanks Mike, that is depressing but helpful. It sounds as though there will be nothing to choose between KEHS and CHG, so I don't think I shall be forking out £12K+ a year for that. I thought KEHS used to seem a gentler alternative environment but maybe not any more.

As far as blazers at KES are concerned, KES is a very different school to KEHS so it will take more than a blazer to turn KEHS into a female version of KES. The boys don't seem to resent the uniform requirements, but I bet girls and parents who started out under Miss Evans will not like any changes to their sixth form freedoms. What will be next - a house system?
Teacosy

Post by Teacosy »

To be fair, parents of new year 7s were informed of the compulsory hot dinners long before the new principal's arrival.

As Mike said, there has been no actual mention of business dress for sixth formers; the dress code is still very relaxed.

Miss Evans was a unique and inspirational head and an incredibly hard act for anybody to follow, and it is still very early days. Positive changes made in the last year have included the introduction of mixed tutor groups for upper and lower sixth girls and improvements to the facilities including a very popular "chill-out area" for the younger girls. As a parent I am grateful we did not get a new principal who stormed in and made radical changes, but seems to have spent her first year getting to know this exceptional and very special school. I too wouldn't have voted for the introduction of blazers, but I can live with it if that's the worst offence and am looking for the positives: an extra layer of warmth and a safe pocket for the bus pass.

I don't know CHG at all so cannot comment on the comparison between the two schools. The only way to decide is to visit and ask plenty of questions.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I have heard many positive things about CH girls over the years from my friends whose children have attended at the school and who now attend University.We are simply ruling out the school for my youngest dd for two main reasons.The first being the whole ethos of the school is built around music and as much as we have tried with piano and drum lessons for my dd she has no real interest or passion for the subject.Secondly from where we live it would require a journey by bus of about one and a half hours one way to reach the school.We have looked for a school where amongst the normal things you look for in a good school she will be happiest and best pursue her interests in badminton and astronomy.To each of the schools we were interested in we have visited more than once leaving the final decision to where to go to my dd.She has also decided to take the exam for KEHS as much as I have tried to dissuade her although we don't want her to go there. She wants to do the exam to know she has passed it.Whereas we dont want her to do an exam for which we are not doing any preparation in case she fails it damaging her confidence.I have not taken her to KEHS although she has visited the school over the years when she was much younger.I have not sent off the application exam form hoping she will change her mind before the 20th January 2015.Whatever me and my wifes views on KEHS the onething my eldest dd does say the school gave her a strength of charachter with which she is better able to deal with what life throws at her.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Teacosy wrote:As a parent I am grateful we did not get a new principal who stormed in and made radical changes
I agree, changes so far have been minor but I see the blazer decision as the thin end of the wedge, being prompted entirely by a desire to project a certain image of the school; an image which happens not to be one I share and I think is contrary to the ethos of the school. Like Camphillian it was precisely the differences that drew us to KEHS, if the school is going to conform to the mould then I see no reason to spend the money - especially when CHG now gets better results than KEHS.

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now