Could DS get into Handsworth boys grammer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nard

Could DS get into Handsworth boys grammer

Post by Nard »

As I am new to this please could anyone help. My DS got 206 the cut off score at HG was 203 last year do u think he would have a chance of getting in. Also does anyone know if any of the schools have gone as low as 206 from waiting list.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
quasimodo

Re: Could DS get into Handsworth boys grammer

Post by quasimodo »

Put the school down as your first choice and see what happens .It may be good enough.

What I would say is that one of may cousins children a number of years ago failed to get a Grammar in the Birmingham consortium exams and got a place separately at Handsworth Boys. He got 3 A's at A level then got a scholarship to Reading University to read Pharmacy from where he got a First. It all depends on your child it is a good school.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Nard

Post by Nard »

Thanks for the advice. The school my DS really wanted was KEFW and I know his score at 206 is considerably less. I am debating on whether to put FW as first in the faint hope he could go on waiting list and then put HG as second choice hoping he gets in there.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Nard, I am afraid that 206 is very far from the usual (non-PP) entry score for FW. However, if you have the space on the form and putting it down is not at the expense of listing schools where your son is likely to meet entry criteria, then you have nothing to lose by putting FW first, then HGS and then any other options after.

Good luck. I know it is disappointing to have to reconsider all your options when DS has his heart set on a particular school but he has done very well to get that score in a pressured exam, whilst competing against a self-selected and generally very able cohort.
Last edited by UmSusu on Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
UmSusu
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Its up to you how you place them if you make the offer mark you will get your offer. Unlikely for KEFW but realistic for Handsworth boys.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
adhdad

Post by adhdad »

it would be interesting what people would think if 206 for a pupil premium score would be high enough for fw. I havent seen anybodys predictions for (pp) scores.
um

Post by um »

It really is impossible to predict!

It all depends on how many PP children apply for each school, and the scores these PP children have.
We simply don't have that data. Even the consortium doesn't have that data at present as parents are still filling in preferences.