Current PP number in Grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

succeed

Re: Current PP number in Grammar schools

Post by succeed »

I have worked in a school in an area which is regarded by the EU to fall into the bottom 5% of the most deprived areas of Europe. Therefore, i have met parents from both ends of the PP spectrum. There is a minority of parents with children generally languishing in the lower sets who haven't stepped foot inside the school since their child started. However, there are many bright PP children in the higher sets who easily out perform their non pp peers. Perhaps it is because of this their parents are more likely to take an interest and not dread parent's evening, i don't know. No doubt these are the kids the foundation seeks to attract.
But what I am saying based on my own experience of actually working in a school in a deprived area and not of simply 'twitching the curtains,' there are many children who would have thrived from a grammar education . To suggest otherwise on the basis of they 'want them to go on the dole' seems an attempt to sustain the status quo. I know PP parents I have informed in my area are extremely interested in the new scheme - esp where there is a bright child in the family- who wouldn't be?

The mind boggles as I try to deduce your location mike :shock: :shock:
sky111

Post by sky111 »

[quote="succeed"] I know PP parents I have informed in my area are extremely interested in the new scheme - esp where there is a bright child in the family- who wouldn't be?]

Right lets talk money. Pupil Premium is extra funding, worth about £1,300 per primary age pupil, to help support schools to raise attainment levels and reduce inequality gaps. Surely primary schools who claim this money, need to step up to the mark to offer the necessary additional teaching to those PP pupils who would benefit from grammar education.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Schools have to publish on their websites how the pp money is spent, it is closely monitored and they have to prove that it is being used and the impact it is having. I am paid from pupil premium money and we are constantly evaluating progress.
nicolajane1971

Post by nicolajane1971 »

The PP kids in our school have been going through a familiarisation programme ie tutoring for the last few months, organised by the KE Foundation. I'm presuming this is widespread across Brum, I'd hope so anyway.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I think they've been particularly targeting areas they don't get many applications from if I remember the letter we had from CHB, I don't know what that translates to in practical terms (although I'm going to assume it didn't include Harborne/Edgbaston/Solihull). I have some reservations about the ability of some schools (OK, I mean CHB) to adapt to a wider intake but anything that favours aspiration and social mobility has to be positive in my view.
nina1984

Post by nina1984 »

mike1880 wrote:I think they've been particularly targeting areas they don't get many applications from if I remember the letter we had from CHB, I don't know what that translates to in practical terms (although I'm going to assume it didn't include Harborne/Edgbaston/Solihull). I have some reservations about the ability of some schools (OK, I mean CHB) to adapt to a wider intake but anything that favours aspiration and social mobility has to be positive in my view.
Hi Mike. What makes you have reservations about Camp Hill adapting to a wider intake? I'm particularly interested as my concern is whether or not my son would fit in easily as we are a working class family.
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

PP expenditure is scrutinised in terms of 'narrowing the gap' in practice this is ensuring that the KS2 outcomes of PP pupils ( eg SATs results ) match non PP pupils. This is the first year in Birmingham that Grammar schools are taking on the challenge of diversifying intake via PP intervention. Currently Y6 destinations are not a 'narrowing the gap' measure, to include it as such and direct PP expenditure for 11+ tuition would be a bit weird.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now