Oxbridge entrance records for the Grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Oxbridge entrance records for the Grammar schools

Post by Guest55 »

A levels will have changed drastically before your child gets to the stage of considering universities so any data out there now is worst than useless.

I was thinking of some useful careers to society ... I do not consider tv executives, journalists, politicians or civil servants 'useful' as most of them are intersted in self promotion. There are many scientists from other universities just as important as Stephen Hawkin but their work is not so well known but just as important.
succeed

Post by succeed »

I would argue journalism provides a vital function for democracy, as does politics. I would also suggest that most people, whatever their subject, are primarily out to promote their own interests. I doubt there would be the mad scramble for medicine courses that there is today, if the pay was how it was in the early 90's.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I do not consider … journalists … 'useful' as most of them are intersted in self promotion
Guest55, and I thought we were friends :lol:

Seriously, though, for all the issues with our media, does anyone genuinely think we would be better off without a free press? "Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed; everything else is PR," George Orwell

sorry quasi, enough digression
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

As a previous poster has said, how do you account for student movement ? So the comp. educated kid who moved to FW for 6th Form - which school takes the credit for an Oxbridge entry?
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

I would say the latter as there is a huge gap academically between gcse and a levels in this country.
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

But the comp has enabled the kid to attain the requisite GCSE's. And by Oxbridge application time said teen would only have been with his 6th form for 12 months.

Anyway, I've got 2 children in 2 different KE 6th forms - any Oxbridge outreach programme has gone straight over their heads! Which is why they're probably not Oxbridge material :D
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

never give up till the fat lady sings....good luck
solimum

Post by solimum »

Anecdotally of my son's cohort at his comp ultimately around 12 went to Oxbridge - just one of whom had stayed at the (small and very new ) sixth form at the same school, while the others all spent their sixth form at a variety of grammars/ sixth form colleges and private schools across Birmingham, Solihull and Warwickshire. Quite a large part of the reason for that is no doubt due to the demographic of the parents (!) but it always seemed a shame to me that the comp never even managed to acknowledge their joint achievements or indeed gain any partial credit for it
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes solimum - that's why any data on this is flawed.

Oxford look at GCSE grades and want to see a strong set of A*s/As so the Y7 to 11 school has an impact on whether they get a place.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Quite a number of Kefw students choose not to apply to Oxbridge even though they meet the criteria
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now