What should we do?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sam1970

What should we do?

Post by Sam1970 »

We are very confused and will be grateful for advice. We live in Solihull and my son got 216 in Birmingham exam. Which is not good for KECH which we wanted. The other two options we are thinking are KEFW and KEA but how realistic with this score? He also scored 211 in Warwickshire exam which might not be good enough for KE Stratford school which we prefer but there is the option of Alcester school although travel will be difficult!!

Now we need to fill the CAF before Friday and Solihull allow 5 choices...I am thinking of putting 4 GS as top choices and the fifth a local comp. school but what would you suggest the order?
Nard

Re: What should we do?

Post by Nard »

I would put as my first choice the school u really want even though his marks may be low he could get through on waiting list. After that put other grammer schools in preference order with your local comp last. I understand exactly how u feel as I am having the same problem with my DS.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Waiting list scores for Warks last year were 220+ for KES and 210+ for AGS.

Hth,

JD
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

216 is very unlikely for KEFW but possible for KEA. You would have been ok last year but prior to that the QS was 220. If your comp is a guaranteed place then you can afford to risk putting 4 grammars first even though chances are not great.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Sam1970 wrote:We are very confused and will be grateful for advice. We live in Solihull and my son got 216 in Birmingham exam. Which is not good for KECH which we wanted. The other two options we are thinking are KEFW and KEA but how realistic with this score? He also scored 211 in Warwickshire exam which might not be good enough for KE Stratford school which we prefer but there is the option of Alcester school although travel will be difficult!!

Now we need to fill the CAF before Friday and Solihull allow 5 choices...I am thinking of putting 4 GS as top choices and the fifth a local comp. school but what would you suggest the order?
Have you considered bv or hgs? Decent gs. I think you've got a tricky situation - I personally would put 1. Fw 2. Kea - as they your preferable 2 choices; 3 & 4 between bv or kes stratford or hgs & 5 local comp.
You've got some serious thinking to do.........good luck
Sam1970

Post by Sam1970 »

Bob1892 wrote:
Sam1970 wrote:We are very confused and will be grateful for advice. We live in Solihull and my son got 216 in Birmingham exam. Which is not good for KECH which we wanted. The other two options we are thinking are KEFW and KEA but how realistic with this score? He also scored 211 in Warwickshire exam which might not be good enough for KE Stratford school which we prefer but there is the option of Alcester school although travel will be difficult!!

Have you considered bv or hgs? Decent gs. I think you've got a tricky situation - I personally would put 1. Fw 2. Kea - as they your preferable 2 choices; 3 & 4 between bv or kes stratford or hgs & 5 local comp.
You've got some serious thinking to do.........good luck
Thank you for all the replies. BV apparantly is a good school but the commute will be very difficult. I am tempted to go with 1-FW 2- KE stratford 3- Alcester school 4- KEA and 5 our comp school which is 3 miles away. The closest comp. is 1.8 miles away but we dont like it and if we dont get any of the choices we will go private
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

If you have the resources to go private then you have nothing to lose by submitting your wish list.
Sam1970

Post by Sam1970 »

We can go private but it will mean a bit of squeeze on our life style as we are one income household. It is frustrating that I pay my taxes (40%) and still have to pay for my child education just because my catchment area school is crap
pinkhousemom

Post by pinkhousemom »

I think all my local comprehensives (bar maybe one - and that's not brilliant) are in special measures. I am pinning my hopes on QMHS, however her score is borderline.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

pinkhousemom wrote:. I am pinning my hopes on QMHS, however her score is borderline.
P your daughters score is 320 which is not borderline you have a good safety margin.Last year the offer mark was 316 and girls got in as low as 309 from the waiting list. Demand for the school is impacted by the fact there are two girls schools in Walsall and Wolverhampton in the consortium but only one boys school.You can only get the one offer.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now