from Solihull to QM or BV

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

solihullpupil

from Solihull to QM or BV

Post by solihullpupil »

Thank you every one for some very useful posts on this forum. Since last week I was visiting this forum as guest.
Are there any parents who are living in Solihull and giving choice for QM or BV ? My son has scored 215 in B'm exam and 326 in QM exam. KEA is a possibility for him but my son has got not very bright picture of KEA and wants to go to QM, Walsall. Since I work in Sandwell , I think that it is possible to drop and pick up but I don't know how practical it is. Wanted to know if anybody else is making such far away choice. Thanks
reeyah

Re: from Solihull to QM or BV

Post by reeyah »

solihullpupil wrote:Thank you every one for some very useful posts on this forum. Since last week I was visiting this forum as guest.
Are there any parents who are living in Solihull and giving choice for QM or BV ? My son has scored 215 in B'm exam and 326 in QM exam. KEA is a possibility for him but my son has got not very bright picture of KEA and wants to go to QM, Walsall. Since I work in Sandwell , I think that it is possible to drop and pick up but I don't know how practical it is. Wanted to know if anybody else is making such far away choice. Thanks
With excellent schools in Solihull, I really wouldn't bother.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I have put Camp Hill girls as our fifth choice for my dd on our form purely because of travel from Walsall.

No matter how good a school is when its impractical its going to make your ds's and your lives very difficult. I am one of QM boys greatest fans but you have been given very sensible advice on the forum.Any travel greater than one hour is impractical.KE Aston is within your range and travel from Sandwell is also more practical during rush hours.All the grammars are good.Whilst I don't know the Solihull schools I am sure there will be some very good schools in the area.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
solihulldad

Post by solihulldad »

Hi solihullpupil

DS1 is in Y9 at BV. We live midway between Solihull & Olton. I know of 5 others in either Solihull or Shirley who are also in Y9 and travel to BV.

The travel may take a while to get used to, but is eased by the fact that DS1 meets his friends on the train so really looks forward to it.

From DS1's experience I'd say that many of the BV intake do not live in Sutton Coldfield but instead come from all over - many from central & South Birmingham. So not living locally is not a problem.

DS1 was in catchment for Langley and borderline Tudor Grange (our neighbours DS got in off the waiting list so we think DS1 could have also eventually), however we are happy with our choice as it suits DS1 - he's lazy and needs the higher level of peer performance to make him perform.

Also, even though there are elements of elitist arrogance, I believe a grammar school leaves it's pupils with more self confidence.

Hope this helps!
vectra

Post by vectra »

Hi . we are in exactly the Same position as you regarding schools. My son is also not keen on Aston but there is a school bus .Does anyone know how long it takes to get to Bv from Solihull? Also does anyone travel from Solihull to Queen Marys?
Any advice appreciated!!!!
solihulldad

Post by solihulldad »

Travel depends on your precise starting point. From Solihull to BV is about 45 mins by car or an hour by train/walk - best to leave 1hr 15 to be safe.
It is possible by bus too - but that seems to take a long time.
According to DS, the fact that you get to meet your mates on the train makes the journey something to look forward to.

Also depends on your starting point. Checkout Network West Midlands journey planner here

07:17 to 07:32 Train Solihull to Moor Street (DS actually catches at Olton 07:20]
9 mins walk Moor Street to New Street [this may vary over the year because of the New Street redevelopment]
07:47 to 08:06 Train New Street to Sutton Coldfield
7 mins Walk to BV
08:13 Arrive

Hope this helps!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now