Handsworth Grammar School OR Holyhead (Comp) ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jazz-UK

Re: Handsworth Grammar School OR Holyhead (Comp) ?

Post by Jazz-UK »

rabbie burns wrote:Sorry forgot to ask. Why does HGS win?
I believe that HGS academically is a much better school than Holyhead, not because its a comp, but because I know both schools. There are comps in the West Midlands, that are probably better than HGS, but Holyhead is not one of them.

However, B7NTU and childs motivation may not be purely academic, in which case Holyhead may be better for them.

I would also be surprised if anyone could prove that a higher percentage of Holyhead kids end up at Russell Group uni's than HGS - But happy to be proved wrong.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Whilst this is true of the school overall the only attainment a parent really cares about is their own child. At CHB for example a very high percentage get A* or A but that is no consolation if your child is one of the ones with a B. No one is going to say "My son got a B but at least he went to an excellent school where they get a very high number of A and A*'s.You need to look less at the schools "performance" and consider whats best for your child. Of course thats the hard bit!
succeed

Post by succeed »

rabbie burns wrote:I am intrigued about this better university comment which I have seen come up a few times. I am not convinced that someone in say Edinburgh looks at two application forms for say medicine, both straight A*, and gives it to the Grammer school child from Birmingham. I doubt they would even recognise it as a grammar school, especially in parts of the country where they disappeared in the 1960's. There is an argument that the child from a non-selective school would be viewed more favourably. I think you should stick to the here and now.
Another point to consider is that the child may eventually end up seeking employment in the West Midlands. A friend of mine was told outright by his employer that the reason he got the job over other suitably qualified candidates was because he had been to Camp Hill Boys. Most employers in the area are very aware of the differences between the schools even if the universities are not.
rabbie burns wrote:Whilst this is true of the school overall the only attainment a parent really cares about is their own child. At CHB for example a very high percentage get A* or A but that is no consolation if your child is one of the ones with a B. No one is going to say "My son got a B but at least he went to an excellent school where they get a very high number of A and A*'s.You need to look less at the schools "performance" and consider whats best for your child. Of course thats the hard bit!
Yes, this is the hard bit, but you can only base your decision on the knowledge at your disposal at the time.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

I did not say more go from Holyhead. I said applying from what some people consider a good grammar school makes no difference to the university receiving the application (or should not)

Grammar Schools do better because they select their pupils. Its that simple.

The Camp Hill story is a disgrace and clearly the old school tie which has dogged this country for years has moved along. Sorry for the other candidates, especially if another one went to Aston and then became the victim of snobbery and elitism.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I agree with you, rabbie. In fact, In all honesty, I think that if Universities do start to make decisions between 2 identical children with identical scores, they are more likely to go for the comp child, under the social mobility factors that the govt are recommending - not least because the "comp" child could be argued to have done well despite the environment...!

But a lot could change in 7 years, obviously!

OP go for the school that is the best fit for your child, regardless of whether it is a grammar or not. The key thing is that they are both schools - they both do the same curriculum and your child will do better in the place they are happiest and feel the most comfortable.
succeed

Post by succeed »

It wasn't elitism particularly because he went to CHB, simply because he had been to a grammar. It's a fact of life that people, including employers, are influenced by attendance to more elitist establishments, and i don't see that changing any day soon.For instance, I note on another thread how everyone was very impressed that the new head teacher at a particular school was Oxford educated.
I would say that employers in the Midlands will generally be more impressed with an application from a grammar school candidate - whether or not they admit it of course, is another thing entirely.

Of course children should go to the school where their parents feel they would thrive and be happiest. However, from an outsider point of view - HGS looks a better option in this case and I'm sure honest opinions is what the OP is after. It's easy to say 'just go with your heart, 'wherever your child will be happiest'' etc, but if you actually knew that, I don't think you would be on here asking for advise.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

We are having a similar dilemma with hgs, which is about 45 away by public transport, and the new university school which is a 10 minute bus ride plus a short walk. We have struggled because at present the university school is only virtual! I think we have decided to go for hgs on the grounds that we could move him to the university school or another comp if he wasn't happy but a move from comp to grammar is nearly impossible. Good luck with your decision.
Last edited by muminbrum on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

The new University school does look impressive, and I understand the headmaster is from Camp Hill boys.
B7NTU

Post by B7NTU »

Thanks everyone for all your input, Have made our decision gone with HGS and Holyhead as backup.
walsallmum

Post by walsallmum »

Very amusing!

I am a teacher at holyhead !

So will not comment but only to say if I was in the catchment my dd would go to Holyhead without a doubt
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now