Current year 7s - how are they getting on?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rabbie burns

Re: Current year 7s - how are they getting on?

Post by rabbie burns »

I think Hopefuldad7 makes a valid point about the culture in some grammar schools. Some are worse than others and we all have our suspicions who they are. I am not sure it just gets better, though it may for some children. I have heard horror stories from girls in much higher years, right up to year11. Picking those for sixth form is another story again. The point I was making is that they are not all the same so try and fit your child with the right school rather than picking those who are perceived as higher status etc. We all know from this forum about the status issue some parents have.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

KEFW have an initiative next term to improve engagement with parents so it is a problem they obviously feel needs addressing. Not quite sure how they will get improved engagement however as it is very difficult to engage with a s hool when you have very little contact apart from the twice termly grades and weekly newsletter.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Happy dad wrote:KEFW have an initiative next term to improve engagement with parents so it is a problem they obviously feel needs addressing. Not quite sure how they will get improved engagement however as it is very difficult to engage with a school when you have very little contact apart from the twice termly grades and weekly newsletter.
At KEFW you can use the child's individual school diary to make observation or request further information/advice from the teacher - you can even follow-up with a quick phone call if the issue can't be resolved. If the child is struggling in a particular subject then there are usually lunchtime top-up sessions available. Seemed to work very well when my DS was at KEFW.

What parents seem to be experiencing is not uncommon during the 1st term of year-7, some children were maybe coasting during year-6 at junior school (particularly after the exams results) and the schools often have to take proactive measures to get them to be focused. You will probably find Parents Evening next term provides some illumination.

Having said that, it's possible that the increase in class sizes has made this more difficult - up until last year the class sizes at KEFW used to be a max of 25 - the Head at the time used to make a big play on how the school thought this differentiated them from many of the other KE schools (it was even less than the Ind KEHS). Obviously times have changed and it must be more difficult for teachers to keep in touch with parents where the class size in now 30.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Maybe its a good thing in retrospect that our primary school was so poor at communicating, giving meaningful feedback on progress etc because it has not seemed like such a big change. Two gradings (performance and effort) a term means we are well aware of his progress/performance/effort and he has brought back verbal feedback from his form tutor. Also able to email him if necessary. All in all I think thats not bad.
Salander

Post by Salander »

My dd started KE Handsworth this academic year, and although the homework appeared quite intense the first term she has settled into a routine and absolutely adores the school and has a lovely network of new friends whom I hear her regularly chatting and giggling to on the phone in the evening.
We definitely made the right choice, even though we were closer to another grammar, the staff so far have been very warm and nurturing to the girls in my dd class and she feels fully supported.
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

My son is at KES has adapted so well. He's become so much more independent. He knew no one before he started there and has now made some lovely friends and settled in well. He's been introduced to new sports and has tried some of the after school activities.

Totally agree with Wolves Mum - he is in the routine of packing his bag the night before and doing his homework the same evening he receives it. It usually takes him around an hour.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now