Wolverhampton High School for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
quasimodo

Wolverhampton High School for Girls

Post by quasimodo »

WGHS have announced on their website they are increasing places for year 7's to 145 and year 12's to 135 for September 2016.Whilst this should have been anticipated I was hoping from my youngest dd's point of view it wouldn't happen as she should from there from September 2015 as our number one choice. We had as one of our reasons chosen the school as it was not having the increased numbers as the Birmingham KE Grammars or SCGSG. It seems the extra funding from the change to Academy status was not sufficient to prevent the pressures from the changes to the schools funding having an impact.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Re: Wolverhampton High School for Girls

Post by Guest55 »

So one wonders why the chose to become as Academy?

School funding is actually better than ever.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... chool.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think this article may give an insight into the potential funding problems. I know from the WGHS's website the school doesn't have much an income from pupil premium children.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A lot of this article is 'spin' ...

Most GS in Bucks have intakes of 150 + and this is fine.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... MAO4mnrOaQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The above is a link to a policy briefing given to Members of Parliament. The funding changes to sixth form education has clearly impacted some schools.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - but they were getting more money than colleges, how was that fair?

I am a teacher and do know what our funding is like.

Increasing numbers is a simple way to get more funding or perhaps they could increase PP places?

There are lots of hidden costs to becoming an Academy which will impact just as much. For example, GS now have to pay for the 11+ testing which LAs paid for ...
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=40655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a useful forum link and contributes to the same issues in the debate albeit from Buckinghamshire.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now