CEM Cloze for Adams and Queen Mary Consortium

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hopeful helpful mum

CEM Cloze for Adams and Queen Mary Consortium

Post by Hopeful helpful mum »

What are the best resources for the CEM style Cloze tests? I have bought the First Past the Post books 1 & 2, but there is little else on the market that I can find. This is a weak area for my son, whose strengths are Maths and NVR. He will need more practise than what is contained in these books, I'm afraid. I was thinking of generating some cloze tests myself online, but do not know the efficacy of this. Any help is appreciated.
MamaBear

Re: CEM Cloze for Adams and Queen Mary Consortium

Post by MamaBear »

Most people I know made up the cloze tests themselves. If you search on this forum for diy cloze it should help.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Years ago the First Past the Post books weren't available and I used Contemporary Cloze, by George Moore I think.

Also, if you do a Google search for "Cloze generator" then it brings up websites where you can paste text and it makes Cloze tests for you. I used that kind of thing for DS2 using news websites and themes related to the things he was interested in. You can always "tweak" them if they don't produce exactly what you want.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There is more coming on the market all the time. The CGP books are good and Bond has a set of papers that are hard but worth doing. DG
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

It's true, there's so much more on the market nowadays. Have you tried CGP, scholastic ? Lots of free online material too.

It is good fun generating your own and you can personalise them to suit yr child's needs. But it does take up more of your time. I didn't really like FPTP ones when they first came out but still used them for dc quintus .

Eta
clash post with Dg :)
clearsky

Post by clearsky »

We found fptp cloze books difficult and some very strict on timing, however the cgp cem verbal reasoning books had mix of cloze and other type of VR, we found them great practice and did them more than once. The cgp cem mock tests papers also contained many section of cloze that was great practice near to the exam. However I agree there are a lot more in the market now, have a look at Amazon and look inside some of the books online to see which one you like.My ds was also good at maths and NVR, he struggled with some type of cloze, however we tried to always give him work that had mix of his strength and some that concentrated on his weakness. Focussing too much on weak area can some time make a child become demotivated and lose interest.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

:?:
clearsky wrote:We found fptp cloze books difficult and some very strict on timing, however the cgp cem verbal reasoning books had mix of cloze and other type of VR, we found them great practice and did them more than once. The cgp cem mock tests papers also contained many section of cloze that was great practice near to the exam. However I agree there are a lot more in the market now, have a look at Amazon and look inside some of the books online to see which one you like.My ds was also good at maths and NVR, he struggled with some type of cloze, however we tried to always give him work that had mix of his strength and some that concentrated on his weakness. Focussing too much on weak area can some time make a child become demotivated and lose interest.
Agree with this. At the start of the 11+ process, DS2 wasn't particularly good at anything (bottom sets in school too). Having had speech and language problems when he was younger, his English was particularly poor and I made the decision to miss out certain types of English altogether (e.g comprehension) as he just wasn't getting anywhere and the time "wasted" was definitely better used elsewhere.
Hopeful helpful mum

Post by Hopeful helpful mum »

Some very helpful feedback from everyone here, thank you! FPTP Cloze books are indeed quite hard and the timing very demanding. I have got hold of George Moore's Contemporary Cloze, but feel it's not worth the cost. If anyone is looking to purchase it, maybe best to try to get it second hand. I will explore the CGP titles as haven't tried any of them yet. Will try my best to keep in mind the pointers given!