thomas telford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Wolves mum

thomas telford

Post by Wolves mum »

Does anyone know anybody that has been offered a place at Thomas Telford and if so any tips on what they are looking for? We are hoping for Thomas Telford as first choice as my DS2 is quite sporty and I think he wont enjoy Adams' as much as TT.

I just wish there was something I could do to increase his chances of a place. :(
anxiously hopeful

Re: thomas telford

Post by anxiously hopeful »

TT pick children who are good at sports or music and could represent the school well. I know a couple of boys who were good at football and were offered places there which they accepted and a girl who is a talented musician who also was offered a place which she passed on. I don't know how they check the talent though. The test results are not as important as they select kids from different levels. Your child should have a good attendance record and a school report from the previous year and you need to write in a statement in the application form that you will support your child's studies. I don't have high expectations of my son being accepted but applied just because he could. Kids that did go there seemed to be happy. Good luck!
panickedmum

Post by panickedmum »

Both my boys are at Thomas Telford and, even now, I can safely say I have no idea exactly what they're looking for and I think you have to apply for a place slightly with that mindset!

Both of them are very sporty - I know football is a big priority at the school and a lot of very good footballers get a place. However, having said that, DS1 got in on the first round of places but then when the offers first came through on 1st March last year, DS2 didn't get in. Give or take a few differences in terms of sports played and awards won, their application forms were virtually identical! They played football at exactly the same level and it was certainly very hard dealing with DS2's reaction of 'What's he got that I haven't...?'

In the end we put his name on the waiting list and he was offered a place a couple of weeks later. How that happened, again, I don't know. The only theory I have is that they take more children from the middle bands than the top bands and DS2 would probably have been towards the top, having been tutored for the eleven + (but not getting a good enough score on the day!) so had less of a chance of a place. However, there are likely to be more children from the top bands turning down TT in favour of a grammar or an indie scholarship perhaps than in the lower bands. This is all pure speculation of course!

I have to say, though, they're both very happy there and DS1, who's about to choose his A Level options won't even consider looking at another school for 6th Form. I think you just have to go in with an open mind, put down everything you can think of on the form and hope for the best!
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

Thanks for the replies. I was told they have a strong hockey team too (boys) does anyone know if being good at hockey would help to get in.

Fingers crossed
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now