Can I change my first choice?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

blaart

Can I change my first choice?

Post by blaart »

Hi, long-time lurker, first time poster.

My DS did well in the recent KE Consortium exams and so we put CHB as 1st choice, followed by BVGS as his second choice. We think he is likely to get his first choice, but family circumstances now dictate that we may have to move to Sutton Coldfield.

We currently live in Hall Green, so CHB made sense at the time. Obviously if he now gets in to CHB, the long trip from Sutton Coldfield for 6 years+ will pose some problems, and BVGS would be the natural choice now.

My question is whether it is possible to refuse his first choice (CHB, assuming he gets in), and whether that would then entitle him to qualify for his second choice of BVGS. I'm assuming this isn't how the process works, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks in advance.
HodgeHillDad

Re: Can I change my first choice?

Post by HodgeHillDad »

Have sent you a PM about this as we have had similar experience!
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Many boys travel from Sutton to study at KECHB, why the issue? Have you looked at the journey?
blaart

Post by blaart »

We lived in Sutton before and the journey to his school in solihull left him really exhausted. I wouldn't want to repeat that unless we've no other choice.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Phone up Birmingham Admissions and ask direct. Your family situation has changed so they may agree, especially as your DS's score will definitely be sufficient for BV (if it's enough for CHB). I agree that Hall Green to CHB is a completely different journey than Sutton Coldfield to CHB and it isnt for every child (I know it certainly wouldn't suit mine). Best of luck.
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Hi there,

I went through this situation last year. Long story but we live in South Birmingham and had listed BV as one of our choices. We did many practice train journeys but it wasn't until the December, when I was going to the German market by train, and was approaching the station and a man came out of nowhere (just as I was approaching a dark tunnel) and asked me for a light - he scared the living daylights out of me. When I realised how vulernable I felt (even as an adult) It dawned on me that for my DS to have to do the 20 minute walk to the train station, and then the train journey to Sutton, which had the potential to be a bit of a nightmare with packed trains and delays that I'd made a big mistake putting BV on the form as one of his choices. After many conversations with my DS about it we both came to the conclusion that BV would just be too far for him to travel to everyday.

I wrote to the address that delt with allocating places and explained to them how concerned we both were and that we'd like to remove BV as one of his choices. I made it clear I wasn't asking to add a school in its place I just wanted to completely remove the BV choice.

They wrote back to me to say only under acceptional circumstances would they change my DS' choices form but due to the fact that we both were so anxious about the journey, they would remove BV. (phew!)

We were both very relieved. I know some children travel further, but it just wasn't right for my DS.

One thing I will say though, if you do write to request them removing the choice, when you're allocated your place, you're likely to receive your offer through the post. I did mine online and expected to find out online and sat up half the night with all the lovely parents on here waiting to find out, but because I had written, I received my offer by post.

I think because of your circumstances they would remove CHB from your list of choices. Not too sure of the address now as I went through all that a year ago but shouldn't be too hard to get hold of it. I'd write to them and explain about the potential move and the distance to travel.

I hope this helps. X
blaart

Post by blaart »

Thank you all for your kind replies.

I will let you know how we get on! x
um

Post by um »

Although I am very happy with CHB - my two sons attend - I really do agree that the journey from Sutton Coldfield will not be an easy one, especially in winter.
It's a pretty exhausting commute when they're so young, and have homework to do, and may want to stay after school for sports and activities.
Yes, plenty of boys seem to manage that commute - and travel from even further afield, but I would be thinking the same as you - that BV would be a far better option for your son and would allow him more time for rest and family life, and taking part in after school activities.

I suggest you contact Admissions as soon as possible to see if you can swap over at this late stage, given your planned change of address.
The 'worst case' scenario is joining the BV waiting list straight away after 2 March - hopefully you'll be at the top of it, and by the end of March, will have a place, allowing you to decline the expected CHB place and free that up for someone else.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

blaart wrote:Thank you all for your kind replies.

I will let you know how we get on! x

Hi there! Any updates?