Allocations 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
muminbrum

Re: Allocations 2015

Post by muminbrum »

And in many families, both parents work so driving children long distances to school and back every day isn't possible.
Staffsdad

Post by Staffsdad »

True, but once again it's hard to generalise. We both work but share the driving on alternate days.
Anteater03

Post by Anteater03 »

My D husband works away and my DS is at WGS which I think is an amazing school. My DD likes WGS too and it's familiar. As we have have had to move around it's affected my DD more than we had realised. Once we get comfortable that DD is happy then with her decision then we can move on. Our DD will only thrive if she feels settled as she is lacks confidence sometimes socially but never worries about her studies. I truly feel it's a very hard decision. I am so grateful for all the advice from parents on hear staffs dad, Buckbeak, Quasimodo and any other others I may have missed. Thank you so much.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Staffsdad wrote:True, but once again it's hard to generalise. We both work but share the driving on alternate days.
I have to agree both me and my wife have throughout our lives worked. Recently she has not been able to practice her profession but been a full time carer for her elderly mum and that is more than a full time job. I am now more or less back at work full time after serious surgery and a number of stays in hospital and allowed to drive. Every situation is different and parents adapt their lives and routines to do what they think is right for their families including their children.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Went to the WGHS open evening tonight with my dd and my wife.If I'm honest came away disappointed don't know what I expected.Apart from registering my dd with her birth certificate didn't get anything new. We had welcome speech's from the headmistress,pastoral leader for year 7s and two year 8 girls.You could register for school bus services which we'd previously done, speak to individuals from the parents guild or register for music lessons.Regarding music lessons have been there previously neither dds interested in piano (had lessons in early years) or any other musical instruments.Apart from the choir for my youngest dd we have no other musical interest or talent.A case of high expectations and being spoilt at KEHS with smaller numbers and therefore more individual attention.Only difference being had a unhappy eldest dd for 5 years which was not compensated by her exam results.I think I can live with my disappointment as I can see 7 years of happiness for my youngest dd and not having to change her schooling after 5 years. Don't have to pay for her schooling and can use those monies for the benefit of all of us hopefully on holidays.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

In relation to travel new parents thinking of WGHS should note at the new parents evening there was a new school bus service who were advertising 4 bus routes from outlying areas.The company were Abbey coaches(Midlands) Limited who have clearly entered into a contract with the school.More specific information on bus routes is available from the company but times and routes am sure are being developed as numbers grow using the bus services and as confirmed upon speaking to them.I have asked for information on routes and if I get it I will post the information.

From information on the schools website in 2014 64% of entries at A Level were awarded A/A*the schools highest ever number; with 82% of entries awarded A*- B. Nearly half of the cohort achieved 3 A grades or higher. 78% of GCSE entries were awarded A/A*.The results on individual subjects are directly available on the schools website.This is not the case for all schools in the consortium.

Fewer students than the national average are eligible for the Pupil Premium (68). They currently have no
students eligible for Catch Up funding and one Looked After Child.

Proportions of students supported through School Action, School Action Plus are well below national
average (12%).

The proportion of students from ethnic minority groups is 49% with Indian students making up 30% and 7%
who speak English as an Additional Language.The figure of ethnic minority students has increased in the past few years with the figure being about a third from an Ofsted report I read on the school.

Abraham Lincoln
SolihullCHBMum

Post by SolihullCHBMum »

CHB offered with a score of 238 (#41 on waiting list at the start!) Happy boy and even happier parents as we don't need to worry about the 20 miles to Stratford grammar now :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

that's great news SolihullKesMum !!

Almost need a change of username :wink:
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

SolihullKESMum wrote:CHB offered with a score of 238 (#41 on waiting list at the start!) Happy boy and even happier parents as we don't need to worry about the 20 miles to Stratford grammar now :D
Looks like 237 a real possibility - maybe even 236 (although unlikely) as someone on w/l 49 scored 236. 48 offers off w/l were made at chb at July stage last year so could be more room for manoeuvre. DC1 you may want to update the w/l status (first) page :)
SolihullCHBMum

Post by SolihullCHBMum »

hermanmunster wrote:that's great news SolihullKesMum !!

Almost need a change of username :wink:
Thanks Hermanmunster...have tried several times but failed to change my user name (DS could probably do it for me as his IT skills overtook mine many moons ago :lol: )
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now