anyone from aldridge got into camp hill girls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

walsallmum

Re: anyone from aldridge got into camp hill girls?

Post by walsallmum »

she JUST fell in love with the school. She is a very able and strong minded girl. paprents are concerned a bit about the travel but its deffo doable
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

walsallmum wrote:she JUST fell in love with the school. She is a very able and strong minded girl. paprents are concerned a bit about the travel but its deffo doable
My concern would be that this is based on one, maybe two, short visits on open evenings and in reality the school wont be very different to those closer to home. I would suggest toting up the travel time over 5 years and thinking about what else she could do in that time.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Honestly no school is worth that journey. She will find time is short enough with homework, after school activities, out of school activities, eating and sleeping without adding additional travel time.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

muminbrum wrote:
walsallmum wrote:she JUST fell in love with the school. She is a very able and strong minded girl. paprents are concerned a bit about the travel but its deffo doable
My concern would be that this is based on one, maybe two, short visits on open evenings and in reality the school wont be very different to those closer to home. I would suggest toting up the travel time over 5 years and thinking about what else she could do in that time.
rabbie burns wrote:Honestly no school is worth that journey. She will find time is short enough with homework, after school activities, out of school activities, eating and sleeping without adding additional travel time.
This is my third time through the process. Although I personally feel that the KE Grammar Schools are ALL as good as each other, and that families should choose whichever is closest to them, I think the comments are a little unfair.

Here we have a young 10/11 year old girl who has no doubt worked hard and achieved the school SHE wants, which she has been allocated. It's exciting and I feel it's not the time to "rain on her parade" so to speak. The time for advice on choice of school is over. It's been allocated. Let's be positive about her choice and keep personal misgivings to one side. Someone recently posted that someone travels to CHG from Derby...if the people involved think Aldridge is doable, then so be it.
Adora

Post by Adora »

Good advice Moseleymum. Walsallmum, you must be so pleased.
Congratulations to her! I hope she's vey happy there.
Adora

Post by Adora »

Your cousin has done really well to get into CHG. The cut off was really high this year and if it's the school that she loves, then she'll cope with the journey and be thankful for the place.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Good luck Walsallmum to your cousin's daughter at her new school, she has worked hard for the opportunity. I know your cousin's daughter is going by car.
For those going by public transport this advice from a BBC archive is useful.

Travel tips for secondary pupils
Practise your child's journey with them before they start secondary school.
Choose busy times, not in the middle of the day.
Make sure your child is aware of potential danger points - looking carefully before crossing busy roads, taking extra care at bus stops and getting on and off trains.
Make sure your child keeps their possessions safe, eg mobile phones, keys and money.
Talk with your child about what they would do if something unexpected happened, eg if there was a security alert on their train and passengers were asked to leave the train.
Talk with your child about what they should do if they felt threatened, eg if they felt an adult was following them or behaving oddly on public transport.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

quasimodo wrote: For those going by public transport this advice from a BBC archive is useful.

Travel tips for secondary pupils
Practise your child's journey with them before they start secondary school.
Choose busy times, not in the middle of the day.
Make sure your child is aware of potential danger points - looking carefully before crossing busy roads, taking extra care at bus stops and getting on and off trains.
Make sure your child keeps their possessions safe, eg mobile phones, keys and money.
Talk with your child about what they would do if something unexpected happened, eg if there was a security alert on their train and passengers were asked to leave the train.
Talk with your child about what they should do if they felt threatened, eg if they felt an adult was following them or behaving oddly on public transport.
Excellent stuff quasimodo.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

This is really good quasimodo. Mods, do you think it would be a good idea for this information (link?) to be a sticky somewhere non-region-specific?