Changing preferences

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moseleymum

Changing preferences

Post by moseleymum »

I know this has been asked but I cant find it by searching.

A good friend of mine (in Dudley, not Birmingham) wishes to alter her preference order.

Her son scored 234.

Her top 3 preference order was :
1 CHB - rejected
2 Handsworth Grammar - offered
3 KEA

She mistakenly thought Handsworth Grammar would be easier to get to and put it 2nd which her son has now been offered. Her son is very upset, knows several boys going to Aston and wishes to change his preference order. She already has a child in CHG.

She went into the Foundation Office and was categorically told she couldn't change the order and that her son couldn't go on the waiting list for Aston (he would be near the top of the list on 234).

She phoned up Dudley Admissions who told her to contact the Foundation Office (she did this first anyway) so now doesn't know whether to continue to pursue this or just send her son to Handsworth Grammar.

Any thoughts?
rabbie burns

Re: Changing preferences

Post by rabbie burns »

Can see no way they could allow this as it would be chaos if people changed preference after offer day. On 234 I cannot understand why she did not put aston 2nd because it was a guaranteed place. Best bet is to hope the cHB score tumbles off the waiting list and he gets in there. In fact what she is asking for is a change to aston and then if this happened a change to cHB, meaning she will have been through three offers!! She would also be depriving someone a place on the aston waiting list. I think she is asking a lot.

A cynic might say go to school in Dudley and save all this trouble. Sorry but you did ask.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

I know, thanks for the honest answer. I was a bit shocked when she told me. I don't know why anyone would put Handsworth above Aston. It "wastes" a choice as the QS for Aston is always higher than Handsworth anyway.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Sounds like the Foundation have spoken. Could be worse as at least he has a GS place.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

I changed preference after offer day and went on the waiting list for the lower preference school and was offered it. It can be done.

Must be something in the water - I am under Dudley LEA :lol:
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

muminbrum wrote:Sounds like the Foundation have spoken. Could be worse as at least he has a GS place.
Yes he had a good score, could have had his pick of many good schools. I think she was taken by surprise that CHB score rose massively compared to last year.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Happy dad wrote:I changed preference after offer day and went on the waiting list for the lower preference school and was offered it. It can be done.

Must be something in the water - I am under Dudley LEA :lol:
I knew there was someone! What was the process you went through? I have absolutely no idea as I've been so fortunate to never have to go through the stress of waiting lists.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Pm for you.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Well I am somewhat shocked and surprised!! Seems like having your cake and eating it too. Put any old order on your preferences, change it after the event when scores are known and, one assumes, go to the top of the waiting list of a lower preference school with a score 8 points above that schools cut off point. Why not ask to add five ways to the mix and have the best of all worlds. Feels like an episode of the twighlight zone.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now