Lack of plan B

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bewilderedofbearwood

Re: Lack of plan B

Post by bewilderedofbearwood »

um wrote:Catchment areas can also change!

I know that more than a few people paid quite a premium to be in the Tudor Grange catchment area in Solihull.

Tudor Grange recently changed its admissions criteria to prioritise pupils who attend St Alphege CE and St James CE Junior schools.
Admission to these schools is based primarily on faith as they are faith schools ...so yes, quite a few families will be 'caught out' by this and no longer have the priority to Tudor Grange that they had envisaged when they purchased their house.
Gosh that's quite a nightmare. I get the impression that lots of admissions policies will change in the next few years. There are two "fair banding" schools in Sandwell and I notice they are on the increase in other parts of the country. That makes it much harder to predict where to live in order to secure a place.
bewilderedofbearwood

Post by bewilderedofbearwood »

clearsky wrote:We moved house while my son was taking his 11 plus test and also just had a baby few month before his exam and it was very stressful for me and the whole family. My son was very able but become very demotivated near the test as he become bored and the stress of moving house, new born baby everything become too much for him and I felt very bad for him and would never move house again during 11 plus journey with another child. If you really want to move then now is the best time, my son didn't want to leave his friends in year 5 but my year one and nursery daughters were happy and settled well in their new school, travelling to two school was also very difficult each day. Or if you are happy where you live then do the 11 plus and also enter him for some indie schools.

All the best.
Oh Clearsky that sounds beyond stressful and difficult. I agree leaving things too late could make things very disruptive for him.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

I'm afraid the info re Tudor Grange is incorrect. Only St James has priority, not St Alphege.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Just a question, should posters whose pen name is in green post correct information on this site?
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

HappyRobot wrote:I'm afraid the info re Tudor Grange is incorrect. Only St James has priority, not St Alphege.

That's true. Tudor Grange did propose that St Alphege had priority, which was probably when um looked into this, but the proposal caused a protest amongst parents who felt it would have turned Tudor Grange into a faith school, so St Alphege was dropped and only St James now has priority.

http://thesilhillian.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... range.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

sbarnes wrote:Just a question, should posters whose pen name is in green post correct information on this site?

Surely EVERYONE should TRY to post correct information, sbarnes, green name or not? I don't suppose um deliberately posted wrong information and it was quickly rectified by Happy Robot.

However, by the same token, I think we are all guilty of sometimes making errors - that is human nature is it not? A bit of tolerance is a nice characteristic to have.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:A bit of tolerance is a nice characteristic to have.
And the "ignore" button is a nice feature to have :lol: :lol: :lol:
um

Post by um »

Thanks for pointing out my error.
Yes, the St Alphege priority was given a few years ago and that was when I studied the admissions document in detail.
As I don't really have links to Solihull, I was not aware the protests meant that this part of the criteria had been rescinded. That's what forums are for....they're a chance to get information and views from everyone around the table.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now