King Edwards Aston travelling query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stse88

King Edwards Aston travelling query

Post by stse88 »

Attended King Edwards Aston open day and really enjoyed it and the vibe seems great. The only reason putting me off is the safety of my child for commuting. Saw that there were 2 articles from Birmingham mail about safety for schoolboys which is making me worry. I know there is a green bus service which would put my safety worry as side, but feel its limiting my sons experience not being able to stay for extra activities after school. I like to hear feedback from parents who have their boys going to Aston and if there are any concerns commuting if using public transport and taking a long walk to get to Aston?
SouthBrumMum

Re: King Edwards Aston travelling query

Post by SouthBrumMum »

Hi. My DS is Yr7 at Aston, so we only have a half term's worth of experience and no dark nights to draw on, but he hasn't expressed any concerns over travel. He gets the green bus and absolutely loves it - probably adds to his social experience as much as an after school club would! However, there are loads of clubs but I think most of the clubs are at lunchtime, and boys can get an early dinner pass or eat at recess so they can squeeze as much as possible into their lunch breaks! That said, DS does actually do 1 activity after school 1 day a week, which finished at 5.15pm so I juggle my work round to pick him up from school (I work close by). The club isn't just for Yr7 boys, so there are always older ones around that I see heading off, so there may well be other boys heading off to bus stops at the end of clubs. Sorry for the long reply - hope it helps!
stse88

Post by stse88 »

SouthBrumMum wrote:Hi. My DS is Yr7 at Aston, so we only have a half term's worth of experience and no dark nights to draw on, but he hasn't expressed any concerns over travel. He gets the green bus and absolutely loves it - probably adds to his social experience as much as an after school club would! However, there are loads of clubs but I think most of the clubs are at lunchtime, and boys can get an early dinner pass or eat at recess so they can squeeze as much as possible into their lunch breaks! That said, DS does actually do 1 activity after school 1 day a week, which finished at 5.15pm so I juggle my work round to pick him up from school (I work close by). The club isn't just for Yr7 boys, so there are always older ones around that I see heading off, so there may well be other boys heading off to bus stops at the end of clubs. Sorry for the long reply - hope it helps!
Thanks for your response, very useful info and great detail which is appreciated.

Sounds like your son is enjoying Aston and will become a great 'Aston man'.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

I believe there are a number of boys who do walk towards the station for either a train or bus. Think it is about a 10 - 15 minute walk, but personally I would advise walking in a group rather than on their own, especially in Y7.

Where do you live?
boys02

Post by boys02 »

Son also in year 7 and absolutely loves Aston and is a proud Aston Man! :D
Also on the green bus and it is definitely a positve experience for him.
You will find that most clubs are done at lunch time, you should look at the web page and have a look at what is on offer.
I also pick him up one evening a week and agree with Southbrum mum post, re older boys.
I feel you have to be careful anywhere these days.
I have another son at CHB and he is still on the green bus in year10, (from Solihull) it is about convenience and not just safety.
Good luck.x
stse88

Post by stse88 »

helen0209 wrote:I believe there are a number of boys who do walk towards the station for either a train or bus. Think it is about a 10 - 15 minute walk, but personally I would advise walking in a group rather than on their own, especially in Y7.

Where do you live?
I live in Stechford, there is a green bus stop very close to us. Good advice, walking in groups especially since it's going to be his first year.
stse88

Post by stse88 »

boys02 wrote:Son also in year 7 and absolutely loves Aston and is a proud Aston Man! :D
Also on the green bus and it is definitely a positve experience for him.
You will find that most clubs are done at lunch time, you should look at the web page and have a look at what is on offer.
I also pick him up one evening a week and agree with Southbrum mum post, re older boys.
I feel you have to be careful anywhere these days.
I have another son at CHB and he is still on the green bus in year10, (from Solihull) it is about convenience and not just safety.
Good luck.x
Glad your son is a proud Aston man :) and from the replies the green bus is the way and he can have the extra activities during lunch.

On a different now what we your thoughts between CHB and Aston since you have a son going to each? As this is going too be my dilemma.
boys02

Post by boys02 »

When we started the 11+ journey, (many years ago) we obviously wanted our local grammar, hence Chb.
We had always wanted our boys to go together and when this wasn't the case, we went for the next closest Aston.

We always wanted a KE school and a boys school.
We had always loved our visits to Aston and it was our second choice for our first son.
I can now say that the fact, that they are at different schools, albeit still within the same Foundation, has been great for us as a family.

Both schools are amazing and both have stronger points and weaker points, than the other.
Both schools are very caring and both our boys have ended up where they were meant to.
I feel that your journey to Aston would be easier, however the journey to CH, would not be bad either.
I think that you know deep down, which schools you feel a stronger pull towards.
However I also feel that we are so spoilt in the Midlands and have amazing grammar schools.
I know children attending each of the grammar schools(in the Midlands) and they are all happy and thriving.

Good luck.x
Sandkb

Post by Sandkb »

boys02 wrote:When we started the 11+ journey, (many years ago) we obviously wanted our local grammar, hence Chb.
We had always wanted our boys to go together and when this wasn't the case, we went for the next closest Aston.

We had always loved our visits to Aston and it was our second choice for our first son.
I can now say that the fact, that they are at different schools, albeit still within the same Foundation, has been great for us as a family.

Both schools are amazing and both have stronger points and weaker points, than the other.
Both schools are very caring and both our boys have ended up where they were meant to.
I feel that your journey to Aston would be easier, however the journey to CH, would not be bad either.
I think that you know deep down, which schools you feel a stronger pull towards.
However I also feel that we are so spoilt in the Midlands and have amazing grammar schools.
I know children attending each of the grammar schools(in the Midlands) and they are all happy and thriving.

Good luck.x
Thank you this is really helpful to hear thoughts on Aston. Due to unfortunate circumstances we did not get to go to the open day. This was the only school we missed.

We live in Shirley and our options are BV and Aston only...my DS got 217. His heart is on FW but I just don't think he would even stand a chance.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Sandkb wrote:
boys02 wrote:When we started the 11+ journey, (many years ago) we obviously wanted our local grammar, hence Chb.

Good luck.x
Thank you this is really helpful to hear thoughts on Aston. Due to unfortunate circumstances we did not get to go to the open day. This was the only school we missed.

We live in Shirley and our options are BV and Aston only...my DS got 217. His heart is on FW but I just don't think he would even stand a chance.
Hi Sandkb

Unfortunately I think you are right with not realistically being in with a chance of FW. 217 for BV is likely to be from a W/L and potentially not until around July based on previous years. KEA moved quite a lot on the W/L last year, and went to 213 which is lower than it has been for a number of years - was 217 the previous year.
Have you considered HGS at all? The 845 Green Bus picks up from Shirley.

Obviously put the schools in your true order of preference, and if FW is your favourite then put it as No. 1. However, ensure you have a local comp back up on there as I don’t think you’d get BV or KEA on offers day.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now