Next steps after mock- crossroad point

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mombrum

Re: Next steps after mock- crossroad point

Post by mombrum »

My son almost gave up after having a very similar mock result in the previous June but it had absolutely no correlation to his 11 plus result. If he does well in school and he is happy just carry on, it paid off for us.
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

I did mock with dd myself (cgp pack 3 test A). And she only got 55% after I worked out the result. She struggled the most with shuffled sentences section. When we went over the few other gaps she almost instantly knew how to work out the answer. I don't know if she is able enough, but we will still give the test a go. I refuse to push her too much as it will do her no good in the long term. I feel she has had reasonable amout of preperation and she worked the best she could so what is meant to be will be. Good luck to all.
"To show me is far better than to lecture everyday.
To lead me is far greater than to just point out the way.
So if you tell me everything then I shall understand,
But rapid streams of words cannot compete with deed of hand[...]"
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

I've found doing tests, tests and more tests can be counter-productive at this late stage. Sometimes it's better just to back off a little for a few days and begin again but not on testing but maybe assessing weaker points. This strategy takes nerves of steel from a dps point of view but can work wonders- it worked well for our dd 3 years ago and it's something we're doing with our ds.
Horses for courses I suppose.
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

Bob1892 wrote:I've found doing tests, tests and more tests can be counter-productive at this late stage. Sometimes it's better just to back off a little for a few days and begin again but not on testing but maybe assessing weaker points. This strategy takes nerves of steel from a dps point of view but can work wonders- it worked well for our dd 3 years ago and it's something we're doing with our ds.
She only did two tests, I wanted to see how she copes in the time given and also to practise marking the answers on a separate answer sheet. She is now back to revising :-)
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

What does everyone send in for snack with their kids? I am thinking od a Snickers bar :-D
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

tiredmama wrote:
Bob1892 wrote:I've found doing tests, tests and more tests can be counter-productive at this late stage. Sometimes it's better just to back off a little for a few days and begin again but not on testing but maybe assessing weaker points. This strategy takes nerves of steel from a dps point of view but can work wonders- it worked well for our dd 3 years ago and it's something we're doing with our ds.
She only did two tests, I wanted to see how she copes in the time given and also to practise marking the answers on a separate answer sheet. She is now back to revising :-)
Sorry misread your comment. Good luck with the revising.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I will probably send a bag of salt and vinegar French fries and a bottle of water.

Words of advice......... Advise DC to leave drink on the floor by desk. One year I believe a DC spilt water over their test and the paper was spoilt and the test was void!!!!!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I suspect that is one of those urban myths - they have used pencil for a good many years, for a reason! But, certainly, good invigilators will insist on a) only water and b) in a see through bottle, with no label, by the chair. However, they may request that all drinks/snacks are left at the front or back of the room for the break. There is another thread on here about snacks - personally, I would recommend something sugary like a Mars Bar for the break - it gives an instant hit to the brain to wake it up again.
um

Post by um »

My understanding is that drinks are not allowed on the table when completing the paper (unless presumably the child has a medical need to drink constantly?).
But drinks and snacks are left in a corner of the room in order to open at break.
My children had bottles with juice in their bag. Usually the type claiming they improve energy/concentration etc. :roll: I'm sure it had some sort of psychological effect, but not a physical one!
I'm not sure about the advisability of taking snacks containing nuts (such as Snickers) due to allergies being increasingly common.
My dc4 has allergies to perfumes and I am already paranoid about the invigilator wearing strong aftershave and he's got 2 years to go :lol: I will make an idiot of myself explaining this on his form but I guess I will have to. Ds2 has to put his aftershave on in the street :roll:

What is sad is when children come without a snack - and they may not have had a good breakfast. Ds2 and dd both mentioned children who had nothing with them - one had money, assuming there would be a vending machine. There isn't.

Oh - and if your child has hayfever or a cold please do send tissues. Not much fun for a child to be sniffling over their paper :?
Nard

Post by Nard »

um wrote:My understanding is that drinks are not allowed on the table when completing the paper (unless presumably the child has a medical need to drink constantly?).
But drinks and snacks are left in a corner of the room in order to open at break.
My children had bottles with juice in their bag. Usually the type claiming they improve energy/concentration etc. :roll: I'm sure it had some sort of psychological effect, but not a physical one!
I'm not sure about the advisability of taking snacks containing nuts (such as Snickers) due to allergies being increasingly common.
My dc4 has allergies to perfumes and I am already paranoid about the invigilator wearing strong aftershave and he's got 2 years to go :lol: I will make an idiot of myself explaining this on his form but I guess I will have to. Ds2 has to put his aftershave on in the street :roll:

What is sad is when children come without a snack - and they may not have had a good breakfast. Ds2 and dd both mentioned children who had nothing with them - one had money, assuming there would be a vending machine. There isn't.

Oh - and if your child has hayfever or a cold please do send tissues. Not much fun for a child to be sniffling over their paper :?
My son did the exam last year and all I sent in with him was a high energy drink. He had a light breakfast before he went in and the drink for his break. I don't think DC are going to get hungry in 3 hours. I was more worried that sending food in with him would give him a stomach ache which is why I stuck with the drink.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now