Very quiet in Brum.......4 weeks to go

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: Very quiet in Brum.......4 weeks to go

Post by Daogroupie »

Which six books is she reading? Reading the right book at this point will really help her with her vocabulary which will help her with A and S and Cloze. DG
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Now you're testing me, got to try and think now!

I know most of them will not particularly help her as they are probably not testing enough.

The brand new Jaqueline Wilson book - Katy

Jaqueline Wilson - Paws and Whiskers (a book of exerts she has chosen from other books)

Enid Blyton - one of the St Clare's series

Enid Blyton - one she got for library reading challenge but not sure of name

Diary of a Whimp Kid - not sure which one - again for reading challenge

The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

She has recently read: The Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe, Tom's Midnight Garden, The Borrowers, Danny Champion of the World & Charlotte's Web. Can't remember any others.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

All reading is good.... If only I could get my ds to read(I think he's read most football biographies) but not much else :roll:
Gladitsallover

Post by Gladitsallover »

My DS2 is also a very reluctant reader although he studies the weekly Match of the Day magazine intently!

DS1 sat the exam last year and is getting ready to start at KES in Stratford in a few weeks - although he sat both Bham and Warwickshire exams last year. DS2 desperately wants to join his big brother if possible and I could never had imagined the extra stress this would put on him over and above the preparation for the exam itself!

Our main area of concern content wise (and its a big one!) is the VR/Literacy skills side of things...increasing his vocabulary when he's not a natural (or very speedy) reader is proving painful and in some of the practice papers we've done (the CGP ones) he's really struggled, although he's done much much better in the Maths and NVR - and curiously enough those are the only areas he's keen to revise!!
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Vocab is an area that a lot of dc - and dps!- struggle with. The trouble is VR accounts for 50% of the total marks! Vocab to be fair takes years to develop- certainly to a decent extent- and unfortunately- as in my ds case- cannot be learnt in 4 weeks!!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Gladitsallover wrote:My DS2 is also a very reluctant reader although he studies the weekly Match of the Day magazine intently!

DS1 sat the exam last year and is getting ready to start at KES in Stratford in a few weeks - although he sat both Bham and Warwickshire exams last year. DS2 desperately wants to join his big brother if possible and I could never had imagined the extra stress this would put on him over and above the preparation for the exam itself!

Our main area of concern content wise (and its a big one!) is the VR/Literacy skills side of things...increasing his vocabulary when he's not a natural (or very speedy) reader is proving painful and in some of the practice papers we've done (the CGP ones) he's really struggled, although he's done much much better in the Maths and NVR - and curiously enough those are the only areas he's keen to revise!!
Our boys are voracious readers so VR easier than the maths side for them, but their coach used to come armed with sheets of words for which they had to give either alternatives or meanings, it was quite good fun and really quick at expanding vocab. With such a short time to go might be quicker than trying to read himself a bigger vocab?

Good luck! KES parent here too (2014 entry)
Gladitsallover

Post by Gladitsallover »

That's a great idea and agree that reading really isn't the answer this late in the day...I'll try some definitions/synonyms/antonyms type word quizzes with him...bless him, he's super keen so at least motivation isn't a problem! And I try to keep reminding myself that DS1 had some very wobbly practice paper scores and then did great in the exams themselves...fingers crossed he's just emulating his brother!
KenR

Post by KenR »

It's been several years since we were in this situation, but I found the following approach useful in the run-in to ensure they understood the precise meaning of some of the more difficult words:-
It's also worthwhile brushing up on the vocabulary using a different approach. Buy a few quality broadsheet newspapers, select a few interesting articles (e.g on say climate change or Darwin etc) and using a highlight pen mark several challenging words.

You should then get you child to read the article and explain back the keys points being made in the article. In particular you should get them to explain precisely the meaning of the highlighted words. If there is any doubt work together with a dictionary.
e.g words like inaugurate, augment and infamous which always seems to come up
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Thanks Ken
I forgot to mention you in my earlier post plus mike1880- both fountains of knowledge.
I feel like I'm doing an acceptance speech- but after such a long journey that's finally coming to an end its always right to thank those who've taken time to contribute and help out.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

I am visiting from Warwickshire as it is too quiet there, second time for us DD did test two years ago and is very happy in her GS. I am feeling the pressure with DS because other parents expect him to pass, (I think that when you already have one in GS there is more pressure for the second) they keep telling me he will be fine, maybe he will but you just don't know until results day. It is difficult to get him to do any prep as there is so much going on in the summer holidays, I think he needs to keep ticking over though.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now