PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT post details of test content

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DGM

Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT post details of test content

Post by DGM »

With regard to timescales for legitimate posting of test content, I wonder what is the agreed position of the forum's moderators?
DGM

Post by DGM »

More precisely, is there any regional and cross-regional discussion/agreement between moderators on this subject?

I ask only for the sake of clarity as I have no desire whatsoever to post any test content and, for good or for bad, will never be doing it.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I am sure the mods will make a statement on here soon as they do keep an eye on things. Have seen their standard post on various threads. Here it will be KenR or Um who know the system but the mods whilst being expert in their own regions do pop over to other regions so pretty sure will have an awareness of what is going on elsewhere.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Certainly in Warwickshire, the same test is used right up until the end of this academic year (i.e. July 2017) for late sitters - and I think the same is true of Birmingham, so I would suggest no test content until the summer holidays at the earliest.
patricia

Post by patricia »

DGM wrote:More precisely, is there any regional and cross-regional discussion/agreement between moderators on this subject?

Absolutely. We have our own little dungeon where we can discuss matters of interest.

Patricia
DGM

Post by DGM »

Dungeons and Dragons then :D . Thank you - looking forward to the outcome!
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Certainly in Warwickshire, the same test is used right up until the end of this academic year (i.e. July 2017) for late sitters - and I think the same is true of Birmingham, so I would suggest no test content until the summer holidays at the earliest.
Thanks kcg- next summer to be on the safe side.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Sorry to come in late on this, but it isn't that anyone is giving out the actual questions is it? But that the question types, their relative proportions and the exam structure is being disclosed. That IS advantageous to know though.

Maybe if the consortiums or CEM made it legally binding not to disclose, that would tihten some of this up. How is it handled for national exams (GCSE,A'level...)?

Personally, we'd have flopped abysmally if we hadn't the help of a tutor, as we had no realistic idea of what was on the exam paper (forget the familiarisation tasks, they help with mechanism of answering but not much on what to expect as subject matter - and non-prep schools don't usually teach the half of it.)

This site often goes a long way to giving a realistic view of what one should expect and prepare for, without "giving the answers away!" Now that, to me, sounds like good democratisation, and perhaps why the consortiums don't legally enforce - i.e. that might only entrench the privileged.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Having said that, I still consider myself as privileged: having found a tutor that I could afford to assist mean dc in preparation for 11+,and having become aware of the selective school route in the first place.
My parents didn't have any such privilege. But I guess that's progress.

There are still many bright children left without and languishing in an inappropriate, unsuitable setting. For the sake of our society, we could do with addressing that. It's too often still a classist system - but then, the whole world is in reality, not just Britain.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Some might argue that it's the children of working/middle class parents who are the most disadvantaged. These parents will do anything to get their children into the best prep schools and find the best tutors in town. And any free time available will be filled by extra-curricular activities which effectively squeezes any quality one-to-one time the child has to converse with parents or even to be able to regularly read quality literature.

So they end up having all the necessary help and facilities at their disposal, but no quality time with parents as far as 11+ prep is concerned. Either the parents are too busy or they are quite content in the knowledge that there is absolutely no need for them to get involved as they have the necessary measures in place.