It's all over....... 5 week countdown to results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MSD

Re: It's all over....... 5 week countdown to results

Post by MSD »

The idea behind standardisation is to provide level playing field irrespective of the age of the cohort sitting the test. However, a dumbed down, easier test completely takes the maturity factor out of equation.

I believe this years test has been the easiest by far! Generally you would find Walsall test to be easier than Brum, but it was the other way around this year.

MSD
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

I believe this years test has been the easiest by far! Generally you would find Walsall test to be easier than Brum, but it was the other way around this year.
Hi MSD
Is this what is being said about the two tests?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

...And based on what, MSD? Did you sit all the tests yourself?!!! And calling it "dumbed down" is, rude as you are implying that anyone who gets in got in on the back of a dumbed down test. They didn't - they still have to be ranked the highest out of all the children who took it - they still have to perform better than the majority.

Frankly, comparing tests year on year is anyway absolutely irrelevant. It is the cohort sitting THIS test THIS year that an individual child sitting the test this year is being compared against. Age standardisation is one minor factor - as DC are compared against children born in the same month as them, it may be that if all the June born children do spectacularly well, that they actually have to achieve better than the group of October children if they happen to do poorly. Every year people get all frantic about whether the age standardisation will benefit or impede their child, depending on what end of the calendar they are - it really isn't worth getting het up about, that is the point of age standardisation, it attempts to iron out any inequalities and you have to accept that when you apply to sit the test. (And this from someone who has DC at either end.)

It is really disheartening when people start to use it as another "excuse" as to why their child didn't gain a place, (like we hear every year about GCSEs/A levels being easier and therefore somehow less valued - but the kids who sit them are still graded on a Bell curve against the cohort sitting that years). In the same way that it is really disheartening listening to people talking about "well, this year it was so much easier/harder to get a place" (either to big up their child who did or big up their child who didn't). I think, if you put your child into the process you HAVE to accept the rough with the smooth - people whose children gain a place don't mention whether age standardisation helped but people whose children didn't gain a place often do - but everyone knows the system is in place. It has started to be a tool to devalue children who worked hard and gained a place - oh well, they were born in October - they had an advantage....Not necessarily. And I say again, I have one at either end of the age calendar. And, whilst historical evidence might say there are more Autumn born children in GS, actually this ISN'T true of either of my boys years - and of at least one other year in their GS that I know about - maybe this is evidence that the age standardisation works? Maybe not.

The system is warped right from the beginning - if you accept that children should be segregated at age 11 through "selection" then accept the additional foibles of the system too.
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

Generally you would find Walsall test to be easier than Brum, but it was the other way around this year.
That is generally the consensus, everyone i have spoken to has said the timings were more manageable on this consortium examination compared to Queen Marys.

This is why the children seem to think it was easier, my DS said it was not necessarily an easy exam, it was just
a) easier than he expected
b) he managed to answer all questions (correctly i hope :lol: ) and not miss any out.

Whereas in the Queen Marys exam he missed quite a few NVR questions out and a few in the other sections also.
He also came out and said that exam was hard initially as his first reaction.

I had made him fully aware that CEM is tight on timings and to move on and guess as there would most likely be multitudinous questions.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Hi Bob,

My son sat both, so I am well aware of the content and complexity. My eldest also sat both 3 years ago and I have unfortunately been following the content over many years :(

The CEM Birmingham tests have historically been quite time pressured, but wasn't the case this year. Without giving too much away, if you could complete the XXXXXXX and XXXXX in third the allocated time, comfortably check through the maths again and manage the NVR in time, it goes on to say a lot about the time pressure.

And the above isn't just my sons opinion and he isn't the brightest!

MSD

Moderator: edited to remove ref to specific section content
MSD

Post by MSD »

Ditto Ajay - Mine missed 7 questions in Walsall NVR.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

I think doing the QMGS as a mock this year allayed a lot of fears for many dc - just don't think it quite worked for our ds though :?
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

Mine missed 7 questions in Walsall NVR.
I think because he had missed approx 7 in the NVR alone and a few in the Verbal sections i specifically emphasised that he must not miss anything out in this one especially if its Multiple Choice. I was a little concerned when he first said he had missed out numerous questions however i know that many kids do miss out questions and still manage to do fairly well so i will just remain positive.

If a child has a word bank to choose from there is no excuse to miss anything out however its where you have certain letters missing from words that can be a little tricky.

Its done now so the results will paint a clearer picture of the 2 exams.

Roll on results day.....
Happyface

Post by Happyface »

I don't have any opinion if standardisation is good or bad but only reason I'm interested in it because if my dd tell me she did well or otherwise , I can't really gauge if she'll get the qual. score OR not. Only the result day will solve this mystery.
I believe the system does not penalise autmn or summer born & vice versa!!

posting same time as bluejay:)
MSD

Post by MSD »

KenyanGirl - May be not the best choice of word, but that is the bitter truth! And I was hoping that as an adult you would take it more constructively!

And I think you have entirely missed the point! The argument isn't that all children sit the samy test - the point I am trying to put across is that an easier test doesn't help the older cohort with regards to standardisation and they are at a disadvantage.

MSD