Correlation between Walsall and B'Ham scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Petitpois

Re: Correlation between Walsall and B'Ham scores

Post by Petitpois »

For that 226 to come out on KE we used

64.5 NVR (will check and edit this number as it may be higher)
92.5% Maths

65% for all the comp, VR.

I have the sectional break downs she provided but they all add up to about 200 questions across the two papers, so we felt ok about using raw numbers to estimate.

She says she dropped large numbers of questions on the first two sections of paper 1. At which point she says she started to get used to the time pressure speed, at which point she got going, but still was losing 1 or two questions in most sections, compounding problems.. She says she answered 100% of math questions across both papers and is certain she got 100% right??? I have cautiously pegged the maths back a bit. She says the NVR questions were not overly hard, but time pressure was on so assumptions about how many correctly answered are far more cautious.

To note, We specifically taught her not to read the comprehension first. Mom and sister in law taught her instead to read questions and then underline words in comp text. Although this approach is not perfect, it stops kids getting overwhelmed by the text. She executed on this, but time was against her, but, it might give her slightly better scores even though she missed few Qs out. Dont know if this had been discussed widely, but it takes some effort and training to get them to approach comprehension exercises this way (as opposed to reading a big text first, then looking at questions)

( To give you some comparison on bond mixed papers she would typically achieve about 65% correct for NVR. For schofield and sims, NVR her % could drop down to 40% especially for the really intricate picture progressions.........to note this was one of the factors that held back overall averages when doing mixed papers and kept scores firmly around 85% mark). BTW in the two weeks before KE we shifted, back to first principles and went slowly back over initial how to do principles, for NVR. She says they were bond level, not SS level, in both tests.

To some extent you can see why my earlier posts were panicked. This does not paint a good picture. Without the supporting walsall result my high, medium, low model was suggesting possibly not even getting qualifying score for KE CEM, and I still am not confident, we will get what we want.

It will be fascinating (but obviously dissapointing) if she does two CEM and the outcomes are wildly different. I think now I am confident my initial estimate of 194 was too low. DD is above average ability, so there no good reason to score her below 200 any longer, even with the missed Qs

We still think its going to be quite tight / borderline for KE, though.

Finally no I dont believe 240 is realistic, if she had performed same on ke as Qm, it probably is a 230+ result, but bigger population and worse performance, not confidence building factors
MSD

Post by MSD »

PP - I think you misunderstood my question. Looking at your predicted raw scores, I would expect the SD to be higher. So my question was, what average cohort raw score did you use to work out that SD? This is what I would guess them at:

Maths - 58%
NVR - 52 %
English - 55%

I have kept Maths higher as it seems most kids found it easier. On similar lines as your daughter, my son is also adamant he achieved 100% :roll:

I understand with one of the Maths section the answers were provided on the answer sheet and they had to shade the correct one. I would expect if the child worked out the answer, and if it was available as one of the choices on the answer sheet, they will generally be spot on.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Hi PP. Congratulations on the Walsall results! We went through this last year with dd (just KE) and we'll be doing it again next year. With dd we only started preparing at the end of June so we had a couple of months, which included weeks off for holidays. Our preparation was quite basic really. She scored 218. In the end she also got an assisted place at KEHS so we went for that. I believe she could probably have scored in the late 220s/230s if we'd done a full year of preparation, but of course we'll never know that for sure.

I just wondered - when you talk about scores in Bond papers, what papers are you referring to and what level? We have some books of Bond maths papers age 10-11 and 11-12. Did you have some mixed papers?

Thanks!
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Anyone out there who would like to post scores for both Walsall and brum tests from previous years?
It would be really useful to compare :) :D
Gladitsallover

Post by Gladitsallover »

My DS's haven't sat Walsall (DS1 sat Bham & Warks last year, DS2 the combined Bham/Warks this year!) but DS1's best friend scored 367 in the Walsall test and 239 in the Bham one last year. He's now at CHB getting a place off the waiting list - on which there was lots of movement - he was originally ranked 36th on the waiting list but by the end of April had his offer of a place.

I will reiterate that he very much took the Walsall test as a mock so the 'no pressure' aspect might have been a factor in his higher Walsall score but he's not my own DS so difficult to add any more detail than that.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Gladitsallover wrote:My DS's haven't sat Walsall (DS1 sat Bham & Warks last year, DS2 the combined Bham/Warks this year!) but DS1's best friend scored 367 in the Walsall test and 239 in the Bham one last year. He's now at CHB getting a place off the waiting list - on which there was lots of movement - he was originally ranked 36th on the waiting list but by the end of April had his offer of a place.

I will reiterate that he very much took the Walsall test as a mock so the 'no pressure' aspect might have been a factor in his higher Walsall score but he's not my own DS so difficult to add any more detail than that.
Thanks for the info Glad :)
These two scores are the closest correlation that I have come across ie brum score being 2/3 of Walsall result.
Anything else guys? :D
SCmum

Post by SCmum »

Firstly congratulations to everyone's DC who have sat the Walsall and Birmingham exams this year, regardless of score- it is such a big thing for a young child to go through that they should all be incredibly proud of themselves.

My DD sat the Walsall and Birmingham exams last year. She scored 336 in the Walsall exam and 212 in the Birmingham exam so did much better in the Walsall exam. I think this was a combination of being less nervous for the Walsall exam, although we didn't use it as a mock, and the weighting of the Walsall exam being more favourable towards maths being her stronger subject. We put Sutton Girls as our first choice followed by QM and she was offered QM in March. She was 55th on the waiting list for SG. I have already posted this info on another thread but she was offered SG last week. However she is so happy and settled at QM, even after a relatively short time, that we have declined the offer despite living in SC. I think everything happens for a reason and I'm sure everything will work out fine for all of this cohorts DC even if they don't initially get offered their first choice.

My DS has just started Year 4 so I have another years reprieve before I have to do it all again!!
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

SCmum wrote:Firstly congratulations to everyone's DC who have sat the Walsall and Birmingham exams this year, regardless of score- it is such a big thing for a young child to go through that they should all be incredibly proud of themselves.

My DD sat the Walsall and Birmingham exams last year. She scored 336 in the Walsall exam and 212 in the Birmingham exam so did much better in the Walsall exam. I think this was a combination of being less nervous for the Walsall exam, although we didn't use it as a mock, and the weighting of the Walsall exam being more favourable towards maths being her stronger subject. We put Sutton Girls as our first choice followed by QM and she was offered QM in March. She was 55th on the waiting list for SG. I have already posted this info on another thread but she was offered SG last week. However she is so happy and settled at QM, even after a relatively short time, that we have declined the offer despite living in SC. I think everything happens for a reason and I'm sure everything will work out fine for all of this cohorts DC even if they don't initially get offered their first choice.

My DS has just started Year 4 so I have another years reprieve before I have to do it all again!!
Congrats scmum and thanks for the scores :)
It goes without saying that the happiness of a dc is paramount. It's 7 years at the same after all-a very long time for a young person.
Keep them coming guys :D
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Crazy crofter I have posted a detailed progress summary of our scores by question type taken at snapshots in Oct 2014 and mid 2015.

SCmum, that post is really helpful, I think it shows a broad correlation with several other posts and it makes me wonder whether the scores on Walsall and KE are broadly consistent. That said your other point about waiting list is reassuring if we don't get the cut off for KE handsworth girls

cheers
Last edited by Petitpois on Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mombrum

Post by mombrum »

My son did both exams last year and got 325 in Walsall exam and 232 in KE exam. He hadn't done any prep for the Walsall one but he did do work over the summer for KE. He now goes to KEFW.