Peer Pressure/Issues girls face at a single sex school.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
finners

Re: Peer Pressure/Issues girls face at a single sex school.

Post by finners »

Many thanks for the replies, and I am sure it is my over anxious mind, as I did say in the opening post this behavior happens in all schools because children will be children, and I pointed out the people suggesting this had no first hand experience of this with children at WHGS.

It seems those that have children there or at other single sex schools can dispel the myth that it is worse for this type of behavior and perhaps it is a little bit of sour grapes aimed at high achieving schools.

Many thanks for the replies from these it would seem WGHS is not better or worse than anywhere else.
MrsPab

Post by MrsPab »

Hey, my Daughter is just in her 4th week of year 7 at WGHS. Similarly to yourself, many family members and friends (none of whom had actually been to WGHS but knew someone who knew someone) also had horror stories similar to the ones you mention of bullying, competitiveness etc. etc.

Over the Summer my Daughter met up a few times with lots of girls she had met on the induction days and through this I got to meet parents also. Not once did anyone seem stuck up or pretentious.

Due to the nature of the school entry requirements WGHS attracts a real mix of girls from lots of different walks of life and for me that is the one of the best things about it! My Daughter is a very soft character and not outwardly confident and I have to say she is having the time of her life at WGHS. She has made so many friends, seems to be enjoying the workload and generally is excited about the opportunity. They do instil confidence in the girls but not in a cocky, nasty way but in a very supportive of each other and positive way

Ignore the 'stories' and rest assured your Daughter is set for a great, happy few years. All the best! :D
Happyfeet62

Post by Happyfeet62 »

Would totally agree with Mrs Mcpab. DD in year 7 at QMHS. Having wonderful time. Loving environment - girls and teachers .
Happyfeet62

Post by Happyfeet62 »

Apologies meant MrsPab .
indigop

Post by indigop »

My daughter is at QMHS. She is doing really well and I think its a great school. There has not been a sniff of trouble for her or any of her friends as far as I am aware. I am glad she is at single sex school. I think the benefits far outweigh the cons.
finners

Post by finners »

Many thanks for those first hand experiences, which are in sharp contrast to the stories you hear.

It seems it is a supportive & nurturing environment by these accounts & I would rather hear it 'first hand' from parents who have children there over stories from other parents not connected with the school
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

um wrote:My dd is at CHG and I have never heard anything remotely similar to your description happening among her friendship group, which includes girls from a very varied range of backgrounds.
It certainly did happen in her old primary but not in CHG. It's been very refreshing.
This is my experience too. My eldest dd is in year 9 at CHG and her friends are down to earth and wholesome. The girls seem to respect each other's differences too; it's a good place to be quirky!
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

2 weeks ago I wrote off KE, and prayed DD would scrape a place at Queen Mary.

2 days ago I wrote off Queen Mary and praised DD, that she had achieved WGHS

2 minutes ago I wrote of WGHS and starting praying that I would scrape a place at CHG

see how fickle 11+ plus make you. That must be the start of a poem as well.
pinkhousemom

Post by pinkhousemom »

finners wrote:
As you may of seen my daughter was recommended to apply for WGHS but not QMS which was weird in itself, which I will decide after to speaking to the schools if to proceed with this application, however upon speaking with colleagues at work today & mentioning I may apply for WGHS the general response was '''ohh I wouldn't send my daughter there' & a range of horror stories followed of peer pressure, bullying through 'class' of the cars parents drive, parents jobs etc...I would add none of those parents had children sent or had children there.

On the 'Breaking News' thread, there's been some laughing and joking about having to drive a Rover to WGHS, that it's ok because it's in Wolverhampton 'God's own country'. Just a thought that I'm going to park here, but really? The kids have to get ideas from somewhere. Not everyone has brand new and elite vehicles. Even in jest, it does come over quite snobbish. Just my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

pinkhousemom wrote:
finners wrote:
As you may of seen my daughter was recommended to apply for WGHS but not QMS which was weird in itself, which I will decide after to speaking to the schools if to proceed with this application, however upon speaking with colleagues at work today & mentioning I may apply for WGHS the general response was '''ohh I wouldn't send my daughter there' & a range of horror stories followed of peer pressure, bullying through 'class' of the cars parents drive, parents jobs etc...I would add none of those parents had children sent or had children there.

On the 'Breaking News' thread, there's been some laughing and joking about having to drive a Rover to WGHS, that it's ok because it's in Wolverhampton 'God's own country'. Just a thought that I'm going to park here, but really? The kids have to get ideas from somewhere. Not everyone has brand new and elite vehicles. Even in jest, it does come over quite snobbish. Just my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.
Steady on PHM- it was only done in jest :D
We were only letting off a bit of steam as we just had some important breaking news. We've got some baggies fans in our household so that's why we had the wolves banter re: god's own country!
Can't comment on the rover 420 as I've never had one although my first car was a rover montego and that was a great car :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now