What would you do in our situation?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MSD

Re: What would you do in our situation?

Post by MSD »

Bob1892 wrote:MSD- how do the kids like it where you currently live? Do they like the area, house, have they got many friends, relatives etc. nearby? If they like where they are and don't mind the commute and you've spent a lot of money on your house I would say stick with your status quo.
Unless you want a small 3 bed terrace in Harborne at twice the price (not that there's anything wrong with a 3 bed terrace on Harborne! :)
If you guys are ready for a move ie want a different area, shorter commute then you know what you must do.
In the end we've been sacrificing a lot for our kids to get them a GS place and they're growing up now so their input will be getting quite important now.
Yes, the kids do like it here as most of their primary school friends still live around us. Both of them play football for a local league and have been doing so for many years. Moving would mean stopping that. It's a difficult one really - lot of positives and negatives.
MSD

Post by MSD »

mombrum wrote:From reading your post briefly I would just like to add that we live in Harborne and have done for many years. It is expensive but we love it and you can always sell up and leave when the kids are older as the houses hold their value. My son has just started at KEFW and it is so convenient with 2 Green buses plus lots of public transport to choose from, I also have the option of taking him myself which takes 10 minutes. Another plus is that there are lots of KEFWs kids who live in the area, I would say 20 + that I know of myself. Also we have youth clubs, scouts and endless other activities all within walking distance. My son is in the house by 4.10 every day which gives him lots of time outside of school. Best of luck with your decision.
Thanks mombrum! It will be a dream come true to be back at 4:10pm for us. That will save an hour and half one way, and 3 hours both ways, every day. That's 15 hours a week, nearly 600 hours a year, and 4,200 hours over 7 years. And that too for two boys :(

Never really thought of it like that, but looking at those figures we will have to seriously start thinking about our next move :)
um

Post by um »

It's a difficult one. We moved close to the school once my 3rd dc had a place there and I do not regret it - even though it was to a smaller house overall.
However, unlike you, I had no emotional attachment to the old house at all and we have more friends and amenities in this area. And I haven't missed it for one second :D
From what you've said, your situation is different which is why you'd need to think more carefully.

The first few months (until we got an extension built) were certainly rather cramped but the ease of living right next to the school (i.e. kids waking up 5 minutes before the bell :roll: ) was - and is - just wonderful. Even when they leave things at home, or if there are events or meetings, it's a very easy walk up the road.
They are home within 5-10 minutes of school finishing and can get straight on with their homework (in theory :wink: ).
No standing waiting in the cold/rain/dark for buses and having a long journey back after a tiring day.
Now that ds1 is in 6th form, he can come home for free periods and for lunch too.

I have friend who lives in the rural part of Barnt Green - it does seem a very nice area with good transport links.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

If your children are happy and not complaining - why not wait and ask them to tell you if they start to have a problem?

I have friends whose children are at Indies who are out of the house 7am - 7pm several days a week - admittedly not all of that time after school is spent sitting on a bus; much of it is spent playing sport - but nonetheless they still have to do homework etc on top of that.

Moving house is not without its downsides. We are trying to move to a cheaper area for financial reasons. We have been trying for a year - we have had 2 sales literally fall through the week we were due to exchange after months of expecting to move any week... Hopefully we are a rare example :cry: but nonetheless those upheavals have been quite stressful for our children.

Presumably by the time your ds is doing A levels lots of work can be done in free periods at school so then the commute becomes less of an issue.

Personally if they are happy and not asking to move I would wait it out and see what happens - as long as they are aware that they can talk to you about it at any point.
MSD

Post by MSD »

um wrote:It's a difficult one. We moved close to the school once my 3rd dc had a place there and I do not regret it - even though it was to a smaller house overall.
However, unlike you, I had no emotional attachment to the old house at all and we have more friends and amenities in this area. And I haven't missed it for one second :D
From what you've said, your situation is different which is why you'd need to think more carefully.

The first few months (until we got an extension built) were certainly rather cramped but the ease of living right next to the school (i.e. kids waking up 5 minutes before the bell :roll: ) was - and is - just wonderful. Even when they leave things at home, or if there are events or meetings, it's a very easy walk up the road.
They are home within 5-10 minutes of school finishing and can get straight on with their homework (in theory :wink: ).
No standing waiting in the cold/rain/dark for buses and having a long journey back after a tiring day.
Now that ds1 is in 6th form, he can come home for free periods and for lunch too.

I have friend who lives in the rural part of Barnt Green - it does seem a very nice area with good transport links.
Thanks Um! It must be great to wake up 5 minutes before the bell goes off. My little one does that now, as the school is only couple of minutes away. But still gets late every day - not setting a great example being an ambassador for the school :roll: :roll:
MSD

Post by MSD »

loobylou wrote:If your children are happy and not complaining - why not wait and ask them to tell you if they start to have a problem?

I have friends whose children are at Indies who are out of the house 7am - 7pm several days a week - admittedly not all of that time after school is spent sitting on a bus; much of it is spent playing sport - but nonetheless they still have to do homework etc on top of that.

Moving house is not without its downsides. We are trying to move to a cheaper area for financial reasons. We have been trying for a year - we have had 2 sales literally fall through the week we were due to exchange after months of expecting to move any week... Hopefully we are a rare example :cry: but nonetheless those upheavals have been quite stressful for our children.

Presumably by the time your ds is doing A levels lots of work can be done in free periods at school so then the commute becomes less of an issue.

Personally if they are happy and not asking to move I would wait it out and see what happens - as long as they are aware that they can talk to you about it at any point.
Thanks loobylou - I completely see where you are coming from. And kids these days start driving when they are 16 (I think) - so may be worth waiting another couple of years.
um

Post by um »

It is 17 ...ds1 is applying to sit the theory test soon. Although the insurance is so high I wonder if using taxis to get around would be cheaper :shock:
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Nephew used to do his commute into Manchester Grammar from 17. Solved one problem but created another as competitive younger sister, hated his new found freedoms.

Also term fees for the insurance, unless alternatives possible
MSD

Post by MSD »

Oh, OK! You will find that soon he will be doing all the kid drop-offs. When you are new driver, you don't really mind taking the car for a spin :D

Third party only insurance on a really cheap car is the way forward.
um

Post by um »

Ah you guessed my plan MSD :lol:
I really hope he passes asap... I was driving for about 4 hours in traffic on Friday dropping various children here and there.
Unfortunately he can't even start learning on the road until he passes his 17th birthday soon....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now