WGHS OPEN EVENING

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Petitpois

WGHS OPEN EVENING

Post by Petitpois »

t had a chat with wghs, if you put down queen mary Only you need to contact them to update pref or you wont get an invite to the open evening on 8 Oct.

When I mentioned minimum cut off of 297 from, they basically said average was 309. I got sense that 316 seemed more realistic. If you have only ticked queen m, then you wont get an invite to the open evening.

I have not been to queen mary so I hope I can have a mooch there too.
Faith4

Re: WGHS OPEN EVENING

Post by Faith4 »

Petitpois:- Sorry, I was a little confused by your post. Do you mean to say that you want to go to QM open evening?
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

No we initially expressed an interest only in Queen Mary's. Were looking at WGHS potentially, but if you have not expressed an interest in WGHS you will not have received a letter from them.

Consequently you will not be invited to their invitation only open event in the next few weeks.

I had to ring Queen Mary and speak to their admissions team and get them to send my DD's details to Wolverhampton, which means i'll get a letter and presumably an invite shortly.
Faith4

Post by Faith4 »

That's good that you managed to get that sorted in time. Good luck to you and your child and I hope everything goes well for you. :D
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Wghs are closing this Thursday 8th October 2015 at 2 30 pm for the open evening between 6 and 8 30 PM.My dd will be one of those in year 7 acting as general guides to show parents who have been sent letters around the school.I recall from last year that as you attend they have a general list and tick off children's names for those who attend.What they lack in knowledge and knowing their way around the school they will make up with enthusiasm.Good luck to those attending and who are after a place.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
staffsmum

Post by staffsmum »

Does anyone know if they normally give you information about transport options to the school on open evening?
Just that this will be a major factor in our decision making !
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

The school bus company may be there this time.Last year they didn't have a school contract at this stage in 2014 they were certainly there for the evening after the children were given the offers for the school in March 2015 when the children and parents were invited
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
wolvomommy

Post by wolvomommy »

My daughter scored 301 :/ but has still been recommended to apply.
Is it worth going to the open evening?? We went to the open day earlier this year.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I think you should ring the school directly.

They will give you the party line of the averages and the lowest score for entrance, but won't be able to tell you where you are likely to be come March allocations, because they have to hedge their bet, based on the lowest score 297 (but the score is expected to be significantly higher this year). Expected being the operative word.

I sense the question your asking - is it worth it for me to attend. No one with certainty can answer that, other than yourself, based on your estimation of the likelihood you being successful (at the end of the allocations process) and the value you will get from attending the open evening.

I wish you the very best, facing the same situation or worse, when the the KE results come out. Not looking forward to it.

PP
wolvomommy

Post by wolvomommy »

Thanks. I don't think I'm going to take her. I feel it would be rubbing salt into the wound :( Good luck with your results x