Newport Girls High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MSD

Re: Newport Girls High

Post by MSD »

Cosmo6 wrote:It is fishy. I actually rang Adams the day we got the letters because I was so confused by the lack of score. I thought it was a mistake. Anyway whoever I spoke to said all the info I needed was in the letter. I replied there was no score and they asked what my letter said. When I quoted 'would benefit from/strongly encourage' He said well there you go then that tells you everything you need to know........ :?
I think it's a joke! Why do they have issue with providing the score, last year cut-off's and, additionally, whether they will recommend you to apply or not.

Rather than asking parents what information they would want in a reporting system, they seem to be making the decisions on parents behalf, thinking they know it better.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

hear hear!
MSD

Post by MSD »

It really is a big joke PP and winding me up no end. I wish the entire 5300 taking the test sent an email out requesting the full information on data protection. I guarantee that will then change the reporting system next year.

PP - Could you please comment on the old data protection post to bring it back on top? Hopefully that way few more parents will benefit.
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

The letter gives no previous data or no cut off qualifying score info. Why the secrecy? All other schools give you this, so you can at least make an informed decision.

I even asked the Head, what the lowest score was for last years admission. But he did not give me an answer. I just don't see what the harm is in sharing previous historical data. Surely this info will benefit the majority?
MSD

Post by MSD »

Thumbsup wrote:The letter gives no previous data or no cut off qualifying score info. Why the secrecy? All other schools give you this, so you can at least make an informed decision.

I even asked the Head, what the lowest score was for last years admission. But he did not give me an answer. I just don't see what the harm is in sharing previous historical data. Surely this info will benefit the majority?
Have you sent them an email under Data Protection Act yet?
Bluedad

Post by Bluedad »

Guess it's going to be a long 5 months then !!! Here's hoping 315 and a strongly encourage letter is telling us what we want to hear !! Still seems like a borderline score to me though.
Cosmo6

Post by Cosmo6 »

Bluedad wrote:Guess it's going to be a long 5 months then !!! Here's hoping 315 and a strongly encourage letter is telling us what we want to hear !! Still seems like a borderline score to me though.
You're right, I suppose it is borderline as it's close to previous years cut off's but I think there is definitely a very reasonable chance for NGHS with that score. It's annoying having to wait so long to find out. Put it as your 1st choice and keep your fingers crossed :)
Cosmo6

Post by Cosmo6 »

MSD wrote:
Cosmo6 wrote:It is fishy. I actually rang Adams the day we got the letters because I was so confused by the lack of score. I thought it was a mistake. Anyway whoever I spoke to said all the info I needed was in the letter. I replied there was no score and they asked what my letter said. When I quoted 'would benefit from/strongly encourage' He said well there you go then that tells you everything you need to know........ :?
I think it's a joke! Why do they have issue with providing the score, last year cut-off's and, additionally, whether they will recommend you to apply or not.

Rather than asking parents what information they would want in a reporting system, they seem to be making the decisions on parents behalf, thinking they know it better.
All the parents were complaining at the open days and we were told scores were of no benefit to us! Like they know better.....Every other school in the consortium gave out scores...whilst we are left completely in the dark :x

Why all the secrecy? They won't even tell us the pass mark......
Bluedad

Post by Bluedad »

Cosmo6 wrote:
Bluedad wrote:Guess it's going to be a long 5 months then !!! Here's hoping 315 and a strongly encourage letter is telling us what we want to hear !! Still seems like a borderline score to me though.
You're right, I suppose it is borderline as it's close to previous years cut off's but I think there is definitely a very reasonable chance for NGHS with that score. It's annoying having to wait so long to find out. Put it as your 1st choice and keep your fingers crossed :)

Done. Here's hoping !!!!!
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

Cosmo6 wrote:
MSD wrote:

All the parents were complaining at the open days and we were told scores were of no benefit to us! Like they know better.....Every other school in the consortium gave out scores...whilst we are left completely in the dark :x

Why all the secrecy? They won't even tell us the pass mark......
Do you think that because its the first year Adams have imposed a catchment area they don't know what variation from last years cut off there will be?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now