QM Boys Grammar School Vs KEFW... 2015 Opinions Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Happy dad

Re: QM Boys Grammar School Vs KEFW... 2015 Opinions Please

Post by Happy dad »

DS1 at KEFW and DS2 at another boys school.

QM was first school visited and we were impressed with the school. Liked the fact they do CCF, boys were impressive, a very academic feel to the place which is good and bad in that it felt a bit like an exam factory. Nightmare commute. Single sex schools are very different to mixed so whilst this suits DS2 it wouldn't suit DS1. If a boys school would opt for BV or Adams'. It was QM which pushed me down the tutoring route as guide told me "everyone in his year had been tutored" :cry:

KEFW is a great school. Probably the most impressive grounds of any of the GS with facilities to match. Very friendly - although I do feel the Head is a bit too friendly and doesn't have the presence of a Head - and mixed which gives it a different culture to the other GS. Girls in minority although on prize giving you would think the opposite were the case. More diverse than QM. Came Top of the league tables 2014 for academic performance. I feel more could be done to involve pupils in house events - the house system seems rather an afterthought. Green bus from door to door.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Just to respond to HDs post
Funny, I didn't feel the exam-factory factor at QM - I did at CHB.

I can't figure your location if QM is distant, bit Adams and BV isn't: not that it's my business, just puzzled.

Personally, I think most who pass are tutored (as well as many who don't pass - tutor effectiveness varies as well as child suitability). Personally it was too big thing for me to take the risk of not tutoring, especially given our ignorance of the 11+ and educational system at the time, and our good fortune to find a good tutor at a reasonable price at the time. Besides, the tutoring was of general educational benefit and provided "stretch."

11+ minefield. I wish it needn't be so.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Windowglass very much agree re the stretch.

Not sure the tutor was necessary overall, with greater self confidence we could have done it DIY. But confidence in the school was lower than it needed to be for a variety of reasons, so we got her tutored.

I spent so much time worrying about the potential for the school failing, that I ended up not seeing how effective school was. The year 5 teacher was particularly good. I think we had good luck in the end. The school was on an upward curve and we had a very good realistic tutor, not some merchant selling snake oil.

After careful consideration I would say if you know your going to get a a good solid teacher for year 5, bite their hands off and this should give you confidence to do the DIY (or not), but you do need to do something extra.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Petitpois wrote:... we had a very good realistic tutor, not some merchant selling snake oil.
I like that - though I've never known where the phrase originated from.

I've come across tutors whose work probably isn't sufficient and/or will take on pretty much any child, even if doomed not to succeed against the competition. Maybe they add value anyway, and most seem sincere; but I wonder how many are wasting parent/child time/money and worse, deluding them towards failure.

Additionally, about the QM tutoring comment. I think it's ok for some/many/most to have got in having been tutored. The question is, how many then require further tutoring once they're in? And I'm not alluding to just a little coaching/feedback, revision assistance or proof reading ahead of a big essay/recital or anything like that.
MSD

Post by MSD »

I have come across few tutors, via friends/family, who don't actually know the subject weighting being used by Walsall and Birmingham. There are tutors out there who still carry on doing the old code style VR stuff.

I have also come across tutors who have been asking children to write a beautifully constructed long story once a week to pass KE grammar test.

EDIT - My son's currently in Year 9 at KEFW, and we used a tutor for around 18 months prior to 11+. He isn't overly bright, but what I have found is that since he has been at FW there is a striking difference in his work ethic and he cares a lot more about his homework and tests. We have reached a point where he now sits us down in the study, and gives us a full revision lecture on the white board, prior to any of his term tests.
Last edited by MSD on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Snake oil salesman would peddle their wares in the states, going from town to town with a buddy.

The buddy would take the snake oil and miraculously be cured or suddenly be able to walk. The actual "snake oil", was at best neutral sometimes harmful.

I see children as seeds, plant them in good ground and the seed even if lower quality will flourish much better than elsewhere.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

BTW standard deviation tells you most children are good seeds, with about the same numbers of top quality and lower quality seeds per batch.

That's why I never listen to those that mention kids not being able to cope in GS.

Get them over the line they will be fine. It is all that matters.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

WindowGlass wrote:Just to respond to HDs post
Funny, I didn't feel the exam-factory factor at QM - I did at CHB.

I can't figure your location if QM is distant, bit Adams and BV isn't: not that it's my business, just puzzled.

Personally, I think most who pass are tutored (as well as many who don't pass - tutor effectiveness varies as well as child suitability). Personally it was too big thing for me to take the risk of not tutoring, especially given our ignorance of the 11+ and educational system at the time, and our good fortune to find a good tutor at a reasonable price at the time. Besides, the tutoring was of general educational benefit and provided "stretch."

11+ minefield. I wish it needn't be so.
Didn't visit CHB as logistically not doable, but I am not surprised by your comment.

Location is just down the road from MSD between Wolves and Dudley. BV is train from Coseley to Sutton and short walk to school. Adams is short drive and then Wolves 1 Adams' coach. QM is much worse than either of those two options with either an hour train journey plus long walk or long bus journey with X number of changes.

I would have preferred not to tutor but most if not all are tutored in some way either DIY, private tutor or indie preparatory school. My boys deserved a fair crack at it and luckily they got over the line.

Best of luck to all waiting for results. I feel your pain.

Both are very good schools.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

HD
I think I can say yawm a Blackcountryite like iyam then. Or very nearly so.
For the selective schools, transport-wise, we're luck to have trains and trams here, unlike the south-western side of the region!

I really didn't like the idea of having to rely on the green bus. I'm sure it works and benefits some, especially for the first year, but my DS now stays on late after school, goes in at weekends. And sometimes wants to go in early to hand work in before lessons start; let alone meeting up with friends. Green bus wouldn't facilitate that.
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

Having just seen QM (and having previously been to 2 KEFW open events) I absolutely loved QM. The head seemed dynamic and genuine, the 6th form guide knowledgeable and proud of the school, and the school itself small and with great facilities. I prefer it, if I'm honest, but logistically FW is a much easier commute for my son and if he scores enough will be first preference on the basis of travel. However, now I've seen QM, I don't feel that it would be a disaster if he didn't score well enough in the KE, and if I were that bit closer to QM it would absolutely be first choice for me regardless. I'm a big one for 'feeling' I go much more on instinct and feeling for whether a place suits my child than statistics and reports, and my feeling for QM is a good one (as it also is for KEFW, but QM now has the edge for me!).