KES open morning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bob1892

KES open morning

Post by Bob1892 »

Anyone been to the KES open morning today?
What an awesome school- shame it's not free. :(
It'll definitely be a consideration for us- any views on the school for those who have dc there already?
mamfa

Re: KES open morning

Post by mamfa »

Hi Bob

I went- it is pretty amazing. DS was a little non-plussed at the prospect of another exam but he was totally bowled over by the Head's speech and he now wants to put it top of his list *checks bank balance nervously*.

I only went after a colleague (whose son attends) highly recommended it- in his words, he went to the local comp and he's done pretty well for himself (he has! lol) so he wasn't really sold on indies- but he really recommends KES
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

It was the only KE school I hadn't been to.
Everything seemed perfect - the GS are good but this school seems on a slightly different planet.
Excellent IB results apparently & I think 21 went to Oxbridge!
3 problems potentially round the corner:
1) Ds will be reluctant to do work again for the KES exam after his hard GS slog;
2) IF ds passes for GS & KES - how do you differentiate and choose? - must be **** of a (albeit fortunate) decision to make;
3) how hard do you have to work to gain an academic scholarship?
I might have to break into the piggy bank soon..... :shock:
Hajra

Post by Hajra »

We went - absolutely loved it! How we wish it was free too :?
kumarsAt42

Post by kumarsAt42 »

We all loved it. Shame it is not free.

By the way, there was a slide in the Chief Masters speech, about fees deduction for assisted places (i.e. for bright kids) based on parent's income.

Does anyone knows about this information?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

[quote="kumarsAt42"]We all loved it. Shame it is not free.

By the way, there was a slide in the Chief Masters speech, about fees deduction for assisted places (i.e. for bright kids) based on parent's income.

Does anyone knows about this information?[/quote]

[url] http://www.kes.org.uk/assisted-places.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [/url]
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
moshimoshi

Post by moshimoshi »

Yes, I attended KES Open Day on Saturday, really impressive place. I like that its a traditional maths and english test and school reports are considered too. Along with the interviews,the school is screening for pupils that meet the school's aspirations;so probably an "untutorable" process.

I understand that assisted places are for those that request it in conjunction with attracting pupils that the school would encourage to accept places.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Hi

I'm failrly reluctant to say much on this, as I think you have to ask the parents and children at the end of their school years; and besides, if the choice of school was right - and who can tell! - then any school could be the "right" school for the "right" child. But, suffice to say, my DS is happy there - and yes, we think the school is brilliant! It's the kind of school you wish every school was - but realistically isn't. But a school is the staff, governors/sponsors, the pupils and the parents (possibly past as well as present) - and this school has cultivated that community, and has had the historical opportunity to do that.

What is nice, is that this is a very BIRMINGHAM school (and dare I say it Blackcountry, or even proposed West Midlands Combined Authority region). It's not like what I imagine a "southern" independent school to be. What I mean is that it is distinctive, whilst being high up there nationally and even internationally.

What also is nice is that KE Foundation run some of the greatest schools in the region, and more than that are making in-roads into financial accessibility to this school in addition to running a state maintained school also!

What with the University schools (Aston, Birmingham) and perhaps some of the academies, the education provision in the second city and region is looking up I think.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

I've started to save for KES already- a few less pints a week should help.
mamfa

Post by mamfa »

And just to prove how impressive KES is- I emailed to ask a question about the assisted places scheme and they replied inside 4 minutes.

Just need to (find and) marry a millionaire now... :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now