Wolverhampton Girls High - open evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Wolczr

Re: Wolverhampton Girls High - open evening

Post by Wolczr »

Those parents who say that the head said that you wont be considered if you don't put WGHS must have attended a different event to me. The head was quite explicit: the schools DO NOT know your true order of preference and kenyancowgirls description of process is exactly right according to what we were told. Trudi's point was unambiguous and made very clearly and I am at a loss to know why those parents who told you differently came away so misinformed.
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Put your schools in YOUR TRUE ORDER OF PREFERENCE.

Your application will be considered against their entry criteria in the order of preference you have listed. If you do not get your first school, your second listed school will be considered as if it was your first - you will be placed in the highest of your preference schools to which you meet the criteria.

For example you put: 1) red school 2) blue school 3) yellow school. You scored 75/100

Red school's entry requires you to score 78/100, blue school 74/100 and yellow school 70/100

You do not get accepted for red school. Blue school now EFFECTIVELY becomes your (new) First choice school. You get given entry to Blue school - they don't know you put red school first - they just know you met their entry requirement.

You get removed from yellow school list as you have been given one of your higher preference schools. You will be put on red school's waiting list (unless you request to be removed) as you indicated to the council (by putting red school first) that that would be your real preference. You may or may not be offered a place at red school from the waiting list.
Thank you so much for detailed reply. This is what my understanding was (took me time to get my head around, but got there in the end!) But when I hear people say otherwise, in particular parents you know, it leaves me puzzled again.

I've come to the conclusion that I will put in true order of preference and refrain from discussing with other parents. It's just not worth it, creating an issue where there is none. I'm particularly sensitive as our score is borderline. So have battled with thoughts such as, 'shall we put school we are more likely to get as first?'. But now understand if we do that, we won't even be considered for our second choice, (which is the one we really want!). But if we do in true preference order, even if we don't get it, we at least go on waiting list plus second choice will then be processed as first.
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

Wolczr wrote:Those parents who say that the head said that you wont be considered if you don't put WGHS must have attended a different event to me. The head was quite explicit: the schools DO NOT know your true order of preference and kenyancowgirls description of process is exactly right according to what we were told. Trudi's point was unambiguous and made very clearly and I am at a loss to know why those parents who told you differently came away so misinformed.
I too am at a loss! Two different parents who attended the open evening were discussing this! I'm not even interested in that school (as applying for DS) but when they were discussing the preference order process, that got my attention. They were really adamant!! Anyway I shall be sticking to our true preference order and hope for the best! Thanks for your reply!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I sometimes wonder whether our LEA is the only one in the entire country that details this clearly in the guidance published each year for applicants to its schools. Then one year, I picked a few LEAs at random and had a look at their Secondary Transfer information, and discovered that strangely, the Borough of Southend on Sea is not unique, after all. :shock:

In the state coordinated admissions system, it is your LEA which allocates school places according to the rules and officially makes you the offer. I think real confusion is added where results of tests are received from schools themselves - I'm willing to bet that most schools do including the advice that 'this does not constitute an offer of a place...' etc but people still think that they have a place at the school to 'claim', wherever on their CAF they put it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Always first choice first.
If you need proof look at Birmingham allocations thread from last year and see how much movement there was on wait lists.
We put SCGSG first and our local comp 2nd.
Got offered comp but on wait list for SCGSG.
Got in from 45th on wait list in July.
Reason for us getting in was so much movement in the lists for KE schools.
Good luck.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

One of the big reasons for the large movement in the ke w/l according to a couple of reputable tutors is that many more dps are opting for the indies now than ever before particularly KES and kehs.
These two indies, particularly the former have a LOT going for them at the moment as they seem to be riding the crest of a wave- just check out their recent IB results- ridiculously impressive.
It's certainly a serious consideration for us.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

ToadMum wrote:I sometimes wonder whether our LEA is the only one in the entire country that details this clearly in the guidance published each year for applicants to its schools. Then one year, I picked a few LEAs at random and had a look at their Secondary Transfer information, and discovered that strangely, the Borough of Southend on Sea is not unique, after all. :shock:

In the state coordinated admissions system, it is your LEA which allocates school places according to the rules and officially makes you the offer. I think real confusion is added where results of tests are received from schools themselves - I'm willing to bet that most schools do including the advice that 'this does not constitute an offer of a place...' etc but people still think that they have a place at the school to 'claim', wherever on their CAF they put it.
That may be how it is supposed to work.......DS1 is currently at a school that has never been offered by our LEA - the KEFW offer came direct on their letterhead - in fact our online CAF still states that he is attending the school we rejected. :shock:

When I attended a QMGS open evening a few years ago the Head made it very clear "if you don't put us first you won't get offered a place". I then spoke to my LEA who explained very clearly how it works. They then failed to follow their own guidance. :roll:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Happy dad wrote:
ToadMum wrote:I sometimes wonder whether our LEA is the only one in the entire country that details this clearly in the guidance published each year for applicants to its schools. Then one year, I picked a few LEAs at random and had a look at their Secondary Transfer information, and discovered that strangely, the Borough of Southend on Sea is not unique, after all. :shock:

That may be how it is supposed to work.......DS1 is currently at a school that has never been offered by our LEA - the KEFW offer came direct on their letterhead - in fact our online CAF still states that he is attending the school we rejected. :shock:

When I attended a QMGS open evening a few years ago the Head made it very clear "if you don't put us first you won't get offered a place". I then spoke to my LEA who explained very clearly how it works. They then failed to follow their own guidance. :roll:
I think the clue comes in your '...attending the school we rejected'? I assume that you got a waiting list place at KEFW? And that the initial school offer did come via your LEA? Waiting list procedures differ; some academies handle their own from the outset, others have theirs handled by the LEA, at least until a certain point, e.g.the end of the summer holidays. As to why your LEA didn't record your rejection, I don't know - but did you tell them which school you had finally accepted, or was it stated / assumed that the school would?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
wolvsparent

Post by wolvsparent »

I think that what Heads mean when they say:
"You must put us first if you want your child to come here"

is actually:
"you must order your schools in preference order NOT in the order you think you have the best chances for"

The difference between these statements is subtle, especially if DPs have not read the admissions booklet carefully, and thus leads them to the wrong conclusion. :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now