KE High open morning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Petitpois

KE High open morning

Post by Petitpois »

Astonishing school. Utterly blown away on every single dimension.

Guide was an incredibly articulate and confident Yr 7 girl. Handsworth Girls only thing we have seen near this.

Made Wolverhampton girls seem like an ordinary good school, which it is not. Theatre facilities outstandingly good.

I wish we had not gone really. Fees not possible atm and you come away thinking my god that really is another level.

Many pupil shared positive experience of the school and focused on how they built them up as a person rather than a narrower focus on results at other schools.

I am buying a lottery ticket and praying on the way home.
cooljsn

Re: KE High open morning

Post by cooljsn »

Somehow I didn't got the wow factor.
Yes pupil are confident no doubt about it
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

I don't think my daughter was your guide then as her family was from Solihull - and I wouldn't say she's that articulate!! I assume you're not in the assisted places income bracket then, as we are? Their scholarships are fairly small unfortunately but might be worth a try? We're only a few weeks in but so far so good - we would recommend the school.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Probably facilities were just very good. £12 k fees, food for thought
pickle123

Post by pickle123 »

Hi there,
Brand new poster, long time lurker. My DD is Year 7 now at CHGs. What you said about how KE High 'focused on how they built them up as a person' really resonated with me as this has been our experience at Camp Hill - it isn't something you really read about on this forum, but I have been really impressed so far at the rounded experience at CHG - the emphasis so far has been on common sense and independence - and the team building/bonding activities thus far have focused on this - it certainly didnt come across to me at open days at CHG, but now we are there it is a really strong and reassuring message. Just my two penny worth.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Desert or deluge income profile unhelpful, but will only try.

It's difficult to judge, some were saying they gave up ch.g because of that. So difficult to assess that based on limited evidence of open mornings. We must be talking only degrees of separation between them though
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Petitpois wrote:Astonishing school. Utterly blown away on every single dimension.

Guide was an incredibly articulate and confident Yr 7 girl. Handsworth Girls only thing we have seen near this.

Made Wolverhampton girls seem like an ordinary good school, which it is not. Theatre facilities outstandingly good.

I wish we had not gone really. Fees not possible atm and you come away thinking my god that really is another level.

Many pupil shared positive experience of the school and focused on how they built them up as a person rather than a narrower focus on results at other schools.

I am buying a lottery ticket and praying on the way home.
It's neighbour school's not too bad either!
Casey0507

Post by Casey0507 »

We attended the girls school today and were bowled over! Such incredible girls, staff and facilities!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Casey0507 wrote:We attended the girls school today and were bowled over! Such incredible girls, staff and facilities!
That's how I felt 10 years ago.

This year in my youngest dd's preparatory school only one girl went to KEHS on a scholarship in my eldest dds year 6 went 10 years ago.This year 5 boys had offers for KES but only one went and he didn't get any grammar school offers, the others all went to grammar schools.The one who went to KEHS was the oldest child in that family.The ones who refused KES offers had older brothers or sisters who had been to KEHS or KES. Unless you are going on a bursary and/or scholarship which is 50% at the boys and 12 1/2% at the girls, parents have to ask the question what am I getting at these two schools I couldn't get at a grammar?

A bright child will succeed in whatever environment you place them, the only question is will they be happy in that school.A school contributes a lot to a child's success and so do parents and the latter will remain the same whatever environment they are placed.If you are going to spend a £100,000 pounds over a 7 year period which is what a full fee paying place will cost you need to ask these questions.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

So I think that many of the preps with elocution lessons e.g bluecoat or ehs are training girls for that world. Parents know they are training them for that. Hence so many of them turning down CHG, etc

So I think parents know what they are paying for. The network, the etiquette. No one wants to say it but every one the of girls is bright enough to get the pocket full of GCSEs anywhere. Send them to a sandwell comp and they will not be the same end product at 16/18

The three questions you ask from an education are

1) what technical skills will be gained
2) what soft skills will be gained
3) what networks will be gained and doors opened.

I am overjoyed at the chance of a grammar. No one in my family went to university before me and no one on my side had ever had their DC get a grammar. So right now I am filling my boots with anything that comes my way.

Btw the most important influence in the next 7 years will be DD's peers. The ratio of time she will spend with them compared to parents with be at least 1:3, so don't ignore this, it will affect her success
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now