Thomas Telford Test Weekend/Parents Tour?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wolvsparent

Re: Thomas Telford Test Weekend/Parents Tour?

Post by wolvsparent »

It would have been nice to hear about that, from the teachers/head instead of on here. :?
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

I have a couple of work colleagues who have children who go to TT and a neighbour who's son joined in 6th form, all speak positively.
The only negative things I have heard are from people who's children didn't get offered a place!!
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

It's all realitive. I believe in first impressions and instinct. If I think a school won't suit my child, doesn't make a good impression, can't answer my questions to my satisfaction etc then it's off my list, regardless of how great it might be on paper. I am very fussy, and I do tend to listen to teachers/head while asking myself do I trust them? Can they answer questions well? Can they answer probing/slightly challenging questions well? Crucially can I work with them and do I feel they'd listen if I needed to raise an issue on behalf of my child? If the answer to that is no, then there's no point going any further. From what has been said by the OP I suspect I would have walked out and not looked back... What you describe would have turned me off straight away.

Choosing school preferences is a very personal journey. I would always trust my instinct and feelings rather than what's written about a school (Ofsted/results etc). Is there no opportunity to revisit the school? Phone call with person in charge of transitions etc? If there is and they can answer queries and understand concerns from the open weekend you might feel differently? I'm amazed that your child didn't get to look around it though - is there another chance for him to do that?
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

I think children only get to look around if offered a place!!
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

I've heard the reason for children not being able to have a tour of the school, is that they don't want them to be upset. Seeing all the amazing facilities and then not gaining entry.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Thumbsup wrote:I've heard the reason for children not being able to have a tour of the school, is that they don't want them to be upset. Seeing all the amazing facilities then not gaining entry.
The school's concern is touching / paternalism is mind-boggling. Take your pick?

Our catchment primary took a similar attitude back when we were looking at schools for DS1 (although to be fair, it was an age rather than stage in process thing, just DS1 wasn't 4 until after offer day, let alone the application cut-off). When we were eventually allowed to look round, we decided to send him to one of the schools which had welcomed the parents of prospective entrants in with open arms, when they first enquired about a place.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
wolvsparent

Post by wolvsparent »

A collegue whose DD goes to the school seems to think we and DS would get a comprehensive tour if we gained a place. So not till March!!!

As for the children being upset by seeing all the "amazing" facilities and not gaining entry, that may have been the case 10 years ago, but I saw nothing our two local comps don't have, with the exception of their sports department, which is very good, if that is an area of interest.

Both of the Grammars we went around and from what I gather those in Birmingham have thousands of parents wanting places and yet they happily open their doors, even though most DC's will not gain a place.

We had to fill in the application for TT before we had the Grammar results back, otherwise probably would not have bothered. We asked DS if he minded taking the test so we could have a look around, as the school only lets you in when the DC's are doing the test. Always good to have a backup we thought!

At least we know now, but still very puzzled by it all. As MidlandsMom said I just didn't get the feeling I could "work with them and feel they'd listen if I needed to raise an issue on behalf of my child?"

I'm sure once you're there they would care a lot; wouldn't want those GCSE stats falling! :wink:
finners

Post by finners »

I went at the weekend & all the comments made re it being a strange process is true, empty building devoid of staff, shown around by sixth formers (who are being paid to do this) & Sir Kevin does not even show up.

The section process is supposedly random but in truth is not, he bases it on the childs year 5 report, their attendance in Yr 5 & the exam results, then the kids go onto 8 bands & he selects kids from each band, that is how one parent told me he had 3 kids in the school I/e great 5 data & good exam results. He also takes kids for each catchment area to spread the intake out & promote TT further

My daughter said the exam was far easier than the 11+ (can you still call it that) that she took for QM, & her Yr 5 data is good so she should have a strong chance

I also noted lots of promotional data for Madley Academy where his wife Lady S is the head (keep it in the family) I/e if you cant go her, go there!

Took away a good school which delivers great results but no idea if it an environment my daughter would thrive in, as didn't meet any staff

One saving grace is it an independent pick so it does not take a space up on my CAF form
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

Gosh ..... Really? Sixth form students get paid for doing the tours?!!! Our tour mentioned they got free lunch but that's all she divulged! I thought they did it as goodwill.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Thumbsup wrote:Gosh ..... Really? Sixth form students get paid for doing the tours?!!! Our tour mentioned they got free lunch but that's all she divulged! I thought they did it as goodwill.
A couple of years ago, DS1was 'paid' a £15 Amazon voucher for helping out on 11+ day at his school. It did involve being there at about 7.30am on a Saturday, so I guess the head thought it only fair to offer something. Rumour had it that the going rate at a rival establishment was £10 more, though :shock: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx