re test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

Hi Moseley mum I fully agree with you... are we mssing something here in B'ham??? I'm afraid I haven't much to add at the moment as my kids have both yet to sit their 11+. ..... just hoping to get a "feel" for what's to come by lurking. The last test was today... QE in Walsall so perhaps some fellow Brummies will now return home and begin posting.. if they're not too fatigued by their recent experiences. We'll see....
moseley mum

retest

Post by moseley mum »

Hello!!! anyone out there!

please come and chat before they take fellow guest and myself off to rehab
HodgeHillDad

Post by HodgeHillDad »

Hi Moseley Mom
Glad I'm not the only one wondering where everyone has gone!
I initially thought parents were staying quiet untill the resits were done so as not to give any advantage but now wondering if I am alone in thinking about the 11+ every day!!!
At least Son seems to have forgotten about it and gone back to normal (maybe Christmas is a good distraction?)
moseley mum

retest

Post by moseley mum »

hi Hodgehill Dad
Glad to see I am not alone in this wilderness.

You are quite right , my son has completley forgotten about exams and is cruising along quite happil , looking forward to christmas and all the excesses that it brings. bearing in mind he has just had a birthday aswell.

Maybe it is just us who are thinking about what happened on the day?, how others got on?, what march will bring.?..... i could go on and on!!!

Spoken to some parents , and they all say same thing... different from last year.

hope to hear from the madding crowd soon
fm

Post by fm »

Below is a rough version of what was in this year's exam according to my pupils. Maybe others can improve on it.

Comprehension: Boy escaping from palace guards. 12 Questions. Multiple Choice. Sats level 5 readers found easy, level 4 considered hard.

Proofreading: Spelling, punctuation (no speech again), English grammar. Passage was hard but mistakes weren't. It was not the basis of a comprehension this year.

Non-verbal: Several 3d models of cubes (think Lego) given at top of page. Then list of 2d views. Had to say from which 3d model the 2d view came. 20 questions.

Maths: Data interpretatoion. Routes, timetables. Speed/time problems.Money problems. Fraction problems. Test their ability to read an interpret information. 25 mins approx. 18 questions with subsections to most. Very few of my pupils finished this year.

Break

Vocabulary: 56 words. 12 minutes. So much easier on time. Don't know if it was easier words. Several of my pupils did claim to know at least half the words (which is more than other years) but I did target this area more thoroughly this year. Sample words: altitude (back in from 3years ago), trivial,emerge, pigment, covet, antiquity, tranquil, drought, passive, incision, bewildered, device.

Missing Word: Several passages with omitted words. Choice of 3 to fill in . Best fit in context. 10 words per passage and 7 passages. 13 minutes. Words not complex e.g. choose from 'air, summit or peak' but close in meaning. Varied passages including one from Northern Lights by Philip Pullman so that will give you an idea of level.

Quick maths: This was reintroduced, having been taken out last year. 12minutes. Anything from 20 to 50 questions according to my pupils. I would appreciate if anyone knows this for definite and can pass it on. At a guess I think it was 40. Fractions, ordering fractions, decimals,algebra, powers off. Most children found impossible to finish. Very demanding on time but suited to good arithmeticians.

Non -verbal: 6 hexagons arranged around a central hexagon. A pattern connecting all, with a ? on one blank one. Select the most appropriate to replace the blank from a choice of I don't know how many. 12 minutes. 20 questions. All seemed to finish and my 'naturals' found it relatively easy.

I have to emphasise that this is not going to be a wholly accurate description of the exam. Basically I got 8 different descriptions of the exam and based timings on the most frequently appearing time.
My best advice to people targeting KE next year would be to stay flexible. By all means tutor towards the components above but do not expect an exam which replicates this. Above all, as well as doing formal work in maths, non-verbal and English, the best practice your child can do for this exam is read, read and read some more. The best thing you can do is listen to them, read to them, create an environment that encourages reading.
From personal experience,I wish I had done less maths and non-verbal, and more reading with my child. It is certainly not something you can expect a tutor to address in an hour a week.
Good luck to this year's entrants and any more information from last year's would be appreicated.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Thank you, FM, for very kindly sharing your info with us. I consider it very generous of you. My daughter will sit the KE exam next Nov. and your input is valuable to us.

I wish your daughter and tutees success in this year's exam. Many thanks again
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now