Posting Birmingham Scores: Please read!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DGM

Re: Posting Birmingham Scores: Please read!

Post by DGM »

Pp I find that you write a great deal that is good sense. Increasingly so, actually!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

petitspois wrote:I personally don't mind people posting the big scores. It makes no difference
It does makes a difference to other people, and that is what we try to account for.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Agreed, Sally Anne. After you have been on here a few years, to see those one time posters, popping on to say my dd got 253...does she have a chance at CHB, is really frustrating, when someone who has contributed for a long time, sharing their "journey" and the trials and tribulations may be worrying, genuinely about a score of 203 and whether they will get a place at all.

Personally, I think it is really very sad when someone has to come on here and post for the first time to complete strangers about a very high score. Very sad that they don't have real family and friends to share the delight and seems to add weight to the fact that they are just in it to boast.

Whilst I have some sympathy for long time contributors wanting to share their news, good and bad, I still think it is unnecessary for anyone to post on the open forum the exact score, when they have scored 250+ and there is nothing to stop them sharing the real score by PM if necessary.

We must remember that the forum attracts people who are more likely to have "bought" into the process fully and are, therefore, more likely to score above average...Scores posted are rarely below 200 - by limiting very high scores to a simple 250+ the mods are trying to continue to encourage those other contributors, who score average or below, who may have other children coming through.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

In some areas scores are needed to work out whether DC stands a chance of getting a place. Some people get a letter and it will say you have such and such a score/rank and not a lot else. People get confused and need confirmation of whether XX score/rank will get them a place at desired school, or if they'll have to wait it out or if there is pretty much zilch chance. PP you know that yourself from the Birmingham threads. If the forum bans scores how can those posters be given advice. This is a forum designed to help people.

I really don't get the point you are trying to make?

Personally I have been on all sides of the fence and I truly couldn't care if someone feels an over riding desire to brag to complete strangers about a high score their DC receive but if others do and some of them have been using this site for many years giving help and advice then frankly a little diplomacy goes a long way. I do know that in the areas where scores are allowed it can be a little tedious trawling through the one off boasts trying to find someone who does need some help and advice. I also suspect that those people who do need the help and advice then become reluctant to post for fear of spoiling everyones party. Did feel a bit like that myself this year and that was in an area where scores are not posted.

Crossed with KCG
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

The point I am trying to make is that a better rule would be either "no scores at all" or "post what you like".

I am in deference here. I simply wanted to point to the fact that an accepted post in Birmingham of 249 - attracts no moral judgement and is considered sensitive (or within the bounds of sensitivity)

Whereas 251 is considered the opposite. I am absolutely understand that you guys have to try and find the optimal set of rules that looks after everybody and indeed encourages under represented groups to feel okay to take part. However I do reiterate the evidence, that the majority of posters are posting scores well within the safe zone for a GS place in Birmingham. 249 will get you anything you want, pretty much.

If the objective is to be considerate of others , the rule does not seem to me to meet that end. But if you guys are clear that the evidence you see from your end is that is it the best rule configuration, then I accept that judgement, even if I do so, sort of scratching my head a bit.

I also thank you and appreciate you guys for the work you put in, to keep this as a valuable resource for all.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I expect a line has to be drawn somewhere and 250 is a nice round number. Don't the cut offs change, they used to in Gloucs, so there has to be some room for manœuvre.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Sorry. I have missed the continuance of this thread as just got back from a concert. Seems like a futile exercise even questioning why all scores can't be published.
Dadybear

Post by Dadybear »

I think most of you dp need to get tuition if you do not get this thread :lol:

How does it help anyone if you come on once & say my dc got over 240 your in a minority of 100 out of 5400 if you look at the cut offs on the threat below you will see your guaranteed a place!

The other 5300 dp are going threw a very nervous time will they get a place how should they fill in caf how does waiting list wrk! :(

We cannot help dp with a score over 240 because they don't need it! As the meerkat would say simples!
Please think before you reply at these sensitive times! :oops:
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Dadybear wrote:I think most of you dp need to get tuition if you do not get this thread :lol:

How does it help anyone if you come on once & say my dc got over 240 your in a minority of 100 out of 5400 if you look at the cut offs on the threat below you will see your guaranteed a place!

The other 5300 dp are going threw a very nervous time will they get a place how should they fill in caf how does waiting list wrk! :(

We cannot help dp with a score over 240 because they don't need it! As the meerkat would say simples!
Please think before you reply at these sensitive times! :oops:
Daddybear, What utter @&£#%<€$#. Moderators, draw your own conclusions as to what I meant.

The 11 plus is meritocracy in motion. Off course you will have winners and losers. I just wished to see how my dc performed against the whole cohort. This concern for the hurt feelings of those with non-pass scores scores is patronising to them, and not laudable at all. I dare say most want to know the score but the self righteous and officious pc brigade make it difficult.

I will go to plan B and get the info via an FOI request.

No point even trying to continue this point any further.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I think that people with children who've scored higher do often need help Dadybear. There is a wealth of advice on here to do with travelling, extra curricular activities etc that all parents making school decisions want help with. The thing that nobody likes is people being insensitive and unaware that their dilemma may be a less gut wrenching one than one that others have.

If the moderators have decided that certain scores should not be posted in full we should all respect that. I just hope the fly by night posters with huge scores read the sticky!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now