Posting Birmingham Scores: Please read!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Optimist

Re: Posting Birmingham Scores: Please read!

Post by Optimist »

Turtlegirl. Posters have many reasons for wanting to know scores. Gloating might be one of many. Those who gloat will be persona non grata and forgotten soon enough. Those who did not get the desired scores will have more to worry about than hearing from the gloaters. In any case it is good life lesson to know that it is not all roses and it is about how you progress forward after a setback. We got a demoralisingly low score for the Walsall exam but I took vicarious comfort from those who obtained much better scores. And yes I would liked to have seen scores above 350 published.
Dadybear

Post by Dadybear »

To turtlegirl why would anyone need to know travel arrangements when their dc has scored over 240 they can choose any grammar they like the closest or the furthest!

To optimist I ain't gonna reply & go down to your level!!! you want to know were your dc finished compared to other coherts ain't you happy that your child passed or not :oops:

What has this world come to :oops:

Playing on peoples emotions just plain silly :oops:
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

We have tried to be good parents to our children and have tried to teach them good manners and behaviour.One of those good manners is not to boast.Should I be allowed to boast on their behalf and what does that say about us and our parenting skills?

I recognise in any year for a child who is successful in their 11 plus exams there are at least 4 or 5 others who are not going to be successful.If I can in some small way not add to their woes why not take that course of action?

I just don't think its good manners to post high scores when they don't add anything to the debate.Sorry thats just how I see things.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Dadybear wrote:To turtlegirl why would anyone need to know travel arrangements when their dc has scored over 240 they can choose any grammar they like the closest or the furthest!

To optimist I ain't gonna reply & go down to your level!!! you want to know were your dc finished compared to other coherts ain't you happy that your child passed or not :oops:

Funny that. You did reply. As opposed to going down to my level, I am sure we do not know enough about each other's values to answer that one.

Ps, notice you are a nascent poster - only 19 posts old. I have been on this forum since 2007, and with a clean record so I can't really be all bad, can I!
Last edited by Optimist on Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MSD

Post by MSD »

I am in complete agreement with Optimist and PP.

Do you really think a first time poster will be reading Sally Anne's post before posting a big score. Not really!

This post is really intended for people who have been regular posters on this site and we must not discourage them from posting the actual score their DC achieved, whether high or low. If a DP does not like the look of a high score just ignore that post. I don't understand what the issue is? We are all happy to support low scorers and provide words of wisdom, but as soon as we see a really high score we shy away from congratulating the child and parents on all their hard work. Doesn't add up for me I am afraid :(
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

There are so many different opinions on this.
Personally I would like to see the high scores - my DD2 got 213 last year and scraped in off wait list end of July, but I would still be pleased for those who scored higher.
HOWEVER, this is just my opinion. There is a reason there are moderators and we should all respect the rules. As I can see others have different opinions, and I agree that 250+ and there is no question of whether you are getting your school of choice or not, then posting higher scores as 250+ seems very sensible.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

quasimodo wrote:We have tried to be good parents to our children and have tried to teach them good manners and behaviour.One of those good manners is not to boast.Should I be allowed to boast on their behalf and what does that say about us and our parenting skills?

I recognise in any year for a child who is successful in their 11 plus exams there are at least 4 or 5 others who are not going to be successful.If I can in some small way not add to their woes why not take that course of action?

I just don't think its good manners to post high scores when they don't add anything to the debate.Sorry thats just how I see things.
Posting high scores is only boasting where the poster is gloating. It happens, but to a negligible degree.

I read a laughable edict, by a mod on the Bucks forum, not to to open envelope scores in the playground and wail about high scores, in case it offends those with non pass scores. That level of intrusiveness, interfering and nannying is beyond laughable. People are generally more resilient than we think.

My time is up on the forum, my choice or not. I certainly did not envisage a Wagner type ending on the topic of full disclosure of scores!!!
Last edited by Optimist on Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Dadybear wrote:To turtlegirl why would anyone need to know travel arrangements when their dc has scored over 240 they can choose any grammar they like the closest or the furthest!

DadyBear - How is posting of actual score, high or low, playing with people's emotions? I wonder why the moderators have not advised on reporting low scores as 210-, but we get reminded all the time that high scores must be reported as 250+
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This argument is now going around in circles and not going anywhere.

Sally-Anne has stated what we as moderators have agreed. The forum has rules for a reason. When you register you agree to abide by the forum rules.

I am now locking this thread.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now