Birmingham Last scores in and Waiting list score offers 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

um

Birmingham Last scores in and Waiting list score offers 2015

Post by um »

CUT OFF SCORES 2015

For 2015 entry the score of the last child to gain entry to each of the Grammar Schools in Birmingham as of 1st March 2015 is listed below:

Bishop Vesey's Grammar School 219 (pupil premium not applicable)
Handsworth Grammar School 207 (pupil premium not applicable)
King Edward VI Aston School 224 (207 pupil premium)
King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys 243 (219 pupil premium)
King Edward VI Five Ways School 232 (206 pupil premium)
King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Girls 231 (210 pupil premium)
King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls 219 (209 pupil premium)
Sutton Coldfield Grammar School for Girls 215 (pupil premium not applicable)

The KE schools usually 'over offer' to allow for the fact that some pupils will choose to attend Independent Schools.

However in 2015, they did not over-offer due to the wish to keep the places offered at (where possible) 20% Pupil premium pupils.
Therefore, following offer day, last-scores in dropped more quickly than had previously been the case.

From information provided by parents, we understand that the following scores were offered (for non-pupil premium children) from the waiting lists.
Not all children on these scores may have been offered a place (as distance criteria is used where children have the same score).
Lower scores than these may have been offered - but these scores were confirmed by parents:

Bishop Vesey's Grammar School 215
Handsworth Grammar School 203
King Edward VI Aston School 218
King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys 236
King Edward VI Five Ways School 226
King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Girls 225
King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls 216
Sutton Coldfield Grammar School for Girls 212
Amarstone

Re: Birmingham Last scores in and Waiting list score offers

Post by Amarstone »

Hi Um,

Just for info, my dd gained a place at CHG with 225 from the waiting list. This was in July.
um

Post by um »

Thank you - will edit :D
Dadybear

Post by Dadybear »

Hi um

Is 204 for hgs confirmed mate
um

Post by um »

These have been confirmed by parents, not the FO.

If you want a definite and certain answer, I would call Handsworth Grammar or the FO to ask them what the final waiting-list score was for Handsworth Grammar last year - if you do that, please let us know :D
Ambareen

Post by Ambareen »

Hi um my son has got 224 but I don't know whether he can get in KEA or not. :roll:
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Amarstone wrote:Hi Um,

Just for info, my dd gained a place at CHG with 225 from the waiting list. This was in July.
One of the lovely people who helped the wait list move so we could get Scgsg end of July. Thank you!
um

Post by um »

Ambareen wrote:Hi um my son has got 224 but I don't know whether he can get in KEA or not. :roll:
Nobody can say for certain until March but it does seem highly likely.

The last score in last year was 224. That was a big jump from 214 the previous year. It is statistically unlikely to make another big jump.
As you can see, offers were made from the waiting list to 218.

If my child had a score of 224 I'd be pretty confident of a place. Not necessarily on 1 March, but likely from the waiting list.

I assume that you might also want to consider Bishop Vesey as a second choice 'in case'?
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

um wrote:These have been confirmed by parents, not the FO.

If you want a definite and certain answer, I would call Handsworth Grammar or the FO to ask them what the final waiting-list score was for Handsworth Grammar last year - if you do that, please let us know :D
I didn't think to call the school! Will attempt on Monday and update accordingly on here.

My DS scored 202. Is it worth still putting Handsworth on CAF? I was thinking to put as 3rd preference? (206/207 cut off last year).

Scored 319 on Walsall test. So will put AGS & QMGS 1 & 2.

I think 319 was the cut off last year for both schools. QMGS seems more promising for us, as cut off is expected to drop further (Head guessed 310....but depends on how many apply?). Will then add two local comprehensive schools as preference 4 & 5.

Any advice/comments will be greatly appreciated.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

See info below posted by DC1 on a separate thread. NO-ONE will know cut offs, PAN or Over PAN for 2016 yet. However if your scores are borderline above or below last years cut off, the numbers below give you a sense of how the battle for a place plays out. These numbers can and indeed will change this year, so if you think things will be massively different this year ignore them.

If you think they will be broadly similar, the depth of the info combined with you own knowledge of how near you are to your preferred school, plus the final offers from waiting list e.g. I think it was 215 for KEHG, should help you make an informed decision about ordering your CAF preferences.

So if you had a hypothetical score of 214 last year and you wanted say KEHG and you were living in Ivy Road Handsworth, you know you would have been likely number 1 out of the 72 who were waiting for a place at that score (being a hundred yards or so from the school). In this scenario you still would not have got a place because the last place offered appears to have been 215, for KEHGS.

I find the KEFW example interesting because you can see several hundred sitting in the queue between 232 and 226, which according to the first post in this thread was the last number score offered (and would have been to a DC living closest to KEFW), so there were at least 50 ish at least on 226 that likely did not get an offer, but look how many shifted out the way for that DC who waited and eventually got a spot

Some people at or around the 216/7 mark are holding out are holding out for places at KEFW. They may be right and the numbers could shift markedly. If you have this list and you are borderline it at least gives you a sense of how much things have to shift for you to get a place.

This put some meat on the bones of the varied advice given to those asking the borderline type questions, will my DD get a place with this score. Hope it helps but remember its all probabilities and demographics at the end of the day

To note the CHB cut off on 1/3 was 243, so there must have been a lot of clarification for the waiting list to be at 238 by 4/3. However it did not appear to drop a great deal from there eventually settling at 236.

Waiting list status 04/03/2015

CHG
228 (waiting list 20)
226 (waiting list 37)
225 (waiting list 41)
224 (waiting list 51)
220 (waiting list 80)

CHB
238 (waiting list 39)
236 (waiting list 49)

KEHG
219 (waiting list 9)