11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
booellesmum

Re: Should we commute?

Post by booellesmum »

Would love to know what you decide!
happymom1

Post by happymom1 »

booellesmum wrote:I know nothing about CHG but I did go to SCGSG and both DDs are there. They are very happy with their choice. Whenever I go the girls there seem happy, and there is a great pastoral system if there are any problems. I don't know how results compare but SCGSG always seem to do very well when the results are published.
Could you have a last minute visit to each school to help you decide? At the end of the day go with where you think your DD would be happiest.
Thanks a lot BM. Yeah we did like SCGSG. A good pastoral system does count on those sad days.
happymom1

Post by happymom1 »

um wrote:That is a long commute through 7 years and 7 winters and dark evenings.
If you have the choice (as you do) and can avoid it then personally as a parent that's what I'd do.
SCGS is an excellent school and your dd will have more time to rest and complete homework and revision.
Thanks a lot um. Really appreciate your input. Scgdg for us then :)
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Good choice, you won't be disappointed!
happymom1

Post by happymom1 »

nervousmom wrote:I know nothing of these two schools, but would assume they are both very good.

This being the case, I would choose the closer one.

My DS commutes to FW. During years 7 & 8 the journey was approx 40-45 mins each way and it took him a long time to get used to it.

They've changed the route this year, which has made the journey approx 10-15 minutes shorter each way, which is much better and means he gets more time at home.

He likes the bus now and enjoys chatting to his friends.

However, during the summer the journey doesn't seem to bad, but on a cold, dark & wet wintry evening the journey is not so pleasant.

This is why I'd go for the closest.
Thanks a lot NM. I agree. Winter commute is more difficult. Hope your ds stays happy and excel at such a good school
happymom1

Post by happymom1 »

booellesmum wrote:Good choice, you won't be disappointed!
:) thanks a lot. Maybe we'll meet there someday :wink: .....Love you guys
Three2go

Post by Three2go »

hi i have the exact dilemma as you with me being in handsworth with KEHG 10 min walk away and camp hill being the furthest away. i think my doubt about not choosing camp hill is the parents on this site would only talk about camp hill, kehs or five way as if they are the best school, sure they say handsworth is a great school but as soon as their dds score high enough for camp hill it goes straight to the top of their list and I am left feeling I left my dd down for not considering the commute, but when I think about siting on a bus for a hour or more twice a day for a year it a big fat no for me sure those school got better facilities (swimming pool my girl love swimming ) better location but the commute?
in saying so if I live equal distance away from each school I choose camp hill I guess I follow the herd as well :lol:
Green Girl

Post by Green Girl »

Three2go wrote:hi i have the exact dilemma as you with me being in handsworth with KEHG 10 min walk away and camp hill being the furthest away. i think my doubt about not choosing camp hill is the parents on this site would only talk about camp hill, kehs or five way as if they are the best school, sure they say handsworth is a great school but as soon as their dds score high enough for camp hill it goes straight to the top of their list and I am left feeling I left my dd down for not considering the commute, but when I think about siting on a bus for a hour or more twice a day for a year it a big fat no for me sure those school got better facilities (swimming pool my girl love swimming ) better location but the commute?
in saying so if I live equal distance away from each school I choose camp hill I guess I follow the herd as well :lol:
I have a daughter at Handsworth and another who I hope will start there in September. It's a fantastic school and the facilities are fabulous - great library, amazing new science labs. No pool but I don't know how much swimming time CHG get and it's easy to swim at weekends. No way I'd travel anywhere else with that a 10 min walk away.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Three2go wrote:hi i have the exact dilemma as you with me being in handsworth with KEHG 10 min walk away and camp hill being the furthest away. i think my doubt about not choosing camp hill is the parents on this site would only talk about camp hill, kehs or five way as if they are the best school, sure they say handsworth is a great school but as soon as their dds score high enough for camp hill it goes straight to the top of their list and I am left feeling I left my dd down for not considering the commute, but when I think about siting on a bus for a hour or more twice a day for a year it a big fat no for me sure those school got better facilities (swimming pool my girl love swimming ) better location but the commute?
If my DS could walk to school that would have been fantastic. You're lucky that you have a good school in walking distance.
Tonythetiger

Post by Tonythetiger »

I can understand your dilemma but honestly if we were 10 min walk away from a school as good as KEHG it would be a no brainer for us. In actual fact, although it has worked out as KEHG being our option due to score (221), that would have been our first choice taking distance out of the equation. Our actual first choice originally was Five Ways as we're pretty close to there (but still a bus ride, not a 10 min walk!), and second choice Camp Hill, again due to distance but our personal preference was always Handsworth. Camp Hill and Handsworth are both great schools. If I had the option I would always go for the closer one but whatever you decide you will not be doing your daughter a disservice by sending her to Handsworth.

Good luck with your decision making! :)