KEHS exam suppprt.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mike1880

Re: KEHS exam suppprt.

Post by mike1880 »

Y11 on an assisted place here; the only expensive trip so far was the GCSE/A-level Art trip and we didn't need to do that but chose to. There are some outrageously expensive things available (if you search the forum you'll find me fulminating about the PE trip to Cozumel) but you don't have to do any of them, most people don't and there is no "everyone else is going" pressure. Yes, it's a very middle class school (the upper classes send their kids elsewhere) and some people there have a lot of money, but there are plenty of "ordinary" people who haven't, and the school seems to operate mostly on the assumption that they haven't (PE department excepted :evil: ).
Petitpois wrote:Where do you think the accents come from
As I've posted elsewhere, it's an outcome not an entry requirement. You have to be mentally prepared for your daughter to become posh... :) .

As far as preparation is concerned I'd recommend trying the problem maths questions from some independent school maths papers (whatever you can find that comes with answers, but if you pick Manchester Grammar do that one last - it's very hard) because the style is a bit different to the kind of thing they meet in a state school. It's not essential but it will make the maths papers a lot easier.
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

I thought PP's comment about the guides at KEHS was really interesting as we had the opposite experience: we were looking round with our younger daughter and our eldest daughter (who is at CHG and was in year 8 at the time) came along too. The two girls who were showing us round were year 7 and asked my eldest where she went to school. When she told them, they were very impressed and both said they would have loved to have gone there but didn't get in! I think this might have subliminally influenced our final decision!

I know quite a few girls and boys who have not secured grammar school places but got into KES/ KEHS.

My eldest thought the exam was much easier then the 11 plus, particularly the maths.

The main difference is that they need to to complete an extended piece of writing. DD1 had to continue a story.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Amarstone wrote:I thought PP's comment about the guides at KEHS was really interesting as we had the opposite experience: .
Amarstone the guide was saying that she had a place at CHG but declined it partly, because her relative had, had a really poor experience at CHG, from a pastoral perspective. She was at pains to say how much she felt comfortable at KEHS and described in some detail the things they do to ensure all girls are treated equally and brought up to the same level in year 7.

I was more interested in the fact that someone who had done at least a year at CHG would make a concious decision to leave CHG and start KEHS, with all that entails. I was also PM quite independently as to how poor CHG was from a pastoral perspective, so its made me thinks big time.

I don't think our comments are at odds with each other, I think they might be describing two different things.

In terms of advice I would second that point about the Manchester Grammar papers. They are rock hard. What I do have is a range of past papers from across the spectrum of Indie schools "11+" and they go from the insanely easy DD scored 100% on them in year 5, to MGS paper where DD scored only 60% on a timed maths paper in Year 5. I would suggest that focus on showing workings neatly and clearly might be something to do for maths. For English, its a different ball game to CEM as I have posted elsewhere.

In terms of anyone who thinks they are too working class or the wrong colour or any other characteristic, please don't rule yourself out have a go. We have a contact and they are basically skint Jamaican's and they have got their kid in, and are happy enough. All I was saying about the accent is that you don't need it to get in, but it comes from the tutoring peer or other.

Have a shot and aim for the stars whoever you are, you might only make the moon, but you will have tried.
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

Petitpois wrote:
Amarstone wrote:I thought PP's comment about the guides at KEHS was really interesting as we had the opposite experience: .

I don't think our comments are at odds with each other, I think they might be describing two different things.
I agree -I just find it interesting that prospective parents can have such different experiences on open days. If we had had your guides, we might have made a different decision!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I suspect there's a persistent undercurrent of rumour about pastoral care at most selective schools. I've heard dark mutterings about KEHS, CHG and Five Ways; probably the only reason I haven't heard about the others is because they've never come up in conversation. There's probably an element of envy involved in some cases.

All I can say with certainty is that our experience at KEHS has been beyond expectations (so far - I'm not sure it's wise to take anything for granted with pastoral care). More contentiously, based on our experience at CHB I would hazard that we wouldn't have had such a positive experience at CHG simply because bigger classes and tighter resources make it just plain harder for staff to see problems building and tackle them before they go anywhere. I don't think many CHG parents would agree with me about that.
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

Does anyone know where I can get the form to register for KEHS test as the one I received through the post was binned, I didn't consider it as an option for us back then. I was hoping I could download it from their website but don't seem to find it.
"To show me is far better than to lecture everyday.
To lead me is far greater than to just point out the way.
So if you tell me everything then I shall understand,
But rapid streams of words cannot compete with deed of hand[...]"
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

http://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk/parents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could try contacting the foundation office
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

It's on the KEHS website under admissions / application forms.
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

crazycrofter wrote:It's on the KEHS website under admissions / application forms.
thanks to you I found it
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

Does anyone know what happens after posting of application form? Do they acknowledge its receipt in any way at all? when do they send out info with test arrangements?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now