Advise for parents on comp schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Turtlegirl

Re: Advise for parents on comp schools

Post by Turtlegirl »

Shirelands Academy in Smethwick and George Salter Academy at the Carters Green end of West Brom are both Ofsted Outstanding.

We have a friend who just finished at Holly Lodge. She's now at Leicester Uni.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Turtlegirl wrote:Shirelands Academy in Smethwick and George Salter Academy at the Carters Green end of West Brom are both Ofsted Outstanding.

Shireland got 60% 5 gcses in 2014 when they were outstanding. 60% on free school meals and you can see why ofsted said they were doing nicely. Since then they have dropped down to 44%
slimchance

Post by slimchance »

From the schools I have visited comp and grammar I would happily send my dd to

Streetly
Barr Beacon
Plantsbrook
Arthur Terry
SCGS
WHGS
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

Petitpois wrote:
Turtlegirl wrote:Shirelands Academy in Smethwick and George Salter Academy at the Carters Green end of West Brom are both Ofsted Outstanding.

Shireland got 60% 5 gcses in 2014 when they were outstanding. 60% on free school meals and you can see why ofsted said they were doing nicely. Since then they have dropped down to 44%
Completely agree about shireland and so is George salter ..
The ofsted outstanding report can mislead if you don't read in detail
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

slimchance wrote:From the schools I have visited comp and grammar I would happily send my dd to

Streetly
Barr Beacon
Plantsbrook
Arthur Terry
SCGS
WHGS

Yes they are all brilliant schools which shows it's not only grammar schools but there are other options too..
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

quasimodo wrote:
ABJ wrote:
booellesmum wrote:The comps on our CAF last year were :

Arthur Terry
Plantsbrook
Fairfax

I actually prefer Fairfax to Plantsbrook but went the other way round for ease of travel.

Streetly Academy also seems really good and DDs friend is having a great time there.
Yes streetly is a good school too.
Know couple of girls who after GCSE from Scgs went to streetly for sixth form .
I have heard parents say good things about Arthur Terry and Fairfax not heard much on Plantbrook.

To say girls have left SCGSG gives the inference reasons were academic.

You can leave a school at sixth form for many reasons if e.g your child is unhappy,to move to a school closer to home,if fee paying for financial reasons or to better position your child for University against the grade offers which may be made.

Streetly is one of the better comprehensives in the Walsall area but nowhere near SCGSG.
To say streetly is noway near SCGS is bit unfair to say ... It's again down to personal choice and the girls who left Scgs for streetly didn't speak extraordinary for Scgs but again just because couple of children don't like or like will not make school good or bad !!!
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I have always contrasted Lordswoods Boys with the Grammars, and many will conclude that to be pointless. Looking at the Shireland example and knowing the catchment around Cape hill, compared with Lordswoods City road catchment (they are closer than you might think if you know the area)...............anyone can see that 10% GCSE's at Lordswood Vs 60% at Shireland must represent an abrogation / neglect of responsibility.

In contrast I cannot see why staff at Shireland we not given huge big bonuses for that year.

Yes comps can succeed even in trying circumstances and it is nice to see an example of Ofsted being objective and giving outstanding to Shireland, even though they were no where near the 100%.
Tracy41

Post by Tracy41 »

St Pauls Catholic school for girls,

It is in Edgbaston but takes catholic girls from all over Birmingham, Solihull and Redditch,

Came in the top 4% nationally for GCSE results
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

Tracy41 wrote:St Pauls Catholic school for girls,

It is in Edgbaston but takes catholic girls from all over Birmingham, Solihull and Redditch,

Came in the top 4% nationally for GCSE results
Yes that's a good school .. They do take certain number of non Catholic girls too every year but you have to be within a mile radius as the competition to get a place is immense
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I have direct experience of this school. It is good and gets good results.

Look at the weakness of the English Bacc. Yes 80% GCSE is great, but below 40 on the Bacc.

My concern would be on the pastoral side. They were very difficult to deal with if the child is high demand or in difficulties, easier to chuck out and get rid of problem, rather than support and take blow to league tables, although you could say that about many. Hopefully now a lot better.

Flip side if you child is fine, they will flourish. Amazing how many have been on the road to Damascus in the year before application.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now