Handsworth Grammar help please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
happydays1

Re: Handsworth Grammar help please

Post by happydays1 »

Thanks all we are going to view tomorrow so we will have a clearer picture then. I will let you know our thoughts
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Many kids at comps can and do go on to great things. The difficulty we all face is trying to make a reasoned judgement on the best info we have, that why you need to treat stats with care and use them in context.

Look at Shireland with 44% getting 5 A-C's - there is a case to say the teachers there are better than those at Handsworth Grammar boys, because they are solving and eradicating significantly more barriers to children's success. In some ways you could say they are more than outstanding, even if the pass rate fell to 44% this year

Where I see the figures like the 48% quoted above, I immediately think about the 52%, and whether they will impact my DD's chance of success. I know many say don't worry, your child can stay away from these kids in the playground and will do well wherever they go. I am more nervy than that.
Nard

Post by Nard »

I agree it needs to be viewed if possible. We visited - impressive head, great academic results. But we didn't feel it was the right place. Things we didn't like were: boys travel to sports facilities outside of school; feels like you are in a fortress; school day finishes at 2.30 so boys can come out before other local schools finish. Some people thought some of those aspects were positive - so it really depends on you. Good luck with decision![/quote]

Just a couple of points to clarify on HGS. The school day actually finishes at 2.55 not 2.30.

I think there is a lot of snobbish attitude regarding HGS which I think comes from a few different things. Firstly as the cut off score to gain entry is lower than other grammars it is viewed as being a back up for many if they don't gain entry into other "prestigious" grammars. It is classed as being second rate and maybe on par with better comprehensives in and around Birmingham.

The other factor which most people wont admit to but puts off some people is the ethnic mix that goes to the school. It is a case of spot the "white kid".

My son has just started Year 7 and I have to admit it wasn't our first choice but I haven't had any complaints so far with regard to teaching or other pupils at the school.

I hope I haven't offended anyone but just felt I had to speak up.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

I believe KEA you have to travel to the sports facilities as well?
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Nard wrote: It is classed as being second rate and maybe on par with better comprehensives in and around Birmingham.

The other factor which most people wont admit to but puts off some people is the ethnic mix that goes to the school. It is a case of spot the "white kid".

According to 2014 admissions data there were 5 "white" kids in the school. That's a significant change from the 1980's when I used to ramp around those parts.

So where are "white" kids in the KE Grammar system?

Handsworth Boys (0.5%)
KEA (29.7%)
KEHGS (30%)
CHB (42%)
KECHG (42.8%)
SGGS (42.9%)
BV (60.4%)
KEFW (61%)

When you use reference spot the white kid, I am uncertain what your saying. What it is that your speaking up about?? Are you suggesting the HGS is a complete outlier in terms of the admission of white kids. I would not conclude that as there are other schools in Birmingham with similarly low numbers of white kids.

The only thing I can conclude is that the grammars seem fairly diverse to me. Some of the schools in Birmingham are definitely not as diverse.
happydays1

Post by happydays1 »

helen0209 wrote:I believe KEA you have to travel to the sports facilities as well?
I will ask that question tomorrow and see what I can find out as I believe they have a new astro turf if you go November and want company let me know I may join you for a second look if I need to
shakey

Post by shakey »

I've come across many dps over the years who will not send their dc to hgs because of lack of white kids and because of the area. Similar things are said about kea,kehgs and of the camp hill schools to some extent.
Fw and bv are definitely popular choices for these same dps especially in the last 4-5 years.
It's not being prejudiced they say but where they feel their dcs will be comfortable (their words).
Nard

Post by Nard »

Petitpois wrote:
Nard wrote: It is classed as being second rate and maybe on par with better comprehensives in and around Birmingham.

According to 2014 admissions data there were 5 "white" kids in the school. That's a significant change from the 1980's when I used to ramp around those parts.

So where are "white" kids in the KE Grammar system?

Handsworth Boys (0.5%)
KEA (29.7%)
KEHGS (30%)
CHB (42%)
KECHG (42.8%)
SGGS (42.9%)
BV (60.4%)
KEFW (61%)

When you use reference spot the white kid, I am uncertain what your saying. What it is that your speaking up about?? Are you suggesting the HGS is a complete outlier in terms of the admission of white kids. I would not conclude that as there are other schools in Birmingham with similarly low numbers of white kids.

The only thing I can conclude is that the grammars seem fairly diverse to me. Some of the schools in Birmingham are definitely not as diverse.
My point was that HGS wasn't attracting the white boys because of the reputation of the school and the area it is in. I wasn't saying that it didn't want these boys at the school but perhaps DP's didn't want their boys to go to the school both because of the ethnic mix and the area of the school. I think that these reasons aren't freely admitted by most DP's as it isn't the right thing to say. Just my opinion!!
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

No doubt people will make their choices this year similarly to how they usually do.

I know if I had a choice between Handsworth Grammar and say Bartley Green school (78%) white kids, the ethnicity of the kids at bartley green would not be a factor.

each to their own
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Nard I don't think we disagree. All I am saying is look at a variety of schools and you will see many dominated by one or two ethnic group. it works multiple ways

Many parents are duplicitous in saying one thing and then behaving another contradictory way. 11+ has highlighted that for sure
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now