Results sent in error

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Secret

Results sent in error

Post by Secret »

Hi all
I have been a lurker for a while and did try to log in but forgot the log in info then did not bother after that but enjoyed reading the posts of the famous five et al, made me chuckle a few times but now to the crux. :oops:

My mother in law called us this evening to say DS results have appeared to arrive at their house which is in Solihull so my dh trotted along to collect and it appears the candidate name is not our DS nor is the candidate number but we are dumbfounded as to why some other candidate name arrived at parents house. I thought initially maybe I inputted parents address by mistake but I recall receiving our paperwork directly to us from the FO.

We also ticked share with Warwickshire so will not now receive until tomorrow but my concern is what if results are our DSs results as these were below the QS scores :(

Well done to all who have received desired results and I am sure those who did not will do very well in any event :D
um

Re: RESULTS SENT IN ERROR

Post by um »

Sorry to hear this.

If you did not place your parents' address down at any point in the process, and the name is not your child's and that is not your child's candidate number, then I would assume that is not your child's score either.
Perhaps another parent wrote their address incorrectly?

I'd call the FO tomorrow to try and get a resolution to this, or if the phone is very busy, email them.
Secret

Post by Secret »

Thanks UM have already emailed this evening as no phone policy at work due to DPA so will only be able to call at lunch when they will no doubt not answer (have to nip out on loo visits to peek into the forum today lol :roll: )

Seems very idd for address mix up with address which would never have made its way to FO in first place :oops: :evil:
Secret

Post by Secret »

Secret wrote:Thanks UM have already emailed this evening as no phone policy at work due to DPA so will only be able to call at lunch when they will no doubt not answer (have to nip out on loo visits to peek into the forum today lol :roll: )

Seems very idd for address mix up with address which would never have made its way to FO in first place :oops: :evil:
Odd not idd!
Amarstone

Re: Results sent in error

Post by Amarstone »

It does seem odd but I also think that the most likely answer is that someone else has mislaid a digit in their address or something like that and the results are not your son's. Are there streets with similar names in the area? Where we used to live, there was much confusion between Margaret Grove and Margaret Road with post, taxis and take-away pizzas frequently arriving at the right number but the wrong road! Hope you get an answer soon.
BKK13

Post by BKK13 »

Hi

I wondered if you have managed to clarify this issue and if your results have been inadvertently confused with another candidate ?
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Hi, called FO on Friday about our missing Bham letter as we only received Warks.

I called the number on their website and a lady then gave me a direct line to the admissions office, although when trying to call this number it went to answer machine.

So I suggest you call FO today using both number on website and also this one
0121 415 6004.

I think you need to call Warwickshire School admissions.

If you registered through Birmingham and ticked to share with Warks you would have had both letters on Friday.

If you registered through Warks, then that letter would have arrived Friday, but Birmingham letter has not yet come.

Call both of them and see what's going on. (warks is a long winded recorded message. It you get though to someone in the end)
Secret

Post by Secret »

BKK13 wrote:Hi

I wondered if you have managed to clarify this issue and if your results have been inadvertently confused with another candidate ?
Hi thank you for your suggestions but our results came through on the Friday but ds got 195 which is not a huge shock as we did little prep and no tuition and did some practice papers from end July. Tuition was not big on our list our ds is in top groups and we are in Tudor Frange Solihull catchment and did move here 9.5 years ago for that reason- schools from infants to beyond.

Ds did really like the five ways feel and I was in two minds before results as to whether it would be worth the travel and after school,activities being restricted due to no green bus after school beyond the usual school finish time. I loved the presentation at Tudor grange and heard very good things of the new head from other teacher friends and results are very good for a non selective school. I know other Solihull parents who have tutored kids and some have got definite entry scores and others borderline last year waiting list entry level but not many in the former category.

It also looks like my parents in law address was being used unofficially :evil:

I do love this forum it's so informative but It does make me see how grammar schools are being infiltrated and manipulated by parents who have to throw money into tutoring just to get in with a chance given that cutoff scores are way over the qualifying scores.

The whole objective of the grammar schools being set up was for access to those less privileged but with some academivpc rigour being able to get access to a good education but that's a whole new thread that I could start :D
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

Secret wrote:
BKK13 wrote:Hi

I do love this forum it's so informative but It does make me see how grammar schools are being infiltrated and manipulated by parents who have to throw money into tutoring just to get in with a chance given that cutoff scores are way over the qualifying scores.

The whole objective of the grammar schools being set up was for access to those less privileged but with some academivpc rigour being able to get access to a good education but that's a whole new thread that I could start :D
I think it's a thread which has been started before! I hear what you're saying ( I've commented on another post about other ways of identifying potential and suggested interviewing students and teacher recommendations) but the system has been as it is for a long time. One of my friends who is now 45 went to CHG. She attended a private primary in Edgbaston and the school sent home bond papers as additional preparation so, even 34 years ago, it doesn't seem as if the schools were serving the inner-city and children were getting in without any tuition - although I appreciate she may not have been typical. Yes, in 1883 the schools were set up to help the less privileged but it is now 2015 and, at CHG anyway, many of the pupils are from independent preps. Knowing this, parents who can't afford indepedent schools but would like their children to attend a selective school have no choice but to encourage their children to put in extra time to improve their Maths and Literacy skills as, like any skills based activity, the more you time you put in, the better you get! And as the 11 plus is a competition, it makes sense to prepare for it as you would any other competition. I wouldn't call it manipulation: I would call it giving your children a fighting change against those who have attended independent prep schools. What are we supposed to do? Just let them turn up on the day and give it their best shot? If we did, then I suspect even more places would go to students from indepedent preps who sell themselves on 11 plus prep and have the time to do it well as they are not restricted by the National Curriculum.
Last edited by Amarstone on Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Also, you do not have to 'throw money at tutoring', many on here DIY tutor Andy hats as successful as paid for tutoring. It makes sense to prepare fo an exam that includes features that your child will not have seen before and as Amarstone correctly says, skill based exam questions will be more successfully completed the more practice a child does. You wouldn't go in to any other exam unprepared so why this one? That does not require paid tutoring. There is a massive resource on the Internet, youtube etc to help too.

It sounds like your dc is going to have a great choice of school so that all works out ok then.