KE Grammars - PP Initiative

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KenR

KE Grammars - PP Initiative

Post by KenR »

Article in the Independent today on the KE Grammars inclusive PP initiative "Top grammar schools boost intake from poorer institutions to shake ‘elitist’ tag"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 93256.html
Petitpois

Re: KE Grammars - PP Initiative

Post by Petitpois »

Got me very very worried if I am honest. If that 6% slack on PP at CHG gets fully taken up I know many on 230 ish mark whose second choice would be KEVIHS.

Any disproportionate shift over from CHG to KEVIHS combined with a full take up on their PP ie the additional 4%, could well mean that borderline scores last year become near misses this year.

I said it at the time, but I just don't think 219 will do it this year at KEVIHS. My additional fear factor in addition to the above was the relatively low numbers applying to KEVIHS last year.

May have to look at silver linings.

I find the whole debate on elitism some what schizoid. I really am interested in the outcome of the KES test, after we have given up the weekly focus on tutoring and additional homework in favour of pastoral activities.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Music to my ears.

Now if only Trafford will follow suit then my job will be done.
I will be out of here-I'm getting tired of being a lone Cat but the tide is turning :D

I was once in the gutter but I was looking up at the stars, I want no child to be denied a fair crack of the whip or at least not be discriminated against and squeezed out by savvy parents.
KenR

Post by KenR »

I thought it was interesting that the article mentioned that other Regions (Kent was specially mentioned) have been looking very closely at the initiative.

I know Kent has some particular educational challenges due to the extreme demographics within the county - I recall from conversations with Microsoft some year's ago that they were heavily involved in various technology initiatives the help redress the balance.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now