Maths123

Re: Waiting List movement 2016 entry

Post by Maths123 »

My daughter's score of 229 places her 46th on waiting list for CHG. :(

What are her chances?
DMC1

Post by DMC1 »

Maths123 wrote:My daughter's score of 229 places her 46th on waiting list for CHG. :(

What are her chances?
42 got in off the waiting list last year so not impossible?
Maths123

Post by Maths123 »

Thanks...looks like it will be a long wait, otherwise a long journey.

Are places still offered once the school year has begun?

Has anybody taken up places this way?
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Maths123 wrote:Thanks...looks like it will be a long wait, otherwise a long journey.

Are places still offered once the school year has begun?

Has anybody taken up places this way?
We got Sutton Girls last July from 45th and there were some girls who started there after start of term so took very late offers. Good luck.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Hi All, have heard for HGS that 207 is 33rd on waiting list.

Thanks for the hope booellesmum, shows that waiting lists really can move. Roll on July! :D
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Hi Um, another one for you - HGS 209 is 7th on list.
um

Post by um »

Thank you - I have updated the first thread on this post and hope that the lists move quickly for you all!
Baker04

Post by Baker04 »

I could well be asking you all the length of of a piece of string! But can any of our experienced 11+ DPs help with waiting list movements? DS is 14th for BV, are we talking days, weeks, months before things start moving? How often is reasonable to ring admissions to check position? I just want to know when this torture will be over (well for now anyway) and we can go back to normal life!

Thanks in advance

B
Ams

Post by Ams »

um wrote:I am aware of on 1 March 2016 (through posts and messages below):

238 - 19th on list for KECHB

233 - 18th on list for KECHG
229 - 46th on list for KECHG
227 - 71st on list for KECHG
211 - 3rd on PP waiting list for KECHG

232 - 22nd on list for KEFW
227 - 89th on list for KEFW
225 - 120th on list for KEFW

219 - 24th on list for KE Aston
219 - 25th on list for KE Aston

223 - 15th on list for KE Handsworth
222 - 20th on list for KE Handsworth
221 - 32nd on list for KE Handsworth
220 - 46th on list for KE Handsworth
(we know 43 girls offered KEH after offer day last year)

219 - 14th on list for BV
219 - 15th on list for BV
217 - 31st on list for BV

209 - 7th on list for Handsworth Grammar School (Boys)
207 - 33rd on list for Handsworth Grammar School (Boys)
206 - 45th on list for Handsworth Grammar School (Boys)

217 - 13th on list for Sutton Girls' Grammar

314 - last place offered at Wolverhampton Girls

hi I am new to this forum but I am following this forum from couple of months. My Son got score 221. He offered BV. Waiting list 5 in King Aston.
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Baker04 wrote:I could well be asking you all the length of of a piece of string! But can any of our experienced 11+ DPs help with waiting list movements? DS is 14th for BV, are we talking days, weeks, months before things start moving? How often is reasonable to ring admissions to check position? I just want to know when this torture will be over (well for now anyway) and we can go back to normal life!

Thanks in advance

B
Hi Baker04

Ok I really only know the Birmingham drill but imagine it will be the same in Sutton Coldfield.

Today or tomorrow parents should receive official offer letter. You will be given a deadline to accept offered school. Let's call that Accept offer day (in Brum it is March 16th I think).

(In the next days parents should receive welcome packs and (joy of joys) forms to fill in from offered school. This will include formal acceptance of offer form to return to school)

Meanwhile - DPs with the finances or AP offers/ bursaries may opt to go private. They can inform the school they are not taking up a place and that can lead to movement. (My view is they SHOULD inform school concerned as soon as possible to free up a place for another child)

After Accept Offer Day there will be the first wave of sudden movements as this is the first point state grammars actually know how many are definitely coming.

I can only go by 2014 entry in Birmingham but the next wave of wait list movements seemed to be in June just before city wide 'moving up day' and then a few heard in the summer. I don't know why for July/ August movement - if this was really parents undecided about going private or grammar or if this was undecided parents battling social conscious about grammar vs comps. (You can scoff but I know two families in 2014 entry had explosive arguments because of firmly held views against grammar schools in principle and the anti grammar parents were not expecting their kid to pass - both declined offers ultimately).

Birmingham city council (but assume same in other areas) will maintain your place on wait list for higher choice school(s) until Christmas 2016. After Christmas it is individual schools. My experience has been that children have been offered places in January so my advice is if you are still hopeful keep in good contact with LEA about wait list position in December and let school of choice know directly in December that you want to be on waitlist from January.

Baker04 with a current waitlist position of 14 you do have a good chance.

HANG TOUGH!