CH boys v KES

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
concerto

Re: CH boys v KES

Post by concerto »

I have tried hard not to responde to your selective memory, but here goes:
KES won the National Final of the Senior Team Maths Challenge two years in a row, beating Harrow, Westminster, St Paul's and CHB!!!!!!!!!!
KES has 27 Oxbridge offers beating CHB which has 12!!!!!!!!!
Jamie Philllips' brother went to KES!!!!!!!!!
brc

Post by brc »

KES boys won first and third prizes in the Chemical Reaction Challenge(a national quiz) hosted in partnership with the Royal society of chemistry, in which there were participants from over 125 schools. Not sure if CHB is part of it though!
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

One of the things that sets KEHS / KES apart is their non academic offer. The drama and music were superb (as just one example).

Now I am not saying that CHB or any of the other grammars don't have very good offers, but KEHS did have a lot on offer as well as nice lawns.

Ultimately a tough decision and one that is not yet over for us. May shock Quasimodo and Bob, by turning down both WGHS and KEVIHS in the end, lets see.

PP
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

concerto wrote:I have tried hard not to responde to your selective memory
You do not need to try hard not to respond :wink: . This is a forum where everyone is welcome to share their views. :D

My memory is not selective! I do not know KES as you do as my DS does not go there. :wink:

However, I will never accept for anyone to assert that, when having to chose between KES and CHB, you have to chose KES ‘without a shadow of doubt’. As PP can now appreciate, there is not much differences academically (please read my previous post about KES and CHB where I did an analogy with climbing the mount Everest). I really always try all my best to be impartial when explaining differences between KES and CHB; I would hope that forumites could recognise that fact! :roll: :roll: (Please, read first post on this page)
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... &start=100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
concerto wrote: Jamie Philllips' brother went to KES!!!!!!!!!
This is very interesting as this indicates that Jamie’s parents trusted CHB to give him all the musical support he needed to succeed in a musical career!!!! So this emphasies how good the music department is at CHB! There might not be a magnificent Performing Arts Centre like the Ruddock Hall, but nevertheless, the staff can support and guide the pupils to reach extremely high in music. That is all what is important in my eyes! And hats off to Mr P. - the head of music at CHB- who is so often at the school in the evening when some boys have to play on diverse occasions!
concerto wrote: KES won the National Final of the Senior Team Maths Challenge two years in a row, beating Harrow, Westminster, St Paul's and CHB!!!!!!!!!!
I do not know about all the quizzes and competitions that KES and CHB respectively sit and I do not have the time to try to do some research about that in order to respond to you. Both schools are excelling academically, that is all I know!

So good luck to those who have to chose between KES and CHB! :wink:
MSD

Post by MSD »

concerto wrote: KES has 27 Oxbridge offers beating CHB which has 12!!!!!!!!!
Let's make it 17 Oxbridge offers Concerto (not 12). That was in 2105 - not bad for a free school :D . It will be interesting to see how many of KES Oxbridge offers were in core subjects like Maths and Sciences, rather than Drama, Languages and Music.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Wow, intellectual snobbery or what?
MSD

Post by MSD »

mike1880 wrote:Wow, intellectual snobbery or what?
Sorry didn't get that Mike. Is that directed at my comment?
hoff

Post by hoff »

I also think the two schools are comparable.
Hall green harry

Post by Hall green harry »

My son did well on KES test and has been offered a place, however he also has Aston in the bag and may scrape into FW and even CH (will know more this time next week).

I stated somewhere else, that if I were a millionaire I'd plump for KES, however, 13k per year, rising to more that 20k (someone said 25k) by the time he finishes.... Well that's a lot of nice holidays and good family stuff we'd have to sacrifice. I'm not convinced that KES is worth that to your average working or even middle class family especially when he has a great school already (off to Aston open day shortly).

If you're really gung-ho for Oxbridge, then KES seems to the better choice, but surely the kinds of kids that do that are the kind who get scholarships or AP in the first place?

I know a few kids who have been offered places at KES who only scored just over 200 on the 11+ which tells me the majority of truly bright kids will be found at Grammars. You need to be bright to pass the KES test but not super bright.

The music and drama are out of this world, gardens lovely, but with another two siblings down the line not sure KES is worth the money!

Good luck in all of your deliberations... It's nice to have choices!
rimjhimm100

Post by rimjhimm100 »

We chose a Grammar School (KES Stratford) over KES too inspite of a scholarship offer. It depends on what you are looking for, whether the school suits your child and finances of course.

It cannot be presumed that if one goes to KES, Oxbridge is guaranteed.....or that a GS may not lead to that!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now