CH boys v KES

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rimjhimm100

Re: CH boys v KES

Post by rimjhimm100 »

I know a few kids who have been offered places at KES who only scored just over 200 on the 11+ which tells me the majority of truly bright kids will be found at Grammars. You need to be bright to pass the KES test but not super bright.quote]

We found that too, many boys got into KES from our school though they didn't bag places at CHB/KEFW!
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

If money is no object go KES....
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Not all people who have money chose KES, many still prefer CHB...
KenR

Post by KenR »

HappyRobot wrote:If money is no object go KES....
Not necessarily so, many parents whose children have high aspirations in maths (or physics) at university choose one of the KE grammars to avoid the need to move after GCSEs as IB is acknowledged by many as not being as good a preparation as Maths and Further Maths at A Level

Quite a number of boys leave after GCSE
Openminded

Post by Openminded »

Agree. Those were main reasons we chose CHB over KES (move to IB, kids with maths/science ability who liked languages much less so potential need to move to an A level school after GCSE)
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I have one son at KES. His younger brother is going to CHB, although he had a full fee place at KES (we'd have had to have a discussion with the bursar, but we weren't completely unable to fund it). We have a few reasons (other than the money, which we didn't want to drive the decision if we could manage it):

1. He really wants to (his best friend also has a place).
2. He is a keen mathematician and his brother prefers languages.
3. He is self driven and his brother needs more chivvying/handholding.
4. He is also musical but already involved with Sandwell Youth Music orchestra, so I'm content that CHB music will be more than adequate (we preferred CHB to QMGS for this reason).
5. We worked out that the journey time was about equal.

So it'll be three kids at three different KE Foundation schools. Happy to offer consultations with a wide view on the difference between the provision!
MSD

Post by MSD »

Wow Turtlegirl! You must have your hands full with three journeys, all in different directions. Educationally, have you noticed any glaring difference between KES and QMGS?
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I don't do three journeys, thankfully! We are well served by public transport where we live.

The results for QMGS are pretty impressive http://www.qmgs.walsall.sch.uk/index.ph ... Itemid=137. And of course, the results don't reflect the individual child, so I would expect my youngest to do pretty well wherever he goes to school. All these schools have excellent teaching (with the odd blip) and very bright children. I've not done an exhaustive comparison between the schools though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now