Queen Marys Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Little miss positive

Queen Marys Boys

Post by Little miss positive »

Hi All,

I am new to this site and would really appreciate your help.

My son scored 319 for Queen Marys boys and the cut off is 321.

I was informed he was 20 on the waiting list on Tuesday, and they can't tell me how many others boys are 20.

Does anyone know what his chances are ??? There does not seem to be much talk about QM boys on this forum.

Also does QM boys have a lot of movement on the waiting list ! Hoping it does as its not in Birmingham.

Many thanks, worried mum !!!
scary mum

Re: Queen Marys Boys

Post by scary mum »

I'm not sure what you mean? If he is 20th on the waiting list there are 19 ahead of him. What do you mean by how many other boys are 20?
scary mum
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

The school seems like it is as sought after as camp hill boys, However you will get many choosing wolverhampton grammar It is much much harder to make calls on these schools as there is a paucity of info.

If you are close to the school that will help you chances hugely

I think you meant you don't know how many other boys are 319. It is the 20 you need to focus on.
Stay positive
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Looking at cut offs last couple of years 325 went down to 318 then 321 went to 318

Last year was 322 but no last in number. Ring em back and ask last year's last in. My guess is that 321 This years means last in could be 319. Are you close to the school????
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Little miss positive wrote:Hi All,

I am new to this site and would really appreciate your help.

My son scored 319 for Queen Marys boys and the cut off is 321.

I was informed he was 20 on the waiting list on Tuesday, and they can't tell me how many others boys are 20.

Does anyone know what his chances are ??? There does not seem to be much talk about QM boys on this forum.

Also does QM boys have a lot of movement on the waiting list ! Hoping it does as its not in Birmingham.

Many thanks, worried mum !!!
Hi,

I think you should change your name to Big Miss positive.I have not known the exact cut off on offers day last year I have heard 324 and I have heard 322 on this forum recently I don't know what is correct.You have the last cut offs for the last places from the waiting lists in the letter from the school which from memory were 318 and 319 for 2014 and 2015.The cut off this year was 321.

I think you have a good chance of a place.

I think there has been a lot of distortion of the results this year more so than other years with all the outside sitters who have no intent of taking a place in the school.

There are 30 extra places at the school this year compared to last year.I also have heard at my daughters ex
prep school and my nephews school they have had a very good year compared to last.Only about 4 boys had offers and went to the school.This year they have 13 offers and the majority are likely to go.The school is part of the QM schools foundation.

Admissions to the school are strictly on the scores in the exam.Here is a link for their policy.

http://www.qmgs.walsall.sch.uk/_content ... ements.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There seem to less people from Walsall and Wolverhampton contributing to the forum maybe there are more lurkers.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I have had two further thoughts.

Firstly we do not know whether the school has made offers at the PAN (published admissions number) or over offered.Maybe someone can find this out when speaking to the school when enquiring about waiting lists.I strongly suspect it has been at PAN based on what other schools have been doing recently.If that is the case then scores will fall rapidly and more places will be allocated from the waiting list.

Secondly there was reference to Wolverhampton Grammar in a recent post.The school is independent and takes both boys and girls.It has little or no impact on places at QM boys as the boys I know who attend the school from Walsall have generally not got Grammar places or places at independent schools like Kes.It certainly doesn't apply to all as I know a girl from Wolverhampton who was capable of passing the grammar school exams her parents chose the school as her father and aunts had been educated there.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Inspector General

Post by Inspector General »

It is rather odd that the cut off score is upwards of 320 given that the Headmaster speculated in a letter to prospective parents that it was likely to be 310 on the basis of all the additional places.

Trying to interpret this is very curious - have applications overall gone up, given the extra places, or has this school become particularly popular relative to other grammars? I also wonder whether parents with a choice of QMS or AGS(perhaps some of those living in Wolverhampton) might have gone for QMS on the basis of the unknowns of the AGS new admissions policy?

Whatever the reason the Head has inadvertently raised hopes which may now be disappointed for some, although in the case of Little Miss Positive's DS I sincerely hope for a place from the waiting list (must be those 'positive' vibes). :D
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

https://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/help ... ar-schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Inspector General wrote: Trying to interpret this is very curious - have applications overall gone up, given the extra places, or has this school become particularly popular relative to other grammars? I also wonder whether parents with a choice of QMS or AGS(perhaps some of those living in Wolverhampton) might have gone for QMS on the basis of the unknowns of the AGS new admissions policy?
It is always worrying when a school will not let parents know the scores of their own children.There is always a reason for it. I don't know AGS never been there apart from a glance at its website.

Abraham Lincoln
Little miss positive

Post by Little miss positive »

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your comments : )

QM boys is not allowed to tell me how many others boys are on the waiting list at 319. So for all I know there could be another 20 boys on the same score as my son. If scores are tied it will come down to individual scores on the separate papers.

Never know stress like this before !!!!

The school have mentioned it could not be till the end of April before they inform me or even possibility later....

I just hope the waiting list gets smaller as children get there preferred choice.

Trying to stay positive !!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now