King Edward Aston VS Bishop Vessy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ams

King Edward Aston VS Bishop Vessy

Post by Ams »

Hi There,

Is anyone know about KEA vs Bhishop Vessy as my DS offered Bishop Vesey and he is waiting list in KEA. I came to know that definitely my DS will be offered in KEA as well, so we are new to Birmingham and do not have much informtion on both schools, hence, i would request you to please shed some information on KEA vs BV which one is good in all aspects.

Thanks
Turtlegirl

Re: King Edward Aston VS Bishop Vessy

Post by Turtlegirl »

I don't have first hand knowledge of either school, but both have very good reputations.

A major consideration should be the travelling time to each school. An extra 15 minutes each way adds up to a lot of time over a year, and added exhaustion and inability to participate in after school activities, whether in school or near to home.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Don't know about KEA but DH went to Vesey and 2 of DD's cousins are there. It is a great school. I would echo the sentiment about travel. My 2 DD's at Sutton Girls and never considered KE schools due to extra travel.
On a selfish note the travel was a consideration for me as well. I work 20 miles from home in the opposite direction to their school. I knew I would have to attend parents evenings, shows etc and to be honest I really didn't want to be travelling so far after work to get there. Also in an emergency I am closer or Nanny, who is local, can get them. I would say consider everything and weigh up those pros and cons!
doc_s

Post by doc_s »

If I frame a similar question but with CHB vs BV for someone living in Sutton?
Views please...
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

doc_s wrote:If I frame a similar question but with CHB vs BV for someone living in Sutton?
Views please...
Some people from Sutton do the daily commute because they consider that their children will be more pushed academically at CHB (which is true). Some other people prefer their children not to lose lots of time in the transport; in that case:
they chose BV and are happy with it as it is a GS
or they move the Kings Heath (like our family did).

Frankly, I took me a bit of time to get used to Kings Heath as at the beginning I was still doing my shopping at Sutton :shock: :lol: (laughing at myself. :lol: But I have to say that for some time, I was doing the 'taxi driver' between Sutton and Kings Heath so doing the shopping from Kings Heath to Sutton meant just going in the opposite directions! :lol: :lol: ).
Now, I have just kept my optometrist at Specsaver in Sutton as she has known my DS for years (his eyesight was really deteriorating for years! :( ) and it is just a pleasure to see her each time we go back for the annual or sixth months appointment!! I know that there is a Specsaver in KH but when you trust someone, errrr, it is hard to change! :D And each time, I take my 'trip ' to Suttton as an excuse to visit some friends there! :D :D
z-g

Post by z-g »

Hi, my DS attends KEA and loves it! A very organised school with lots of support from the teachers. Hope this helps.
Ams

Post by Ams »

z-g wrote:Hi, my DS attends KEA and loves it! A very organised school with lots of support from the teachers. Hope this helps.

Hi
How about teaching in Aston school. How about area Aston is it safe kids travel alone?
We are about to shift to Birmingham. I don't know which area is good near Aston school. Sutton Coldfield area is good but it is too far and more over future perspective if we want to buy a house the prices are very high in Sutton. That is the I am not able to decide which school to choose.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Why don't you come to Birmingham this week end to visit the two areas? They are indeed VERY different. It is really better for you to see by yourself as everyone is different and has different needs.
Good luck with your choice. :wink:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Ams wrote: Sutton Coldfield area is good but it is too far and more over future perspective if we want to buy a house the prices are very high in Sutton.
If you wish to buy a house not too expensive near Sutton and with easy connection with BV, you could look near the border Erdington/Sutton Coldfield. If I remember well, there were even houses on the north side of Chester road which were still with no stamp duty ( so maybe still part of Erdington despite Chester road which is a large road having its roots in Roman times).. This info about stamp duty dates back to several years ago, so this might have changed. :? However, I am under the impression that it could be an idea worth to explore by visiting estate agents in this area.
The connection by bus to BV will then just to take a bus to go up Birmingham road. Or even the train as there is the ‘Chester road ‘ station nearby. I do not know which one would be the cheapest and fastest solution.

This is just one idea, there might be many others that other forumites could share!
Ams

Post by Ams »

JaneEyre wrote:
Ams wrote: Sutton Coldfield area is good but it is too far and more over future perspective if we want to buy a house the prices are very high in Sutton.
If you wish to buy a house not too expensive near Sutton and with easy connection with BV, you could look near the border Erdington/Sutton Coldfield. If I remember well, there were even houses on the north side of Chester road which were still with no stamp duty ( so maybe still part of Erdington despite Chester road which is a large road having its roots in Roman times).. This info about stamp duty dates back to several years ago, so this might have changed. :? However, I am under the impression that it could be an idea worth to explore by visiting estate agents in this area.
The connection by bus to BV will then just to take a bus to go up Birmingham road. Or even the train as there is the ‘Chester road ‘ station nearby. I do not know which one would be the cheapest and fastest solution.

This is just one idea, there might be many others that other forumites could share!
Hi thanks for your reply. we r interested in BV I also have one daughter yr3. For her sake also Sutton Coldfield grammer school is there. That is the reason ok we decided to plan to buy house in Sutton Coldfield in future. But compare to Aston with in 5 miles house prices are high in BV ( with in 5miles). how about Erdington and kingstanding areas. Some of our friends telling the areas are not good.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now